New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Nevertheless Move has leaked several days ago 😉
Suppositions and rumours are different than the actual press release data. They could certainly be accurate, but we don't know yet if they are.
Yea, if it’s strictly for press, there is likely an embargo on release until X date, so the folks who attend on day one can’t “scoop” the folks who have to wait for day 2.

We will need to exhibit patience....something I am not known for ;)

Yeah, not so much as a tweet yet, so they've embargoed the press until the big reveal at IFA on September 4th and 5th.

Almost certain to be a new Connect, and the Move, but perhaps more.
It’s the “more” that intrigues me, perhaps because of all the leaks around the hardware. We haven’t heard anything around software. Possibly because there isn’t anything to leak, of course, but maybe there is!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is hard enough to remember that NYC is 5 hours behind the UK (and more for many others) without the possibility of an embargo meaning we have to wait another week.
I share your frustration, although I'm just an hour off of New York City 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-portable-speaker-release-date-rumors-and-everything-we-know-so-far

Estimate £200, hope so!
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-portable-speaker-release-date-rumors-and-everything-we-know-so-far
Estimate £200, hope so!

I really doubt it. The article gave little justification for that estimate other than stating the Sonos One was released at $179....which is incorrect. It was released at $199, the current price. But even going on the $20 increase theory, making it $220. That would mean your getting the battery, bluetooth capability, and waterproofing for $20. That's seems too much to believe. Or you're getting these benefits while the Move is inferior to the Sonos One in some way(s), like sound quality, multroom usage flexiblity, or voice assistant quality? I don't like the sound of that. Maybe Sonos drops the prices of all 3 products in that range (play:1, Sonos One, and Move), but that seems too good to be true and would hurt the ikea speaker sales. We shall see.

Hopefully, we hear something later today, and not at the next event.
With the Bozo equivalent product priced at $349, I wouldn't remotely count on the Move being $200.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'll be amazed if it's too far from £200 (even if One is reduced to 'accommodate' - like with its own release and the new pricing of the 1)..
Max of £249 I'd expect..
It’s the “more” that intrigues me ...

With all that talk about a new Connect and/or Playbar update in this thread I may be missing something here but why are people speculating about particularly more than two new devices to be announced when there are only two new filings listed at the FCC?

There's the Move and then there's the SL. Was there an additional filing which I overlooked by any chance?

It’s the “more” that intrigues me ...With all that talk about a new Connect and/or Playbar update in this thread I may be missing something here but why are people speculating about particularly more than two new devices to be announced when there are only two new filings listed at the FCC?

There's the Move and then there's the SL. Was there an additional filing which I overlooked by any chance?

Chicks had links to 'original' discover of the FCC listings here. There were actually referring to the Move and what was thought of as the Connect replacement. The SL, to me anyway, has a lot more doubt to the rumor.

I didn't go back and read the whole thread, but I think talk about other devices is more about guessing what would be next...some day. If the play:1 and Connect are actually replaced, I think that means the playbar is the only currently sold playbar that doesn't have the hardware to support airplay.
And I, for one, would be most pleased to update my two PLAYBARs with newer hardware. Despite the fact that they still work perfectly, damn them. Maybe if Sonos releases something cool, they'll break for me, and give me an excuse to purchase new.
And I, for one, would be most pleased to update my two PLAYBARs with newer hardware. Despite the fact that they still work perfectly, damn them. Maybe if Sonos releases something cool, they'll break for me, and give me an excuse to purchase new.

Accidents happen...😈
Badge

I’m on the same boat. I can’t wait for a new playbar. I also have 2 playbars, but I would probably only replace my living room playbar with the new one, and move the old one to my bedroom. I’m bummed that they are probably not announcing a new playbar, as it is what I’ve been waiting for... I’ve thought about replacing the playbar for a playbase to gaine airplay, but most reports seem to point towards inferior sound from the playbar. I’ve only listened to the playbase once in a best buy (not the best conditions) and I was not impressed by the sound enough to replace my playbar.
My guess:

Hardware
Sonos Move
New Connect
SL

Firmware
Auto Trueplay, for the Move and One, possibly the Beam
My guess:

Hardware
Sonos Move
New Connect
SL

Firmware
Auto Trueplay, for the Move and One, possibly the Beam

I would bet the Beam will have trueplay if the One does. It also has a mic and was made after the One after all. I suppose though that auto trueplay may not be ready for an HT setup, or maybe won't work unless all speakers in the room have a mic. Don't know.

Feels like the features on the Move are pretty well leaked. The Connect, if it exists, are a mystery. Airplay is a given, as well as all the features it currently has. Two new feature's I can image are a built in mic and/or HDMI-ARC functionality in various ways. Those things could make it a more compelling product, particularly for pro installers, but also perhaps less affordable. Since Connect is currently the cheapest way to bring in an analog audio source, affordability matters.

Oh, might also be cool if the Connect could receive bluetooth signals. I seriously doubt that though, since the Move is rumored to only receive bluetooth when not in wifi mode. Doesn't really matter though since you can use a bluetooth transceiver with it for cheap.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂
I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂

If they do spill after agreeing not to, they'll never be invited to another Sonos presser!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Erm, leaks are generally anonymous and deliberate...
Not being invited again isn't quite the same with some client 'agreements'..

I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂If they do spill after agreeing not to, they'll never be invited to another Sonos presser!

Just Sonos? I would guess that other tech companies are paying attention to who in the press can't be trusted.

Erm, leaks are generally anonymous and deliberate...
Not being invited again isn't quite the same with some client 'agreements'..

I wouldn't imagine any publications at the presser would release info they know is under embargo. It doesn't matter if they got info from a separate source than the presser. They would still be shut out from future pressers, right? Maybe someone will post something on reddit, like they did about the SL, with it going no further than that.
3D model of Move next to Play:1

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sonos-move-speaker-6d2250687d7d4d5391f926a024a66bcb
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I wouldn't imagine anyone there would release it either - but information is often leaked by such publications (or even the company themselves!!) for our consumption.
The images and info we've already seen will all surely be breaking many NDA's/agreements anyway?
Credit to Sonos for allowing them - unless of course they know something we don't... :)
EDIT: wow, the 3D render shows it to be a fair bit bigger than I was expecting.
EDIT: wow, the 3D render shows it to be a fair bit bigger than I was expecting.

Which I interpret as a good sign. I wouldn't think you could match the Sonos One sound quality in a smaller package and you need room form the battery.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
3D model of Move next to Play:1

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sonos-move-speaker-6d2250687d7d4d5391f926a024a66bcb

Hopefully that smooth bit at the bottom houses a huge battery! I'd love to see it offer 15+ hours (Bose is 12)

If you zoom in on the lower bottom you can see this, looks to me to be a contact for the charging stand?