Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post

280 replies

Some of Tom Waits, if you can handle his whiskey-soaked voice, lol. This album is essentially jazz; Waits is backed by a jazz trio including the great Shelly Manne.

Thank you, I shall certainly check it out; I discovered him via The Wire - Way down in the hole is a classic.
In the meantime, from an Amazon review:
"The Small Change vocals are the Maginot Line for me. Any raspier and I can't listen. If I were stranded on a desert island and I could take only one Waits album, it would be Small Change. If I could take two, it would be Small Change and Heart of Saturday Night. If I could take three, I would pass and take an extra pair of underwear."
Also read this:
"Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding as though "it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car".
LOL.
Veronica Swift is a gifted young jazz vocalist, 2nd place winner of the Thelonious Monk competition a couple of years ago. No CDs yet, but rough mixes of her upcoming release are on SoundCloud, search for Unlimited Myles.

https://www.veronicaswift.com

In my recent blues music trawl, I came across the digital remaster of what reportedly is the only performance together of two greats - Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.
The remaster brings the sound quality right up to date, without suffering the over production present in the last of the Armstrong albums. Sublime music. Armstrong has never been in better voice and Ellington is solid in support as is the rest of the band. Does anyone know who else is on the horns?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)