Something big coming? Let the speculation begin...

Show first post

147 replies

Something interesting about the Google response. It must be also tied into the Sonos controller app somehow. I am playing a Go-Betweens track on my Sonos, and the Sonos android app is open. I have two Sonos zones grouped together; Kitchen + another room.. I asked Google what the Sonos was. The (audible) response was instaneous. It correctly identified the Song, but identified the artist as 'Kitchen plus One the Go-Betweens'.

If I close the Sonos app, it takes a little longer (maybe 2 seconds), but correctly identifies the artist name.

If the Sonos controller is open Google simply scrapes the information from the text displayed. If it's closed it must do an audio analysis
Singed up for Spotify's 30 day trial, in anticipation of Spotify Connect coming to Sonos soon, plus its availability via Echo and, eventually, voice control on Sonos.

What an awful App! What's up with the black background? Completely contrary to modern UI design. Then it's completely different on the iPad vs the Tab S2 vs in the Sonos app. Apple Music is at least consistent across platforms. Sigh. Once again, I greatly prefer the Sonos app.

Set it as the default music source on the Echo. This does work nicely. Was able to ask Alexa to play albums by name, sweet. Looking forward to the Sonos/Alexa integration, even if it must be Spotify. Sound quality of Echo is marginal, at best, so will be great if this works well on the far better sounding Sonos.

Maybe Spotify Connect will work better than Google casting to Sonos, which always took at least three attempts to start casting, at least on my network, where the Sonos app starts first time, every time. We will find out soon enough, though doubt I'll use ithe, given the awful Spotify app.
Interesting chicks re Spotify app, given the criticisms of Sonos app from some. Long time since I used Spotify so can't comment but from screenshots I've seen with the black background I would tend to agree with you. Hopefully in time (!) all the major players will come on board. I do prefer the Apple Music app for that service, so generally use airplay/ line in for Apple. Using Alexa (when if arrives in U.K.) plus option of Apple Music app directly to Sonos would/will be great.
The other thing that is disappointing to an extent is that other than Spotify, all the rest of the announcements are to just keep the markets interested enough to not keep bleeding share to Amazon. It looks like there is a wide range of possibility/usability in how the voice thing will come into the Sonos platform and things will remain murky, for many more months of speculation. Very much a half baked cake, is my assessment of things, dictated by marketing compulsions. Or survival compulsions? I would not have thought of that word before reading what sounded like panicky Sonos reactions to Echo success a few months ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Maybe Spotify Connect will work better than Google casting to Sonos, which always took at least three attempts to start casting, at least on my network, where the Sonos app starts first time, every time. We will find out soon enough, though doubt I'll use ithe, given the awful Spotify app.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I much prefer the subtle white on black of spotify than the glaring black on white of sonos. I only use on my iphone and laptop (windows) where the UI is pretty consistent aside from the obvious ability to fit more stuff onto the screen on a PC ! It also depends which features you use on spotify as to how well the sonos implementation meets your needs. My brief experience (free trial) with apple was not very favourable as I found (in the app) the options to navigate in different directions and perform different functions more limited the Spotify. Also the inability to save back to apple (e.g. create or add to playlist) from Sonos is a showstopper for me.

As for Spotify Connect, its 100% reliable in my experience. I have a 'connect' enabled speaker in my home office and a Panasonic ALL1C connected to my playbar (optical) to then share with other sonos devices.
I think perhaps those who criticize the Sonos app are more into the social media aspects of the app. I am primarily a jazz and traditional "world" music fan, who couldn't care less about the social media stuff.

Also, Spotify has one "new music" category, full of crap I care nothing about. Apple Music divides new music into genres, so I can skip the pop/rock/rap junk completely.

Spotify also buries jazz, blues, classical genres near the bottom of the genre menu, so I have to scroll through all the uninteresting stuff to get to what I'm interested in. You think a music app in 2016 would be smart enough to adapt to my tastes. AM does this very well, by showing me what I'm interested in right up front. Spotify seems much more interested in selling me on the lowest common denominator, the crap most people listen to.
Is Sonos Alexa's "killer app"? This guy thinks so...

"Meanwhile, Amazon has a great, if nascent, technology with Alexa. But the app and device platform, while growing, has lacked its killer app. I think Sonos support could be Alexa’s killer app, especially for music lovers."

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/09/amazon-echo-will-be-able-to-control-your-sonos-speakers-soon/
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

As for Spotify Connect, its 100% reliable in my experience. I have a 'connect' enabled speaker in my home office and a Panasonic ALL1C connected to my playbar (optical) to then share with other sonos devices.

My experience has been the opposite. Albeit a good idea in theory, the Spotify Connect sync to the cloud often gets corrupted and although I have a playlist with several 100s of songs, it keeps repeating 50 of them, until I requeue the playlist.

I guess a lot of people don't identify this since many playlists are short than that, but I'm confused that not more people seem to be genuinely annoyed with it. It could of course be the speaker I use (Pioneer XW-SMA3), but I can clearly see in the spotify app that the top song in queue moves to the bottom when skipping track.

Hopefully the Sonos integration will work differently, because I like the idea of switching seamlessly from mobile playback to stationary playback. But even that is broken most of the time.. (between desktop and mobile app).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My experience has been the opposite. Albeit a good idea in theory, the Spotify Connect sync to the cloud often gets corrupted and although I have a playlist with several 100s of songs, it keeps repeating 50 of them, until I requeue the playlist.

I guess a lot of people don't identify this since many playlists are short than that, but I'm confused that not more people seem to be genuinely annoyed with it. It could of course be the speaker I use (Pioneer XW-SMA3), but I can clearly see in the spotify app that the top song in queue moves to the bottom when skipping track.

Hopefully the Sonos integration will work differently, because I like the idea of switching seamlessly from mobile playback to stationary playback. But even that is broken most of the time.. (between desktop and mobile app).

strange. I have a 634 song playlist currently loaded and playing via my ALL1C + Playbar and it doesnt exhibit those issues. I can change track using my PC or iphone, the music changes and the other app immediately updates to reflect the change without any lag. Only thing that bugs me is that I cant change track from the phone lockscreen as the controls disappear when using spotify connect. I also have the SMA3 and likewise havent found any issues there either. I run the Spotify IOS beta which you might imagine being even more buggy.
It's worse than I thought. The Spotify app has a giant green button labeled "Shuffle Play". I never, ever, ever, ever play albums in shuffle mode; how disrespectful to the artists and producers of the album! So, I go to Spotify's forums to find a way to disable this "feature". Shocked to discover that it can't be disabled, despite users asking for it for years. Unbelievably poor design! The only way to play an album the way it was intended is to click on the much smaller title of the first song.

My fear is that Sonos voice control will be limited to Spotify, Pandora and the radio tuners that are available on the Echo. I do hope I won't be stuck subscribing to Spotify to get voice control. Say it ain't so, Sonos! :(

I do hope Pandora revives RDIO, and Amazon provides it on Echo... It was far and away the best service.
Upcoming $90 Fire tablet with Alexa support should be ideal as a Sonos remote, supporting Sonos app and voice control.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018SZT3BK

Looks the their $50 tablet now has Alexa support, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@chicks - cool. Battery life on the $50 one is 9 hours under heavy use; the $90 one is rated at 12 hrs, according to Amazon. Not bad. Battery life is where the low end Android tablets can really show their limitations. I bought a $30 generic Android tablet and I could actually watch the battery indicator level dropping from minute to minute - for real. Them Fires are pretty good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
for those UK based, this morning amazon announced the Echo and Dot are coming to UK in Sept & Oct respectively.
Prime members get a £50 discount on Echo pre-order by 5pm tomorrow bringing it to £100.
Dot is £50

Also going to be released in Germany
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
$49.99 for the Amazon Dot is a STEAL! Grab one quick. This is great news for UK residents. Unlike the original, you don't need to order through an existing Alexa product.
$49.99. Dot gen. 2. White and black models. Buy 5, get one free. Also bundling with Bose (for line-in use only) for "voice control". Hmmm, wait till Sonos voice control launches, I imagine a bundle is coming.
Just ordered a white one. Chromecast Audio? Who needs it? Instantly outdated.

Sonos no doubt knew this was coming, definitely made the right move hooking up with Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I orders a couple. Then went back and just ordered 6. A couple for my vacation house and maybe a couple as gifts
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
looks like they reduced mechanics a bit to get cost down. Old one had the volume ring like normal echo. Replaced ring with up down volume buttons on new version.
Badge
It's worse than I thought. The Spotify app has a giant green button labeled "Shuffle Play". I never, ever, ever, ever play albums in shuffle mode; how disrespectful to the artists and producers of the album! So, I go to Spotify's forums to find a way to disable this "feature". Shocked to discover that it can't be disabled, despite users asking for it for years. Unbelievably poor design! The only way to play an album the way it was intended is to click on the much smaller title of the first song.

My fear is that Sonos voice control will be limited to Spotify, Pandora and the radio tuners that are available on the Echo. I do hope I won't be stuck subscribing to Spotify to get voice control. Say it ain't so, Sonos! :(

I do hope Pandora revives RDIO, and Amazon provides it on Echo... It was far and away the best service.

Wow give me a break. Spotify may not have the best user interface, but it is not THAT bad. As you mentioned, you can play the album as it was intended by clicking the first song. It's not difficult. And personally, I prefer to shuffle albums and would say you are probably in the minority. Why would the developer tailor the app to the minority? Not everyone has 1+ hours to sit down and listen to an entire album from start to finish every time they listen to music. And if/when you do, take another 1.5 seconds and scroll to the first song and hit play. There's no need for a disable shuffle button for something so easily solved by clicking the first song.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/26/apple-adds-sonos-speakers-to-its-stores-as-it-focuses-on-wireless-audio/
Intriguing , after links with Spotify (largest streaming service), Amazon, (largest online retailer?), now Apple......
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos is a good fit with Apple's, generally, more upmarket retail items and perfect for advertising Apple music.

The future of Apple's W1 chip looks interesting.
I am wondering if Apple will be allowing anyone else to have access to the W1 chip. I don't think that they have, so far, but wouldn't it be nice in a year or two if it was included in a multitude of devices?