Portable speaker

• 8 August 2017
  • 13 replies

Is there a portable speaker on the market that works with Sonos. For example, I would like to be able to use my Bose SoundLink Mini on my deck and have it connected to my Sonos system on an as needed basis, verses plugging my Sonos Play:1 into an outlet each time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

A Connect is wired to the input jack on the Bose. The lag occurs when I am playing music thru the Sonos with the Connect set up as a different room. As I said it works fine with a normal HiFi.
I assume this is the set up you have: A Connect, wired to the input jack on the Bose. And other Sonos components as well. Are you seeing a lag when music is selected to play via the Connect+Bose, that is part of a group of other Sonos components, with respect to the music playing through those components?

I can't see why this should be the case, so while you confirm what I have described, someone else with an answer will hopefully post on this thread. There is something happening in the Bose to cause this delay, but this is a rare thing for a typical bluetooth speaker like the Revolve.
When I use the Bose Soundlink Resolve with my Sonos system thru Connect, they are not in sync. The Bose speaker lags the songs system so I get an echo sound. It works fine thru a normal amplified system e.g. Logitech Sound System.
Lag with respect to what?
I live in an apartment and want to hear music on my balcony which doesn't have power points. So a portable Sonos speaker would be great. I just bought the new Bose Soundlink Resolve, which is blue tooth. When I use it with Connect (direct connect) I get a sever lag. I have run a normal stereo system thru Connect and it works fine. Why doesn't the Bose Soundlink Resolve sytem work? Is there a setting I need to fix?
It's really not that amazing at all, if you think about it. Sonos is a system that works over wifi, and you don't need it on/near your body to use it. Therefore, there is little need/use for portability. I get that people want to use it outside, but wifi is typically spotty there, so it wouldn't sound too great anyway. In that environment, a wired or Bluetooth solution is a better option. I'm sure Sonos would come out with some sort of base station/Bluetooth/outdoor option...but would it sell enough to justify? Would the required price point push people to just use a standard Bluetooth option anyway. Would customers be turned off from sonos if the sound quality wasn't good, due to no fault from Sonos?
Amazing that Sonos hasn't invented yet. Totally missing the market and leaving themselves vulnverable to competitors.
Lol. Internet "experts" are so amusing.

Need a Sonos with bluetooth and wifi that i can easily bring outside and connect with the rest of the system/house. A plug-in or Play 1 misses the point and convenience.

Did you read the thread posts above yours? The solution to your "need" is simple and provided herein.
Amazing that Sonos hasn't invented yet. Totally missing the market and leaving themselves vulnverable to competitors. Need a Sonos with bluetooth and wifi that i can easily bring outside and connect with the rest of the system/house. A plug-in or Play 1 misses the point and convenience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A Connect has several stereo audio outputs, the Connect:Amp doesn't offer that so hooking a Bluetooth device to one probably isn't possible.

Connect http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html
Does the Bluetooth transmitter connect to the Sonos Subwoofer output? This is the only open connection because 2 speakers are currently connected to the Connect Amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a Bluetooth transmitter (TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter) on my shopping list, I'll hang it off a Connect that doesn't get used a lot so I can use my cheap Bluetooth speaker outside.
Portable speakers and Sonos live in two different universes. In the home, the simplest way to have music on the deck is via permanently installed external speakers, wired to a Connect Amp placed inside the home. It is one time investment of time and money that beats taking the 1 unit there frequently if the deck is used often.

The Bose will still remain useful if you can also get hold of any older model handheld device that has bluetooth, for use away from home. Or, if you can put up with the inevitable interruptions, it can be used with your in use smartphone.
Well, if the portable speaker had a base station that you could connect to a Connect, you'd be set. Most people that I've read hear in the boards who do something like that have their Connect attached to a Bluetooth sending device, so that they can use a Bluetooth speaker.

Is there a Sonos product that is portable? No.