Answered

Radio station does not work anymore

• 23 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I check in different forums, and the sonos community is speaking about this problem referring to a legal problem with TuneIn in the UK.

I checked and tried to make it work for this radio https://ascoltareradio.com/rtl-102-5/

Which works perfectly in TuneIn on any other platform (Android, iPhone, Windows, MacOS) without any problem except in SONOS.

1 more detail, I am not based in the UK, why should I be impacted by this?

I tried different radio streaming such as Radio.net. my tuner radio and same problem.

Can you please provide a fix or a work around and also to communicate officially about this problem.

Thanking you in advance

icon

Best answer by controlav 24 July 2021, 18:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If you know the web URL for the RTL radio station you can perhaps add it manually to your Sonos system using the methods described in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260

Hello,

In answer to that specific question, it’s possible that that station doesn’t choose to spend to own the broadcast rights for the entire world, and may have locked it down to their local area. Or, equally possible, they’ve misconfigured the streaming server that feeds the Sonos stream, which can be, and often is, a different server than what feeds the native stream on Web, etc.

Your best bet is to contact that station particularly, and ask their engineers to look in to it. They’re the ones who are providing that stream to TuneIn and Radio.net, who in turn pass on the data to Sonos.

At no point in the process does that stream exist on any Sonos server. Your controller tells the software one the speaker “go to this service, and get this stream” and the Sonos tries to do that. If that service isn’t feeding Sonos properly, there’s not much Sonos can directly do about it. When you complain to Sonos, they would just pass the request on to TuneIn or whomever, which would then pass it on to the radio station. At each “pass on” part of the process, there’s liable to be a reduction in the urgency, just as part of human nature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The actual stream URL for this station is https://streamingv2.shoutcast.com/rtl-1025

Try adding that directly to the Sonos app.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The actual stream URL for this station is https://streamingv2.shoutcast.com/rtl-1025

Try adding that directly to the Sonos app.

Hello Controlav,

Thank you for this URL, I added into the sonos but it doesn’t work.

I’m using SONOS S1 11.2.9

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

In answer to that specific question, it’s possible that that station doesn’t choose to spend to own the broadcast rights for the entire world, and may have locked it down to their local area. Or, equally possible, they’ve misconfigured the streaming server that feeds the Sonos stream, which can be, and often is, a different server than what feeds the native stream on Web, etc.

Your best bet is to contact that station particularly, and ask their engineers to look in to it. They’re the ones who are providing that stream to TuneIn and Radio.net, who in turn pass on the data to Sonos.

At no point in the process does that stream exist on any Sonos server. Your controller tells the software one the speaker “go to this service, and get this stream” and the Sonos tries to do that. If that service isn’t feeding Sonos properly, there’s not much Sonos can directly do about it. When you complain to Sonos, they would just pass the request on to TuneIn or whomever, which would then pass it on to the radio station. At each “pass on” part of the process, there’s liable to be a reduction in the urgency, just as part of human nature. 

Hi Argetlam,

Many thanks for this detailed answer.

I understand the point, but is it possible that this can in TuneIn in IOS, Android, MACOS and Windows in the same country where I am trying right now and not in SONOS?

I’m afraid that the radio engineers will tell me it works in TuneIn, check with Sonos.