New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

https://www.adorama.com/soplay1blk3.html

SL 3-pack. My math says $149 each. Picture obviously Play:1...

Badge
On amazon it said $179 I believe. And it did show picture of a Sonos One without the microphone icon or the circle with the holes for the microphones
I’d be willing to bet these folks are posting these early, and by providing links here, we’re providing assistance to the Sonos legal department to force them to take them down, until the embargo date.

Which could well be tomorrow, since it’s late in the day today. I’ll be interested.
New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?
Really? I need to go check the Apple store.

Most interesting. I'd agree with your supposition 🙂
Still 10.3.3 from a week ago on the US iOS “store”
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?

Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
The pictures were of the SL and said $179.
Release date was 13th Sep I think. Around then anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Not sure we can rely on controller updates to tell us much.I think 10.3.5 released 4 September on Android is the 18th release this year.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sonos Port $399
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502022-REG/sonos_port1us1blk_port.html

Move was listed at $400 USD, listing is down now, hope it isn't accurate 😟😟😟😟

One SL $179

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501430-REG/sonos_oneslus1blk_one_sl_wireless_speaker.html/
Sonos Port $399https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502022-REG/sonos_port1us1blk_port.htmlMove was listed at $400 USD, listing is down now, hope it isn't accurate 😟😟😟😟

Nice find. I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed assuming everything on this Port listing is accurate. The price went up $50 over the current Connect. What's changed

• Exterior redesign. It matches the look of the Amp with a smaller form factor. Black. I suspect it will work in stereo cabinets much better.
  • Airplay added. This was pretty much a given, but does it justify a price increase? Adding this pretty much makes any amp/receiver in your home airplay compatible. That is rather powerful, if you're an airplay fan/user.
  • 12V trigger. This is something a lot of folks were asking for and probably makes it rather appealing to the professional installer market.
  • Optical output has been dropped. All you get is RCA and coaxial output. I imagine this isn't that big of an issue for most folks.
Really disappointed that there isn't built in voice control, but I can see where that might be a big no-no in Google/Amazon's eyes, and it might add complication with speakers. It would need to work something like the Fire TV cube, with logic for a local speaker and TV speakers depending on whether TV is currently on. Not sure how the Port would know the amp input is currently set.

Also would have really liked to see a HDMI/HDMI-ARC pass through, similar to what the Echo Link products have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Nice find.

Credit to /r/Sonos

Good assessment of the Port. Looking forward to the official release, though it is looking like my wallet is safe.
Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.

It could be inaccurate. Entirely possible that they mistakenly put the Move price on the Port. That said though, I agree that technical aspect of what you get with the Connect or Port seems overpriced. I've always thought that it was priced as such more because it opens up the Sonos system so much and a lower price would have a negative impact on sales of other products. Still, it feels like the current product feels like you could lower the price to $300 or $250 and not impact other product sales much.

And assuming the price of the Move is correct at $400...that's more than I hoped for. Getting a pair at $800 is very costly. I want one (or two) but it's no longer an easy decision for me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Nice find.
Credit to /r/Sonos

Good assessment of the Port. Looking forward to the official release, though it is looking like my wallet is safe.

Yup. Price went the wrong direction for what the Connect/Port do, losing the optical makes it a non-starter for the only room I'd use it for. Disappointing upgrade, except for maybe Airplay and the trigger.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I think the price will be right and is made much more out of touch by the functionality even the likes of Chromecast can provide..
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.It could be inaccurate. Entirely possible that they mistakenly put the Move price on the Port. That said though, I agree that technical aspect of what you get with the Connect or Port seems overpriced. I've always thought that it was priced as such more because it opens up the Sonos system so much and a lower price would have a negative impact on sales of other products. Still, it feels like the current product feels like you could lower the price to $300 or $250 and not impact other product sales much.

And assuming the price of the Move is correct at $400...that's more than I hoped for. Getting a pair at $800 is very costly. I want one (or two) but it's no longer an easy decision for me.

Google Ad link to Sonos.com is now live, and the price is accurate.

Nice find.
Credit to /r/Sonos

Yup. Price went the wrong direction for what the Connect/Port do, losing the optical makes it a non-starter for the only room I'd use it for. Disappointing upgrade, except for maybe Airplay and the trigger.

I imagine when the official announcement on the board, we'll get a statement or two of why optical was removed. Overall, I just don't see a lot of reason to upgrade from Connect to this. Yes, it looks nicer so that's a reason. Airplay alone isn't a reason since you can get an ikea bookshelf to do that for $100. The 12V trigger? Perhaps. I see this mostly being used by pro installers.

I think the price will be right and is made much more out of touch by the functionality even the likes of Chromecast can provide..

Chromecast audio? I thought that was discontinued. I'm not that knowledgeable of what Chromcast (full version) can do as far multiroom audio functionality. Is it really comparable?

Google Ad link to Sonos.com is now live, and the price is accurate.

Tech media outlets are starting to post their articles as well.
The new Sonos One SL is a Sonos One without the mics, priced at $180. What this brings that the Play:1 does not?

Improved looks
The more modern button controls you see on current Sonos products
improved hardware (I assume. Would be silly for them not to reuse the Sonos One hardware where it applies)
airplay compatible (I think)
Can be paired with a Sonos One with mic.

That last one may be the big feature for most. However, since the SL is only a $20 discount, not sure many won't just get the full One in case they ever want voice control.
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/9/5/20849821/sonos-one-sl-port-price-specs-features-announcement
Here's an article on the Move.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/05/sonos-finally-gets-portable/

New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.

You’re right. I guess we’ll have to wait until September 24th to see whether Auto Trueplay will be added to the One and Beam.
Spence interview

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/9/5/20849503/patrick-spence-sonos-move-apple-siri-bluetooth-podcast-vergecast-interview
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Move, for me....
Considerably more than I was expecting but looks a great product, although not one I can see me buying any time soon sadly - despite really looking forward to it
Quite big to move or pack in a suitcase and for that price, at home, I'll just keep using my Play 5 on a long power cable.
A cheaper, Play One sized speaker would have been more what I was looking for.