Question

Portable Alexa Speaker - UE Blast

• 19 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just read this article about the new UE speaker, I've listened to a couple of the UE speakers in shops and thought they sounded pretty good, and having a portable Alexa enabled portable speaker that sounds good is obviously fantastic, but as the article points out, it's pretty expensive for what is still a portable speaker.

It certainly shows how Amazon are dominating the Voice control speaker market, by partnering with established Audio product companies and allowing them to add their Alexa functionality.

They'll soon be Alexa enabled speakers to suit all requirements and budgets.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/19/16499038/ultimate-ears-blast-megablast-alexa-bluetooth-speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This is just the first in what will be a flood, I am sure. And unlike Sonos, prices will be very flexible; I expect this one to be for USD 125 in a year. The one clear winner will be Amazon.
One problem with all of the third party stuff is that it does not support some key Alexa features like the speakerphone functions. I hope this will change because it is keeping me from buying anything but actual Amazon hardware for now.

I also wonder if Amazon considers the Sonos One to be a sufficient challenge to the Google Home Max or if there is going to be a competing "High Fidelity" Echo released next year to match Google tit for tat?