Privacy statement concern

• 19 August 2017
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Am I the only one that finds the new privacy statement disturbing? I cannot recall ever being told when I bought my seven products over a period of time that Sonos had the right to threaten disabling my property if I didn't pass over personal information. Does anyone in the UK know if, by law, they can blackmail consumers in this way, post-purchase?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Where does it say that?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Quote....."You must register your Sonos Products, in order for them to work."
that seems pretty clear?
I think this probably involves giving an email address. Which you could set up for this specific purpose. If that troubles you, be prepared for a difficult time in every aspect of your life in the modern world.
I don't think this is even a change from the current situation but I am not sufficiently bothered to check.
Userlevel 1
Badge
...and a location. Just because you are happy to pass over information doesn't mean everyone is or that they are happy with being coerced into doing so. You are entitled to your view as am I. I am fully aware of the need to provide data in the modern world. Normally the option is there to either opt out, use a burner address or select an alternate service provider. I think you are missing the point - which is that in this instance information (no matter how innocuous) is being asked for retrospectively and with an explicit threat of interference with the function of my property. Could an update brick the product - sure but then they go out of business if they don't fix it. Could they ask for more detailed information in the future - nothing to stop them. This is about point of principle in a connected world. If Spotify stop streaming, I stop paying, fine. If Sonos decide to link functionality to compliance where does it stop? There are many that mindlessly travel through the connected world (until something like a casual post or someones Instagram shot bites you in the a@@), I prefer to still think about what goes on.
I doubt very much that there is any intention or threat to disable your speakers. You have assumed that and used language like 'blackmail' on the basis of your almost certainly misguided interpretation. We had better all wait for an official response to your post, I think.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Indeed, an official response and clarification would be most welcome. I hope my interpretation is wrong to be honest because I love the products and the value delivered (even though I do keep eyeing up ($$$) the Naim Uniti range!)

I tend to get grumpy when a corporate looks like it is loosing sight of the fact that it's the customers that pay their wages. I also get grumpy when collection of personal data is dressed up as "only being done to improve our services to you", which always comes over as complete b/s and they never provide a total opt out option.
Is your system not already registered so as to allow streaming services?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's only saying you require registration in order for the VOICE CONTROL to work. Your functionality as it is now will continue to work as it is if you choose not to register.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I beg to differ - the "You must register your Sonos Products, in order for them to work." statement isn't explicitly linked to voice control as far as I can tell. It actually appears in a section that suggests it is part of initial post-purchase actions.

In fact in FAQ...quote "Can I use Sonos without registering? No. For your Sonos Product to work, it must be registered." Pretty clear I'd say.

I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products?
I doubt you're going to get an official response on this thread, other then a link back to the privacy statement itself. It looks to me like they explain in great details what 'register' means.

As far as there being a legal issue with a company changing the privacy policy on an existing product, I doubt there would be a real case. Legally, I would think that you've paid for the hardware. You can do with it what you wish. Sonos provides a separately available service.that the hardware works with. There is no obligation to provide the service with a set privacy policy for any period of time. Of course, they would go out of business if they stopped providing services or came up with an utterly ridiculous policy.

I went and looked at the information I had already provided to Sonos, and I can't see that they're asking for anything that I had not already provided to them. There are option available them to collect usage data. Under registration, my setup only shows the software, but none of the products...although Sonos clearly has that information available.

OP, I'd be surprised if you were not already registered, whether you remembered doing it or not.. In fact, I would be surprised if the account you're using to post here isn't the registration itself.

As an aside, for months now, we've heard that Sonos isn't think about customers in the supposed delay in voice control. Now, with an updated privacy policy due to voice control, we hear a complaint about Sonos not thinking about customers.
All Sonos systems are already registered to your accounton initial setup. It's how they get diagnostics, geolocate service availability, and how you post to this forum. If the Sonos goons weren't pounding on your door in the past, I doubt they will in the future.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Melvimbe - Interesting point about ownership. Spot on I own the hardware but do you where does the law stand regarding the embedded software at the time of purchase or any upgrades? Surely there should be a reasonable assumption on the part of the consumer that the basic functionality provided "out of the box" would remain available (on the the same basis as at the time of original purchase) regardless? I recognise that additional and third party services would be a separate issue. And yes, I do know that I have given up some info already and will end up having to provide whatever they ask for but, as I said in an earlier post, it is a matter of principle.
@jimdery, I don't think you'll have to worry about, but if you are concerned get in touch with the Sonos Support on Twitter.
I believe that @jgatie is correct, and that in fact you will not have to provide any further information and there isn't the remotest possibility of anybody's speakers being disabled. IMO this is a complete non-problem
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello, Everyone.

We understand that you, of course, have questions about this topic, so we’d like to shine some light on it.

Sonos collects your registration information, location data, as well as usage data; for instance, performance and activity information.

Sonos uses the data we collect for the following purposes:
  • Product Improvement
  • Future Product Development
  • Customer Support
  • Security, Safety, and Dispute Resolution
  • Product Performance Analysis

Also, we have a blog post about Sonos Privacy Statement.

If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Didn't ANSWER THE EARLIER QUESTION...I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products? To which I add why do you need location data?
If you require an answer from Sonos perhaps you should contact Sonos directly rather than post on the community forum. It appears nobody shares your concern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Location data is required because music services are available by country/territory
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, of course, got that....so location will only be needed down to Country not zip/postcode?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Didn't ANSWER THE EARLIER QUESTION...I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products? To which I add why do you need location data?

No, Sonos will not disable your products. In short, the new privacy statement is the same as the old statement. What changed is the additional data usage option that is optional.
So are the Voice and Trueplay options.

Yes, of course, got that....so location will only be needed down to Country not zip/postcode?

Like Stuart mentioned, the country is required to show the available music services. The zip/postcode is for TuneIn Radio allowing it to show the local Internet Radio stations near you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you....
Indeed, thank you Max, for your patience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I thought people with Play5s would be more worried about sonos recording everything you say for 20 seconds whilst it waits for a "wake up" word, wonder if Mi5 has a special wake up word ;O))
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
No, Sonos will not disable your products.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/
No, Sonos will not disable your products.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

WTF Wow just wow. Will be watching this closely.

The article seemingly contradicts the comments from sonos defenders and employees.

No granular opt out options + no updates without accepting giving away our privacy to Sonos is insidious.