New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

But that brings up a good use case, perhaps for third party creation? A travel sack, that protects the speaker in transit? I've taken PLAY:1s in luggage before, and tried to protect them by packing them in the middle of clothing, but that's a hit or miss solution, especially if the luggage gets "searched" by the local authorities (TSA, etc). No guaranty you have the time to repack safely. I would love some sort of shock absorption packing designed for such a device.

I would think it wouldn't need much, but maybe a hard case will be an accessory. Or a soft case with extra padding...maybe a zipper pouch for a USB-C cable. Feels like this would be good for protecting your speaker as well as keeping your clothes clean, in the case of luggage. You know, if the speaker has a lot of outdoor duty in it's history.
There used to be a company that made things like this, and I'm struggling to remember their name. I agree, it wouldn't need to be much, but a slight amount of padding, and a good Nylon casing, with a nice zipper.

But I think we're getting outside of Sonos' area of expertise. And maybe I could make my own side business of this, and sell them here....and get banned from the forum :)

Edit: Just remembered the name....CaseLogic. Use to make CD cases, that I used extensively, amongst other things.

Edit: Just remembered the name....CaseLogic. Use to make CD cases, that I used extensively, amongst other things.

I still use 3 or 4 of those giant CD binders to archive all my old stuff. One for DVDs that I still open from time to time when I'm in the mood from some oldies.

You prompted me to google caselogic and it looks like they are still around, mostly doing backpacks, laptop cases, and other more modern devices, but they still sell disc cases.
At some point, I moved from Case Logic, except for their CD sleeves, and started getting Tamrac cases, mostly as they were more focused on my photography needs. But it’s those kind of cases that would be ideal for a travel bag for this upcoming speaker. Enough, but not too much padding, a good water resistant outer layer, and a functional zipper. Shoot, depending on the size of the device, you could even put endpoints on the case so it could be slung with a strap over the shoulder.
I'm a Lowepro guy myself. Still have my Dad's Lowepro bag from 1983, to go along with my new backpack.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).
Sonos Move

Details here. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/8/18/20810817/sonos-move-bluetooth-speaker-leak
Sonos Move

Details here. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/8/18/20810817/sonos-move-bluetooth-speaker-leak

Where's the handle? Is the thing at the bottom (base station) supposed to be a handle?

Also, kind of strange that the Sonia logo is tilted on it's side like that.

I do like the name.
Finally, the change to the new name, Sonia. Or, maybe an autocorrect issue ;)

I think the Sonos logo, of that size, would look more odd on that device in the other orientation, but I suspect that’s a personal perspective. And given that it’s a portable speaker, it makes sense that they want to have more visible logo, so others can see who makes such an incredible speaker.
The handle is at the top of the indentation on the back. Click in the link to the German website that the Verge references, they have more/better pictures.

edit: and thanks, chicks!
Finally, the change to the new name, Sonia. Or, maybe an autocorrect issue ;)

Option 2.

I think the Sonos logo, of that size, would look more odd on that device in the other orientation, but I suspect that’s a personal perspective. And given that it’s a portable speaker, it makes sense that they want to have more visible logo, so others can see who makes such an incredible speaker.

Yea, it just seems like a departure for Sonos.

The handle is at the top of the indentation on the back. Click in the link to the German website that the Verge references, they have more/better pictures.

Ah. I see it now.

I'm not sure I like the look of this too much. I'd like something a little more rugged looking. But it absolutely does look like a sonos. Personal preference.

One thought about this. One hindrance to walk mounting a Sonia is the electrical wiring requirement. You either have to get an electrician to put in an outlet or have exposed wires. The Move though might be within code to wire behind the wall since it's usb. Or not even wire it at all since it's battery powered. Could be very interesting if it's sound quality and price are near the Sonos One.
I have the feeling you're responding on your phone....your typing skills seem to be different :)

But you raise a good point. We don't know specifically yet what the other end of the charging station wire looks like. I think we can assume it's a standard wall plug, rather than stripped wires that would need to be spliced in to wiring behind the wall surface. But then again, I can easily see cutting off the plug, and getting an electrician to do that.

But I suspect more people will just charge it overnight in their bedroom, pick it up and take it into the bath in the morning for use. At least for those where local codes don't allow wall plugs in the bath.

Frankly, if someone is willing to open the wall to get power from behind, they're just as good with a Sonos One, or a PLAY:5.

I'm not familiar enough with those areas to know if that's even allowed by the local codes. I suppose it must be, in some fashion, in order to get lights in the space. But I wonder if it extends to other things like electric razors, speakers, curling irons (I'm struggling to think of things that you plug in to the wall in your bathroom), oh, and electric toothbrushes.

It's going to be an interesting several weeks 🙂
I think it's very likely the charging base will require a standard USB-C wall wart. They are taking over the world now, pretty much, so will be very available. Sonos won't need to worry about sourcing and stocking a proprietary, low margin item.

Look at the first picture, the base is just an empty plastic ring, with no doubt a USB-C port on back, and a couple of fingers to connect to the speaker's charging connector. When travelling, just take the wall wart with you, and plug it into the speaker's USB-C port directly.
I have the feeling you're responding on your phone....your typing skills seem to be different :)

I was trying to use a fire tablet. Guess the auto-correct needs more practice.
But you raise a good point. We don't know specifically yet what the other end of the charging station wire looks like. I think we can assume it's a standard wall plug, rather than stripped wires that would need to be spliced in to wiring behind the wall surface. But then again, I can easily see cutting off the plug, and getting an electrician to do that.

I'm thinking the same as @chicks, I think. If it's powered with a standard USB-C wire with a separate wall plug, then it's 12V. Then I would think you'd be within code to wire it behind the wall. So it would plug to a wall, punch a small hole (or plate) in the wall nearby, and one where the speaker goes. Really, pretty similar to wiring with speaker wire. You won't need an electrician.

But I suspect more people will just charge it overnight in their bedroom, pick it up and take it into the bath in the morning for use. At least for those where local codes don't allow wall plugs in the bath.

For where ever code won't allow, or it just makes more sense, agreed.

Frankly, if someone is willing to open the wall to get power from behind, they're just as good with a Sonos One, or a PLAY:5.

Perhaps it depends on the person. I have little qualms about getting in the wall for low voltage, but 110V is not something I'm that comfortable with.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks Chicks, The pictures look impressive to me. I wonder if standard USB C charging will be sufficient or will the Move require the higher power outputs now available in the USB specification, i.e can use my phone charger as a back up or will we need to buy an additional backup charger?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Has there been any intel on the S23, or is everyone just gaga for the Move? I’m more interested in a Connect replacement, since I have a ZP80 and a ZP100 that may or may not be DOA’d by “mandatory update” in the near future.
I believe USB-C can source 100W at 20V, more than enough for a speaker with highly efficient Class-D amplifiers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I think you are right Chicks I guess what I was wondering was whether my phone charger at 5v and 1A or tablet at 5v and 2A will be sufficient to power / charge at a decent rate cutting down the need to take multiple chargers away. Only minor and answer day on the 27th is getting close
I think you are right Chicks I guess what I was wondering was whether my phone charger at 5v and 1A or tablet at 5v and 2A will be sufficient to power / charge at a decent rate cutting down the need to take multiple chargers away. Only minor and answer day on the 27th is getting close

No, I don't think your phone charger will work...but I do think you'll be able to use the same charger for both your phone, depending on the model of phone. I did a little looking around (so someone needs to correct me where I'm wrong), but it does look like USB-C can handle up to 20V and 5 A (100W), but can also operate at 5V, 9V, 12V, and 15V...all at 3A? I think there then would be communication between the wall plug and device to specify what's the proper voltage/amp to send without damaging equipment? Assuming that's the case, it seems you'd have to very careful with the wire and plug's you used to make sure everything is compliant.

I would not be surprised though if you could use a 5V charger with the Sonos Move, but it would not be enough juice to operate it, just a very slow charge of the battery.

To be clear, I'm speculating on this, don't know for sure and am not an electrical expert. I'm just seeing products like this one linked below and assuming the Move will operate like a macbook.
Has there been any intel on the S23, or is everyone just gaga for the Move? I’m more interested in a Connect replacement, since I have a ZP80 and a ZP100 that may or may not be DOA’d by “mandatory update” in the near future.

There seems to be less info available about this, and perhaps it's just less 'sexy' to the masses. Could also (hopefully?) be that the leaks are planned by Sonos and they wanted to hold something back for marketing purposes. In other words, I don't know.

I would guess that a new connect won't be a big change in features. New hardware and airplay 2 compatibility is a given. Maybe the ability the accept digital inputs? maybe an HDMI/HDMI-ARC- pass through of sorts. I imagine the form factor will change to black and better to fit into a rack. I hope the price will lower as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't change.
I'd assume the chassis for the S23 would mimic the new Sonos Amp, much like the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP had the same form factor.

I'd be fascinated if it included an HDMI pass through of any kind, that would be a substantial change in the world of Sonos. I can't conceive that it will operate as a 5.1 decoder like the Sonos playbars and the Amp can, since Sonos still doesn't allow separate speakers. But would love to be wrong on that, and would actually cause me to buy several PLAY:5s to replace my PLAYBARs. 🙂
More rumors out there regarding the Sonos One SL, which will be an updated version of the Play:1, without microphones, but with Airplay. Hopefully will still be priced at $149, just between the IKEA and the One. Will no doubt be announced at Sonos' presser.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

I wasn't far off, I think I prefer Sonos Go to Sonos Move though 🤓

Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).

Ouch, I hope not!
More rumors out there regarding the Sonos One SL, which will be an updated version of the Play:1, without microphones, but with Airplay. Hopefully will still be priced at $149, just between the IKEA and the One. Will no doubt be announced at Sonos' presser.

Is there a link for this rumor. I find this interesting, if I'm assuming it's true. That could imply several different things. It could mean that Sonos believes there is a big enough market of people who aren't interested in voice control. It could also mean that they are selling a lot of these as surround sound, where voice control can't be used (with the beam currently).

Maybe more interestingly, if the speaker is effectively a Sonos One sans mic, can be paired with a Sonos One w/mic? That would make sense if the speakers looked identical visually and had the same audio signature. There shouldn't be any issue with trueplay. It would also eliminate potential issues with having two different mics in the room (not that you can't turn a mic off if you wish).

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?I wasn't far off, I think I prefer Sonos Go to Sonos Move though 🤓

Both sound good to me. It's very minor but 'Move' gives the impression (to me anyway) that the speaker can move around with you. That being move around within your home or away...so it it emphasizes that the speaker is both wifi and and bluetooth. 'Go', on the other hand, gives the impression that you use it when you're on the go, away from your home only. Just wild speculation.

The other thing about 'Go', is that reminds me of 'Go Pro', which isn't doing to hot in the market these days.

Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).Ouch, I hope not!

I hope not as well, but looking at the existing bluetooth market, it's entirely possible. There are plenty of existing products in this price range, and if the Sonos speaker matches in terms of sound quality, water resistance, and battery life, they would be more than justifed in that price point. Especially since they are adding wifi and tuning capabilities that other competitors don't have.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/cr8hd2/picture_of_sonos_sl_leaks_rumored_to_be_a_micless/