Sonos, a wonder of New and Interesting things

• 4 June 2017
  • 4 replies

I bought sonos many years ago and grew my system by adding more items to find that I was being left behind by other systems. The list of things that I can't do just grew and grew too. Till now I've another product that does almost everything. By the way, I tried to talk to sonos many times

The things Sonos say they can do and don't allows me to stand at a sonos sales point listening to a sales person describe the system to a potential client and contradict almost everything they say.

The salesman says.
1.You can play your music at any time. I say no! Only if you have an internet connection. How often do you not have the internet? Well, ever time you don't your speakers are useless. They say you can get around this. Yes you can, I'll take you half and hour on the phone if you can get through to someone that knows what he's doing.
2. Also if you take your Sonos to your friends you must get into his internet. That'll take a reset. Can you find out how to do that without spending hours on the internet or going to your local dealer 30minutes drive down the road.
3. Also if your friend comes to you and wants to use your speakers for his music he can't
4. Also you want to watch your companies presentation with decent sound on your wonderful speakers you can't
5. Also you watching your Youtube Video and guess what you can't use the speakers you paid for.
Are they speakers? or are they a very bad app, Very nicely made but, useless because of the app. Conditional speakers?, conditions that you don't associate with buying speakers.
6. You can play Spotify through your sonos. I say No, you can't. Only if you are a paid up subscriber.Your Spotify is mobile your sonos is fixed to the wifi.

Nothing new, nothing interesting. Pick another product, as I did.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The salesman says.
Whilst many a salesman can be a bit inaccurate, let's have a go at considering these points.

1.You can play your music at any time. I say no! Only if you have an internet connection. How often do you not have the internet? Well, ever time you don't your speakers are useless. They say you can get around this. Yes you can, I'll take you half and hour on the phone if you can get through to someone that knows what he's doing.

No. You can play any local music so long as you have a network connection. No broadband connection is required, unless of course you want to stream an internet source.

2. Also if you take your Sonos to your friends you must get into his internet. That'll take a reset. Can you find out how to do that without spending hours on the internet or going to your local dealer 30minutes drive down the road.

No. It does not require a reset. Just wire a player to the friend's router. Enter their WiFi details into the Sonos unit if you want. It can then be detached and operated wirelessly. On return to your own system it would be prudent to reset, just to clear the friend's WiFi details.

3. Also if your friend comes to you and wants to use your speakers for his music he can't

No. He can. Put a Sonos controller app on his phone and add it to your system. He can then play on-device music.

4. Also you want to watch your companies presentation with decent sound on your wonderful speakers you can't

If you mean by Bluetooth, no you can't automatically. You have CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP and PLAY:5. All have a Line-In. Just plug in a Bluetooth audio receiver. They're trivially cheap.

5. Also you watching your Youtube Video and guess what you can't use the speakers you paid for.
Are they speakers? or are they a very bad app, Very nicely made but, useless because of the app. Conditional speakers?, conditions that you don't associate with buying speakers.

Name a networked speaker which streams YouTube direct (not Bluetooth via a phone/computer). Google won't permit the streaming of audio separate from the visual ads which generate their revenue.

6. You can play Spotify through your sonos. I say No, you can't. Only if you are a paid up subscriber.Your Spotify is mobile your sonos is fixed to the wifi.

Yes, and Spotify set the policies. All hardware streamers require a premium subscription. Complain to Spotify. And having spent so much on Sonos why be so cheap as to assume that music is free?

Pick another product, as I did.

Go on. Tell us what it is.
@Lucky Me. I think it quite an achievement to have owned Sonos for so long and yet still be able to make as many factually incorrect statements about it as you have.

To @ratty's many excellent points I would just add that with a Sonos component with a line in you can easily play YouTube audio and free Spotify, and you don't even need a local network for that.

And Spotify Connect means that friends can also stream their Spotify music through each other's Sonos..

I am also curious to learn about this other product that does so much that Sonos...er...actually does do anyway.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
What a whinger. Buy something else then!

Go on. Tell us what it is.

My bet it is a bluetooth speaker:-).