Question

Outdated Speakers

• 21 December 2017
  • 9 replies

I have two Play:1 speakers connected to my iPad. My iPad asked me to update my system so I have, however now only 1 speaker works? When I plug in the speaker that doesn't work on it's own I get a message that says "The software on this device is outdated. To keep the music playing, update the operating system or use a different device from Sonos". But gives me no option to update? I think one speaker updated but the other didn't. Both speakers are identical, bought at the same time. Is someone able to help? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Strange message.

Plug the working Play:1 into your router via Ethernet. Make sure system is working properly. Try adding the 2nd speaker in the controller. Do you still get the message?
I've plugged in the working one via ethernet and thats working fine. How can I add the 2nd speaker in the controller? I've looked in the help menu and it says to go to settings and then add player, but I don't have that option? My settings menu has, App Settings, Date & Time Settings, About My Sonos System, Reset Controller and Submit Diagnostics. Tried them all! The Play:1 that isn't working has a solid white light on it when plugged in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In your controller - newest version you go to the (... more) on the far bottom right... click settings... click Add a player or Sub
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't have add room then you are running an old version of App. Under About My Sonos System.... what version does your controller say it is on at the top and then what version does your speaker say it is running in section below.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
and also if you click on the browse button at bottom controller - - does the top say "Update Now"
Just realised my iPad is running on old software. In the process of updating everything (I have deleted the Sonos app and will re-install) will keep you updated to see if that works!! Thank you for your help so far 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just realised my iPad is running on old software. In the process of updating everything (I have deleted the Sonos app and will re-install) will keep you updated to see if that works!! Thank you for your help so far :)

That's what the message indicates actually. It's the operating system on the iPad that needed to be updated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Makes sense - your old firmware on ipad couldn't install the newest sonos that would match to your firmware on speakers.
You're right Ryan S, I thought it was referring to the app not my iPad itself!

Everything has been updated and my Sonos controller immediately recognised the unused device and linked the pair once again. All working fine now! Thank you both for your help 🙂 🙂 Merry Christmas!