Over 200,000 tracks can now be indexed on Bluesound

• 4 October 2016
  • 20 replies

Badge +20
Just seen a post on the Bluesound forum, their latest BluOS software will now index over 200,000 tracks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

That's nothing. 30 million tracks on Sonos by simply subscribing to one of the many great services, most of Wichita BlueSound doesn't support...
Which. Damn you, autocorrect!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Plex on sonos now overcomes the 65K previous track limit.
Badge +20
Coukd be handy for people with that many tracks they own and have to have available all at the same time.

I hardly buy CD's anymore literally six or so a year and rely on streaming services. Bluesound does have Spotify connect, Tidal, Groove Music, Qobuz, Deezer, Napster, Slacker and a few more services.
Badge +20

I run Plex for streaming movies so it was quick to test on Sonos but found the experiance poor, luckily its not something I need.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
64,000 tracks = app 4500 CDs

That's not enough?

That's not enough?

It's only 64k tracks if you have very simplistic tags - e.g. contemporary music. Anything more complex and you run out of store way before 64k tracks.

More than plenty for me, but I suppose those that must have more have an option that is probably more expensive and is missing some features that Sonos has. Sonos has stated that these folk aren't their target market anymore so its either these alternatives or workarounds.

That's not enough?

I comfortably play through all of my 40,000 tracks each year and a half, so I still think that it is vaguely sensible to buy more, sort of .. if old habits die hard.
If there were 4 or 5 music collectors in the household, it may hit 200,000 useful tracks maybe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That's not enough?

I comfortably play through all of my 40,000 tracks each year and a half, so I still think that it is vaguely sensible to buy more, sort of .. if old habits die hard.
If there were 4 or 5 music collectors in the household, it may hit 200,000 useful tracks maybe.

I doubt very much you play 40,000 tracks ALL the way through each and every 18 months. At 3,5 minutes per track and 8 hours per day listening that would be 291 days solid listening. And that's not allowing time for working, toilet, shower, intimacy, washing the cats.

I doubt very much you play 40,000 tracks ALL the way through each and every 18 months. At 3,5 minutes per track and 8 hours per day listening that would be 291 days solid listening.

Stuart, I have no control over what you believe, but you are wrong.

Firstly much of my music is classical and jazz, or live recordings, so my average track length is 5:38, making the hurdle higher than you imagine.

And that's not allowing time for working, toilet, shower, intimacy, washing the cats.

No cats, nor work (retired), nor any commuting, so that's a saving.
I do have plenty of showers and intimacy. ... besides Stuart, music mixes well with intimacy. You might loosen up a bit if you tried it sometime 🙂

I know exactly what I have played; most of my track plays are here http://www.last.fm/user/Barry4679/library
I know exactly what remains unplayed over any given time horizon.
I have an application which spits out playlists of albums which have fallen out of circulation. This is so that I may browse amongst an auto-refreshed, smaller subset of my collection; more intimate, less overwhelming. : www.albumplays.com

Whenever I stay away from home I take my whole music collection on a small 2tb WiFi hard drive, plus I have taken up Google's free offer to upload my whole collection to their streaming servers. So my music collection is never out of reach.

The main point of my post was that while 65,000+ tracks may seem a glut for any one individual, it is not unreasonable for a household of keen music fans with their own libraries.

Barry (aka RyanPleaseXxxx .. I am having a problem with my Sonos account, and Sonos is helping me with this)
I doubt very much you play 40,000 tracks ALL the way through each and every 18 months.

If you own a lot of tracks then you want them all instantly available - why wouldn't you? If you have to split your music up into different libraries, then to play a track from another library you'd have to drop the existing library and load another - which can take 15 minutes or so, during which time you're sitting in silence.

Obviously, these are not issues that affect people who only have small amounts of music, or people who stream, but it does affect some people - and the current workarounds either require additional kit or have other disadvantages.

Personally, I like the fact that most Sonos players stay compatible, but we can't ignore that there is a down-side to this for some people. Sonos can, of course, and have, as they've decided that the future is streaming.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
If anyone is interested, you can determine the play time of your entire music library by using the very useful Playtime utility for Windows

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/software/playtime.php
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I run Plex for streaming movies so it was quick to test on Sonos but found the experiance poor, luckily its not something I need.

Plex just isn't reliable and is not yet out of beta testing. Plex don't appear to be responding to questions or participating in their own forum, the methods to trouble shoot the problems are complex and seem to preclude a number of routers.

I set Plex up in 5 minutes but have, as yet, been unable to play anything all the way through.

Keith
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That's nothing. 30 million tracks on Sonos by simply subscribing to one of the many great services, most of Wichita BlueSound doesn't support...

I have over a 1,000 Audiobooks (saved as mp3s)- if I included these as part of my Sonos Library I would have over 71,000 tracks- whilst missing a few songs might be acceptable, missing the end of a story would be slightly irritating.

In addition, the vast majority of those audiobooks are not available on any streaming service- I have subscribed to Spotify, which I think is very, very good- but I don't think there is a one-size fits all solution.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
MrKeith - get an Amazon Echo Dot, wire it to the line-in on your Connect or ConnectAMP. Then you can stream all of those tracks from any music player you want. 64K track limit gone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
SBSurfer, are you saying that the Amazon Echo Dot will stream files stored on my computer?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Keith Indeed I am, as long as your computer has Bluetooth. You're fortunate to have Sonos units with Line In on the back.

You then "pair" the computer to the Echo and the Echo becomes another available speaker to play to.

I don't know what the distance limit is between computer and Echo; mine are 15 feet away from each other.

If your computer doesn't have Bluetooth built in, you can get a Bluetooth 4.0 (or greater) USB adapter for ~ $10

This works fine for streaming music; the latency for streaming videos is too great to maintain A/V sync - In other words, if you try to stream a video with people talking to each other, their mouths will move before hearing anything. It's a very short delay, but enough to make the configuration above impractical. You can strream videos where A/V sync doesn't matter, though 😳
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
! Extra Post
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
SBSurfer,

That's cool, but not a solution I will use- mainly because your suggestion has given me another solution, which I have just tested.

I have a three way switch, which connects to my Connect- this has been running a record deck and CD player. Now I can wire an iPod into the third switch.

The thing is I not only have all my audio books on my computer, I also have them backed up to the many iPods I have.

Just tested it and works like a dream!

You can take the credit though- you set me on the track I already had the hardware for.

Cheers,

Keith