non support of older sonos speakers

was reading about your new IPO and in the article it said you would no longer be supporting some of your older speakers in the near future, what speakers do they anticipate no longer supporting?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

My phone is a computer and works fine - and will continue to work fine using the same software until something dies. If I try and run more memory/processor intensive software on it, then understandably it might have problems - but the phone manufacturer doesn't force me to run them. Whilst some would say that Sonos doesn't force you either, the fact that you can't add a new device to an old software build is the killer - eventually you'll be in trouble.

Your phone OS may work fine, but I would bet that many of the apps on them no longer would, Eventually, you wouldn't be able to add any new apps without upgrading your OS. The apps stores don't allow you to pick the version of app that's compatible with your OS version. This really isn't any different than the Sonos situation. What your saying Sonos should do is ship their new products on lower versions and then allow users to upgrade to what version they currently are. Clearly Sonos would have to maintain these versions to install them, and provide support for new products on multiple versions.

It may seem on the surface that allowing new products on old versions is not a big deal, but it actually is pretty much providing full support for older versions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Surely when sonos decide to upgrade all current kit on sale today,that is not powerful enough for Airplay2, that would be the time to create sonos classic. They support Beta role outs, so classic could be controlled by sonos as well.
Then yes why not sell all with classic installed, then if you are adding to classic version at home it stays the same or updates to latest.
Classic can still have all necessary updates to keep current, just no airplay2 onwards stuff.
Sales remain the same, or may increase as nobody freezes anymore or give up altogether with sonos. Yes it will need two lots of support. But again they support Beta anyway...
And how long before someone wants Classic 2 for some other development? I am not convinced Airplay 2 is such a unique tipping point anyway. To make a non-Airplay 2 compatible speaker work with Airplay 2 you buy a compatible speaker. To make a non-Alexa enabled speaker work with Alexa you buy an Echo device.

Slippery slope. I believe Sonos should and will resist calls for legacy versions.
So Sonos should double their development staff/effort to support two versions of apps and firmware, one of which is for a dwindling market of users who wish to keep older, out of date hardware, not to mention by the very definition of "Sonos Classic" they will never buy any new Sonos products?

Pass.
Yes it will need two lots of support. But again they support Beta anyway...
No they don't, at least not to anything like the same degree. The clue is in the name: Beta

No they don't, at least not to anything like the same degree. The clue is in the name: Beta

In addition, Beta is an extension of a single version of apps and firmware. "Sonos Classic" splits the apps/firmware into two distinct versions, each of which must be worked on concurrently, thus doubling the workload.

Once again . . . pass.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well yes Airplay2 is not the tipping point. The tipping point could be the next sonos kit that no longer works, if it's a biggy.
Hopefully it will never happen, but this thread is about what if it does...
It already has happened; the CR100. And there was no creation of "Sonos Classic" for the very reasons stated above.
Well when the unknown development bricks the unknown device and we see Sonos' unknown mitigating action, then we will have something to talk about....
Well when the unknown development bricks the unknown device and we see Sonos' unknown mitigating action, then we will have something to talk about....

I'll bet you a brand new Play:5 that the "mitigating action" will not be anything like "Sonos Classic". Deal?
Of course I agree they won't do that. I was thinking more like a generous trade in of ZP80 for a Connect, maybe. But who knows? My point was that worrying about a non-existing problem is pointless
Of course I agree they won't do that. I was thinking more like a generous trade in of ZP80 for a Connect, maybe. But who knows?

Exactly.
TBH Sonos' software quality seems to get worse with every new release so I'd quite like to go back to the 2 years ago version for my Play5! If they stop doing support once things get stable again I'd be happy for no more updates, and I won't be buying more Sonos kit in the future
TBH Sonos' software quality seems to get worse with every new release
Evidence? Examples?

The vast majority of people's problems stem from their defective networks: IP conflicts, wireless signal/interference issues, and of late the introduction of meshed WiFi systems which typically contain a second router and transmit on multiple channels.
I'm not complaining about network issues. My beef is pointless/retrograde UI changes, general app stability (often freezes/crashes restarts and terrible support for the total borkage of programme search working at all/or even just reasonably for BBC programmes. If you search my bug reports you will see the pathetic level of support received.

TBH Sonos' software quality seems to get worse with every new release
Evidence? Examples?

The vast majority of people's problems stem from their defective networks: IP conflicts, wireless signal/interference issues, and of late the introduction of meshed WiFi systems which typically contain a second router and transmit on multiple channels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Even on the Beta versions I have never had the app freeze, and that is on iOS, Windows, Amazon Fire (aka POS) and standard Android. The UI changes will always have fans and detractors. As of BBC borkage, what do you mean?