New stuff?

• 25 August 2014
  • 50 replies

Show first post

50 replies

i personally think the playbase may be the server/usb based storage box we here have referred to as an "indexer", which will address the 65k barrier. But that is pure speculation.

Oh my! To that I say 🙂 😃 🙂 😃 🙂 😃 🙂 😃 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This was honestly my first thought as well. If they make a "server" that would eliminate hardware limitations of the older units (including memory needed to index more than 65k tracks). If they do this I doubt they would advertise it for that alone, it would probably bring other benefits like having an internal HDD for music or USB ports for external drives, etc...

...and an airplay chip, a bluetooth chip, a DTS decoding chip, a Spotify Connect chip, a headphone socket and a couple of digital line ins 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Don't be greedy!!:p:D

Although Airplay and Spotify Connect would kind of make sense. DTS might be technically not possible.
Userlevel 1
Badge
...and an airplay chip, a bluetooth chip, a DTS decoding chip, a Spotify Connect chip, a headphone socket and a couple of digital line ins :-)

Sounds good to me! Haha.

In all seriousness, it is the first thing that came to mind but I doubt that is actually what it is but maybe we will be surprised.
Since we're guessing... I'm going with some kind of base station with HDMI inputs that can decode DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc and then transcode them to feed to the PLAYBAR over optical.
Badge +1
No doubt whatever it is on past releases it will be good and I will want one or two or three or .....
Badge
Since we're guessing... I'm going with some kind of base station with HDMI inputs that can decode DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc and then transcode them to feed to the PLAYBAR over optical.

That is my guess. Like a new connect, but to solve some of the Playbar connection problems.
That is my guess. Like a new connect, but to solve some of the Playbar connection problems.

That would be great and would probably tempt me into getting a Playbar.
So far all the Play devices have included speakers, so can only assume the Playbase will.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
If we are guessing, then my money is on the Playbase being a soundbase - ie a deeper playbar the TV stands on top of. These seem to be flavour of the month at the moment amongst consumer AV equipment manufacturers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswain View Post

If we assume that because the new item has "Play" in its name it has speakers, then would it not be more likely that it would be intended to be used instead of the Playbar rather than feeding a Playbar?
Userlevel 1
If we assume that because the new item has "Play" in its name it has speakers, then would it not be more likely that it would be intended to be used instead of the Playbar rather than feeding a Playbar?

Yes, I can't imagine them making something that needs to be used with something else, can you imagine the complaints when people take their new widget home with them, plug it into the TV and then wonder why there's no sound coming out?

Mind you that's probably nothing compared to the "I've just bought a Playbar and now I have to buy a Playbase instead to get DTS, I've wasted my money!" complaints if it turns out to be a Playbar replacement...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The trademark application for Playbase was made on 8 Nov 2013 so perhaps they are just protecting the name for a potential future product rather than something actually being imminent.

The 'Boost' on the other hand is clearly on its way if the screenshot is to be believed.
My guess is that the Boost will be a receiver for Bluetooth / Airplay / Chromecast (pick one) to allow the use of streaming to Sonos directly from 3rd party apps.

Chromecast would be my first guess, given that it has quickly gained ubiquity, doesn't suffer the many limitations of BT, and Sonos' apparent great relationship with Google. Airplay would be my last guess; can't imagine Apple playing ball. 😛
Userlevel 1
Badge
Wouldn't it be just clever of Sonos Company to release that playbase as some sort of extension to the playbar to avoid ALL the complaints made over the last year? It would basically just erase all the negative reviews (no tv with DD passthru blabla). Every newly purchased Playbar comes with that base. And still simplicity would be garantueed because its still 1 cable to the Playbar.
Userlevel 1
Boost revealed as more powerful Bridge:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-software-update-removes-need-wired-connection
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Now also on the Sonos Blog: http://blog.sonos.com/news/introducing-an-even-simpler-sonos/
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
So another three pieces of redundant kit for me to go along with my iPad 1.

Ever so pleased 😛
Userlevel 1

Ever so pleased :p

Are you going to post this on every thread? You said it already and you're still wrong, if you're using a bridge now, carry on using it, that's the official message.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
3xBridge (two not deployed)

Well, obviously 2 were already "redundant" before, could have been all three, if you have at least one other device wired.

Apart from that, the message is: you can use it with WiFi OR use a bridge based setup. That was the case before and is now. That the WiFi-only setup would come is really no big news, 5.1 beta had that for weeks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Boost revealed as more powerful Bridge:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-software-update-removes-need-wired-connection

Makes you wonder what else it can do to justify the £40 price difference - maybe a bigger index to address the 65k limit ???

Ever so pleased :p

A severe 1st World Problem.

Also: Multiple postings of the same whine is just tiresome.

Two of my iPhone3G controllers will not work with this update, so they'll be fully retired. I saw this coming and am fine with it. They were dog-slow, comparatively, and were controllers of 'last resort'. That's 'progress'... whether you like it or not.

I have three Bridges as well, I haven't needed to use one as the initial Sonos/Router wired connection for several years now. One is still new-in-box.

I don't think I ever paid for a Bridge directly. They came 'free' as part of another Sonos purchase.

Two of our three Bridges are currently used to provide a wired initial connection for other devices that don't have a wireless feature or just work better/faster when connected via an Ethernet cable.

You've been around Sonos & these Forums long enough that you know what your (multiple) options are for your 'redundant' Bridge units....

Sorry for your loss.
Userlevel 1
Makes you wonder what else it can do to justify the £40 price difference - maybe a bigger index to address the 65k limit ???

Nope.
Userlevel 1
I have three Bridges as well, I haven't needed to use one as the initial Sonos/Router wired connection for several years now. One is still new-in-box.

I've got two bridges, neither of them are wired to the network and both are fully used and will remain so as this new functionality is of no use to me at all.
I've got two bridges, neither of them are wired to the network and both are fully used and will remain so as this new functionality is of no use to me at all.

Absolutely (from my perspective)!

As we stream local, predominantly Lossless music throughout our 8-zone Sonos system, I see no advantage to moving the data transport onto the standard wireless network where our other (non-Sonos) appliances play.

Sonos music will remain on its dedicated network provided by the original Sonos model.

To each their own... & YMMV.

Best of Luck