Something big coming? Let the speculation begin...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
http://www.slashgear.com/sonos-has-big-news-august-30th-is-it-alexa-voice-control-12451637/

147 replies

http://uk.businessinsider.com/sonos-august-30-event-voice-control-app-improvements-2016-8
"We've heard that Sonos' goal is to make it so third-party services can integrate better with the platform instead of making users control music from the Sonos app, which has been panned for its clunky interface. "

Clunky interface? Much better than needing to use a plethora of native apps, each completely different than the other. Sigh. Oh well, at least the option will be there. I never use the Google native app, just doesn't work as well as the Sonos app.

Voice control will, I guess, be via the native apps and Siri / OK Google?
Ah, I get it. This will allow the cheapskates to cast the free tier of Spotify, Slacker, etc to Sonos. The providers will be happy because their ads will display on the phone / tablet.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The recent 6.4 changes shows, imho, that Sonos are still interested in improving their own app experience (even if the responses have differed on how much of an improvement it is), so I don't see why you see support for app casting as something negative... to me it sounds like a big positive that Sonos are aiming to make it as easy as possible (no matter your preference) to play music.
Not being negative. If using native apps works for you, great! I'm perfectly happy using the Sonos app.
I'm noticing large factions of users that are centered around a certain App's look and feel. I call them "factions" because they will loudly denounce any other way of approaching things -- there is only one way and every thing else is stupid, ignoring the user, bad business, or whatever.

At this point it would not be very hard to include some scripting hooks in the SONOS Apps and/or the services allowing the native service App to interact with the SONOS system. This would please anyone with "must have" service features to have all of these features while at the same time it allows the service to push promotions and social media onto the user.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Since one of the news pieces mentions that some of the streaming partners of Sonos will be present for the press conference, I am guessing that the app streaming will be through some kind of custom protocol, and not Google Cast. And that the partners present will be those who initially have added support for it in their apps.
From a Sonos job post:

"A key element of our future strategy is empowering third party developers to create innovative experiences on the Sonos system. New visions of Music Services, Home Theater, Home Automation and more will challenge us to maintain the high quality for which Sonos is renowned."

So, the big announcement may be about the expansion of Sonos Partners API to embrace Home Automation, including voice control, along with allowing more providers to cast to Sonos from their apps.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Pretty disappointing if that is all the 'big announcement' is about. How about something like high rez?
Pretty disappointing if that is all the 'big announcement' is about. How about something like high rez?

Now THAT would be disappointing, as it would put Sonos in the silly camp. Ain't gonna happen.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Would love to see Playbar 2 there with DTS and HDMI. But it seems that there won't be new hardware released!
If NAS development has been frozen, there isn't any resource for hi res; with a Sonos stated focus on voice and streaming services, where is the need in that picture for hi res?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Maybe the folks from Audible will be there.
The folks from Audible would be Amazon. They may well be there if Alexa integration is announced. Who knows?
Bluetooth speakers are starting to add Siri and Google Now voice control. I'm assuming they have built-in microphones for their speakerphone functionality. Not sure this would work for Sonos.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/21/ultimate-ears-siri-google-now-ue-boom-megaboom/
From a Sonos Test Manager job posting.

"We expect rapid growth in the applications delivered by our development partners. It will be critical to develop a vision and strategy for scaling your team to ensure rapid turnaround. You must attract top talent while at the same time knitting together geographically separated groups into a cohesive team. Hiring is a high priority for this role, and it is important that you enjoy meeting talented people, assessing their skills, and educating them about careers at Sonos. "

So, opening up the platform more than it currently is to third party development must be in the cards. Voice Control? Home Automation? Casting?

The Home Automation API was actually announced to be coming back in October of last year, but perhaps the opening of AVS has changed it somewhat.

http://www.twice.com/news/home-automation/sonos-open-api-simplify-integration-smart-home-systems/59066
Denon, ever the Sonos copycat, also has a big announcement planned Aug 30th.

http://pop.dmglobal.com/Denon-AUG-16-Prepare-to-be-impressed-UK
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
i'd prefer native apps casting to Sonos and therefore letting Sonos focus on their real strength, great wireless speakers... but this alone is certainly not a huge announcement. integrating a simple fix for voice command
Userlevel 2
Badge
Amazon Echo integration!!!
I would only consider using a music service native app if it worked like the sonos app does now - just points the sonos speaker to the stream and let's the speaker pull the stream in. I don't want an 'AirPlay' style solution where the stream comes to my phone and then gets sent to the speaker, that would be a battery drain on the phone and a huge step back IMO.
Battery drain, bandwidth hog, dependent on phone processing, dependent on phone actually being there, plays alert messages over the music, etc. Airplay/Bluetooth streaming solutions were out of date the day they were released, because Sonos was doing it better before them.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Battery drain, bandwidth hog, dependent on phone processing, dependent on phone actually being there, plays alert messages over the music, etc. Airplay/Bluetooth streaming solutions were out of date the day they were released, because Sonos was doing it better before them.

Exactly.

Sonos! Don't start 'fixing' things that aren't actually problems!
I agree; I can't see an Airplay styled solution coming, and a good thing, that. I moved to Sonos back in 2011 after my first steps in wireless music with Airplay were nowhere capable of replacing legacy wired kit; Sonos has let me do that. Why go back 5 years and more?

It sounds like native app casting is what will be released, and I don't see much value in that after the initial eye candy excitement, but time will tell. One concern is that it won't be able to utilise the strengths of Sonos Net.

Voice control commands into a phone seems a bit pointless to me - an inconvenient way of saying me too to Amazon, IMO.

I am therefore not particularly excited about the Aug 30 thing.
Why on earth wouldn't casting be able to use Sonosnet? They're at totally different layers.
Now that I think of it, I see your point; I just assumed so based on how Chromecast Audio works using WiFi for both the casting command and subsequent music streaming. Sonos need not work that way, so eye candy native app use may not have a downside. So, if Apple is included in the apps that will do this, something new to play around with soon.