New stuff?

• 25 August 2014
  • 50 replies

Badge
http://www.slashgear.com/sonos-playbase-and-boost-tipped-incoming-24342525/

50 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Boost: seems to be a repeater. Meh. Not earth shattering.

Playbase: who knows...
Interesting about LG's Music Flow also.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Agree about the 'Boost' - a range extender for conventional wifi as opposed to Sonosnet. As for the 'Playbase', Im really hoping for a docking station for a Play 1 incorporating a rechargeable battery allowing it to be used beyond the reach of a power supply.

Would also be useful if they incorporated some kind of direct wifi, bluetooth and/or line-in support as well otherwise it will only reach as far as your wifi connection which wouldnt really 'set it free' very far !!
Userlevel 1
Agree about the 'Boost' - a range extender for conventional wifi as opposed to Sonosnet. As for the 'Playbase', Im really hoping for a docking station for a Play 1 incorporating a rechargeable battery allowing it to be used beyond the reach of a power supply.

I don't get it, with or without a docking station how are they going to incorporate a battery into a Play:1? Or are you suggesting the docking station should be semi-permanently attached? Sounds a bit clumsy.

Would also be useful if they incorporated some kind of direct wifi, bluetooth and/or line-in support as well otherwise it will only reach as far as your wifi connection which wouldnt really 'set it free' very far !!

I don't understand that either, you can already do direct-wifi from an android device with a direct-to-Sonosnet connection straight to any Zoneplayer.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As for the 'Playbase', Im really hoping for a docking station for a Play 1 incorporating a rechargeable battery allowing it to be used beyond the reach of a power supply.

There are BT speakers which are WAY more comfortable to use and lighter. Sonos does not need to compete with that. There are enough players on that field already (good and bad ones).
Funny game, this!
Playbase - Indexing for >64000 tracks?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Playbase - Indexing for >64000 tracks?

Shut up and take my money!! :p:D A kind of integrated, networked uPnP Server for SMB shares would be indeed amazing, maybe even with added Airplay support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't get it, with or without a docking station how are they going to incorporate a battery into a Play:1? Or are you suggesting the docking station should be semi-permanently attached? Sounds a bit clumsy.

yes, thats exactly what Im saying. Some kind of base with a footprint the size of the play 1 with a strong rechargable battery to power it. It would remain attached for as long as it was needed to provide power. Shouldnt need to be any more than an inch high. There would have to be some kind of sensor to indicate the switch from high to low voltage.

The connection in the base and its 'moisture resistant' nature suggests this might have been in the roadmap from the beginning.

I don't understand that either, you can already do direct-wifi from an android device with a direct-to-Sonosnet connection straight to any Zoneplayer.

...not everyone uses android !
Userlevel 1
Shut up and take my money!! :p:D A kind of integrated, networked uPnP Server for SMB shares would be indeed amazing, maybe even with added Airplay support?

Yes, although Sonos have said for some years they would never do a "Server" device. I've never really understood why though, presumably they just don't see too many sales coming from it (because I doubt it would be cheap).
Userlevel 1
...not everyone uses android !

Yes, but that's your own fault...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
...and whats this about...??
http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=SBVRM009&id=639719

submitted 10 days ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes, but that's your own fault...

jeez - chill out man - just having some light hearted speculation about new products.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hmm, interesting.

http://fccid.net/document.php?id=2357207 states, that the information about the product itself should be confidential until Dec. 31, 2014. That means that whatever this device is, it should arrive earlier than that date - possibly in time for holiday (or earlier)?

802.11a/b/g/n 2X2: well, a possibly dual band device (2,4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) and 2x two streams / antennas (modern n and ac routers can have 3 streams / antennas per band, so 2x3).

HT20 means that it is going to use 20Hz WiFi channels (standard on 2,4Ghz; 5Ghz can have 20, 40 (=HT40), 80 and even 160Hz channel width) and DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) is a necessary function of 5Ghz (a,n,ac) devices.

So I would say this seems to be that dual band (?) "Boost" device with up to "n" speed (on both bands?). Possibly it is also a modernized replacement for the Sonos Bridge.
Hmm, interesting.

http://fccid.net/document.php?id=2357207 states, that the information about the product itself should be confidential until Dec. 31, 2014. That means that whatever this device is, it should arrive earlier than that date - possibly in time for holiday (or earlier)?

802.11a/b/g/n 2X2: well, a possibly dual band device (2,4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) and 2x two streams / antennas (modern n and ac routers can have 3 streams / antennas per band, so 2x3).

HT20 means that it is going to use 20Hz WiFi channels (standard on 2,4Ghz; 5Ghz can have 20, 40 (=HT40), 80 and even 160Hz channel width) and DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) is a necessary function of 5Ghz (a,n,ac) devices.

So I would say this seems to be that dual band (?) "Boost" device with up to "n" speed (on both bands?). Possibly it is also a modernized replacement for the Sonos Bridge.

Guess its not a long awaited plug n play chip to increase the storage to past the 65K limit, huh? 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I would assume that device being dual band.

What I don't understand however: 5Ghz is only used for Surround as far as I know. And all surround speakers (and the Sub) normally are in the same room. So why would anyone need a "boost" of 5Ghz?

Such a device would only make sense, in my opinion, if more and more Sonos transfers are shifted to the 5Ghz band - which would be a great thing - as 2,4Ghz is a crowded mess of a band.
Userlevel 1
jeez - chill out man - just having some light hearted speculation about new products.

We don't do humour here...
Userlevel 1
Hmm, interesting.

Err, surely that would mean it would arrive AFTER that date, which would tie up with a comment earlier this year from a Sonos exec that there would be no new hardware this year?

That would make sense, the Playbar, Play:1, Play:3 and SUB all have 5GHz, so it would remove a lot of the channel interference problems for customers that have only those products. Won't help those of us with Play:5s, Connects or Connect:Amps of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

but the 'label format' document suggests some kind of revision to the Play 1
http://fccid.net/document.php?id=2357203

so maybe just some minor tweaking or omissions from the original request.
Userlevel 1
but the 'label format' document suggests some kind of revision to the Play 1
http://fccid.net/document.php?id=2357203

Well that, and the fact it actually says Play:1 on the label...
Userlevel 2
What's a Play1 (Type 2) as listed in the RF test report?
Hardware internals can be revised because components change, without there being any updates to functionality. It would require submission to the FCC for re-approval if the wireless card was modified.

Nothing to get excited about I'm afraid.
Badge
Boost: seems to be a repeater. Meh. Not earth shattering.

Playbase: who knows...

The playbase is a playbar that also can be used as a TV stand.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Great, that you are that confident.

The only way you would know that for sure is if you were testing it under an NDA agreement, and an NDA agreement would prevent you from talking about it. So your statement, like all others in this thread, is pure speculation. Now granted some are speculation based on knowledge, insight and experience, but it is still speculation, and should be identified as such.

I personally think the Playbase may be the server/USB based storage box we here have referred to as an "Indexer", which will address the 65K barrier. But that is pure speculation.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I personally think the Playbase may be the server/USB based storage box we here have referred to as an "Indexer", which will address the 65K barrier. But that is pure speculation.
This was honestly my first thought as well. If they make a "server" that would eliminate hardware limitations of the older units (including memory needed to index more than 65k tracks). If they do this I doubt they would advertise it for that alone, it would probably bring other benefits like having an internal HDD for music or USB ports for external drives, etc...