New to Sonos

Badge
Okay, so I am a newbie. I bought this system - 2 Play 1's and a subwoofer for my main living room. My intention is/was to listen to new music and my own iTunes library in good fidelity. The immediate result is this - I can't play my iTunes library because of the error 1002 aggravation that seems to be bothering a lot of you out there and I can't get the Amazon streaming to finish playing one darn song. Yes, yes, I have read all the threads on correcting this. But I am not that sauve or knowledgeable enough to fix it myself. So here's what I'm going to do. I am having the guys come over from where I bought and I will pay them to get this working right. And if they can't, I will return this and find a system that will do what I want it to do. I'm retired and have enough money to get what I want.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

The chances of the people you bought it from being able to help are slim, I would guess. A much better (and free) way to find out what is wrong is to start by submitting a diagnostic report and posting the confirmation number back here.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics

I would bet a fair bit of money that it is a local network issue and not a fault with Sonos.
Badge
You are probably correct. But I did submit a diagnosis and have heard crickets. I'm old and this might be far above my patience to figure out.
OK your call. But did you notify Sonos in any way of the diagnostic confirmation number? And if it was over the weekend then you may have to wait a little longer even if you did. My only concern is that many companies selling Sonos are sadly lacking in knowledge about the system. Still, it isn't for me to tell you how to deal with your issues, and I wish you the best in getting them sorted.
Badge
I will take your advice. But really, in this day and age of internet connectivity, it should not be this difficult. And, apparently, many other Sonos owners are having the same issues. Thank you for your courteous replies.
This forum is like a hospital, so don't judge Sonos on the health of its occupants!! Please do try running another diagnostic and post the number on this thread. It wiil take only a moment and you have nothing to lose.
have enough money to get what I want.
But you can't get a wireless system that is more reliable when set up properly and has better support for when it is not than what Sonos has. So I echo the suggestion to stick around or go back to legacy tech wired systems.
Sonos needs a foundation of a good home WiFi network if it is to work properly; so does all wireless home audio at the present time. Posting the diagnostic number here will be a start to the end of your troubles; just make sure that the diagnostic is one from a time a problem has surfaced, within minutes of it surfacing.
Badge
I don't have a diagnostic yet. I will probably hire someone to set this up. This house is very nicely set up for wi-fi. But I am a little tech challenged.
Never too late to learn; if I could, anyone can. Go to the advanced settings under settings on the handheld controller and hit submit diagnostic with the system running with a problem. Quote the received diagnostic number here. On a desktop controller, use the help menu.

Hiring someone is almost certainly not the answer because of the difficulty you may face in getting the right physical resource at the right time. From 2011 till now, I have had the occasional annual glitch that I have been able to solve with help online. Less than what I had to do with my old HiFi systems, but I am listening to a lot more music now than before at any time.
Badge
Thank you. I will do that.
In the mean time, try this:
Turn off mains power to all equipment including the router and modem, and restart in the following order:
1. Modem
2. Router
3. All equipment that is connected to the router by a cable
4. All wireless equipment, including Sonos kit.
At each step wait till reboot is over before moving to the equipment in the next step.
Post here if you do this and if this addresses the problem, for next steps.
Badge
I have a diagnostic number! 7483584
Lol. That was quick! Sonos will respond to this here, but if you want to keep things on record as part of history for future reference, also send an email to Sonos Support with a one sentence problem description and mentioning this number. The latter bit is essential.
Badge
I did everything above very carefully. Still error 1002
Over to Sonos; let's see what they say to the diagnostic quoted.
Badge
Never mind, your suggestion worked! Thank you, Kumar!
Good; that suggests you have IP address conflicts. Reserving IP addresses on your router for all Sonos units including devices that host Sonos controllers is the permanent fix for this; in the absence of this, the router can sometimes give out the same address to more than one unit on your home WiFi network that causes things to hang and give up.

I know how to do this on my Apple Time Capsule router, but if you are not able to do this yourself on your router, this is a good candidate for paid external help if you can find it because this is a very defined task with clear objectives.
Badge
Okay, Kumar, it is not working again. So I will get a referral here in beautiful Rehoboth Beach, DE, and pay someone to figure out this issue. Thank you again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Okay, Kumar, it is not working again. So I will get a referral here in beautiful Rehoboth Beach, DE, and pay someone to figure out this issue. Thank you again!

Save yourself some cash. Give Sonos a call and get them to remote not your system.
There is a quoted diagnostic that Sonos ought to be responding to if they are on the job as they claim to always be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is a quoted diagnostic that Sonos ought to be responding to if they are on the job as they claim to always be.

Yes but the OP appears unwilling to engage, at least in any meaningful way. It would be much better in the long run to engage with Sonos now rather than get some stranger to meddle and learn nothing.
Badge
I will call Sonos first. I think it is something easy to figure out, because for a little while, everything was working great.