New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Curious to know how the speaker can be used in wifi mode. Can you use it as surround speaker, stereo pair, with a sub? in bluetooth mode, can you stereo pair it?

It may sound kind of strange, but I'm home there's a way to wall mount the thing as well. I just seeing this being more useful you can mount on a wall while charging and just grab and go when you know you're going to want a bluetooth speaker outside or something. Also, I just imagine it will look better on a wall for some reason.
I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....
I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....

Depends on how big the handle is I suppose. Although if it looks odd, but good, then perhaps it can draw attention and get guests asking "What is that?". Word of mouth advertising. Perhaps that was the motivation behind the ikea lampspeaker.

I suppose I've got used to battery powered tools and vacuums and such lately, and much prefer these to be wall mounted and out of the way rather than sitting on a shelf.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if other accessories that come with this are:
  • extra USB-C battery
  • solar panel charger
  • carrying case with shoulder strap
Well, I might be surprised, but I'd like to see it. Solar channel might be a bad idea if it encourages people to leave the speaker outside permanently.
No arguments from me, unsurprisingly. :)

And I suppose it would make a difference if the handle is recessed, or proud of the back. I've not seen any pictures (and not really looked, either) to tell either way.

But I concur...I can't imagine that this is designed for permanent outside use. Just portable outside use.

We'll find out soon enough 🙂

We'll find out soon enough :)

Actually, Aug 27 doesn't feel soon enough to me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I'm sure Flexson will be on the case! £50 for a crappy piece of plastic 😂

If they're discreet enough, a few wall mounts around the garden would be good for me, then I can move the speaker around when needed.

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

Re battery life. I used to have a Squeezebox Radio, an amazing bit of kit. The battery lasted 6+ hours.

I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....I'm sure Flexson will be on the case! £50 for a crappy piece of plastic 😂

If they're discreet enough, a few wall mounts around the garden would be good for me, then I can move the speaker around when needed.

Hadn't considered that possibility. I was thinking more of an indoor charging station.

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

I'd go with Sonos 2/Duo/Dual. Two is the natural progression and it emphasizes that the speaker has 2 modes.

Re battery life. I used to have a Squeezebox Radio, an amazing bit of kit. The battery lasted 6+ hours.

I'm going to guess it will go about 3 hours. Although battery life is important, I don't think Sonos will want to limit sound quality in order to get longer life. I also don't think it's as important since USB power sources are pretty easy to get these days.

It's rumored to be pretty bug, but I hope it fits in a carry-on suit case. I don't travel much, but usually do take a bluetooth speaker with me when I do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I expect it to have much more than 3 hours batrery life - around double that should be no problem based on what many other manufacturers are able to achieve.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
My concern would be that the battery is replaceable by the user. I have squeezebox radios, a Zipp, and B&O headphones - all have replaceable batteries.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Now, headphones would be a real plus!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm going to guess it will go about 3 hours. Although battery life is important, I don't think Sonos will want to limit sound quality in order to get longer life. I also don't think it's as important since USB power sources are pretty easy to get these days.

I'd expect much more, no doubt it's taller than the One to fit in a big battery. The Squeezebox Radio was only 2000 mAh 10 years back, Anker battery packs are ~ 20000 mAh nowadays and fairly compact.
I suspect it’ll be similar to this discontinued Insignia portable smart speaker, which has a five hour battery life. I use one in the bathroom, where the better SQ of a Sonos won’t really matter. The constant time and temperature display mean it definitely won’t be replaced by a Sonos anytime soon.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-CSPGASP2/5865906
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I suspect it’ll be similar to this discontinued Insignia portable smart speaker, which has a five hour battery life. I use one in the bathroom, where the better SQ of a Sonos won’t really matter. The constant time and temperature display mean it definitely won’t be replaced by a Sonos anytime soon.

Never thought of having one in the bathroom! I guess you can have plug sockets in the bathroom in the US with it being lower voltage? Here in the UK we can't so a battery powered Sonos speaker would be ideal

Never thought of having one in the bathroom! I guess you can have plug sockets in the bathroom in the US with it being lower voltage? Here in the UK we can't so a battery powered Sonos speaker would be ideal

No, low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
A 20000mAh battery is not that big or heavy and don't think just 3h would satisfy many of the use cases I'd envision. I don't have a clue when you did your battery quote but don't think actual battery tech has come on a huge amount for a fair few years actually - but more and more people are using portable packs. I also imagine Sonos not to use any of the really new battery tech anyway, just whatever does the job for a price. USB C on the other hand I imagine to be a key enabler for this device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've removed some responses here. It would be appreciated if we could focus on the subject matter of the topic.

Not low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..

I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so will just point out the "F" is for "Fault".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Not low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so will just point out the "F" is for "Fault".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Doh! Thanks for the correction.
A 20000mAh battery is not that big or heavy and don't think just 3h would satisfy many of the use cases I'd envision. I don't have a clue when you did your battery quote but don't think actual battery tech has come on a huge amount for a fair few years actually - but more and more people are using portable packs. I also imagine Sonos not to use any of the really new battery tech anyway, just whatever does the job for a price. USB C on the other hand I imagine to be a key enabler for this device.

If 'you' is me in this case, then I did absolutely no research in coming up with my guess. It is pure WAG. I really have no idea what power requirement we can expect from this, nor battery costs, or what final product cost Sonos is going to have. My thought was that 3 hrs would be ok, if it was feasible to get a typical portable battery charger. But that's only considering my theoretical use case.

Assuming the rumors are true about this product, I didn't see it coming. I don't know how well it's going to work in a back yard since most people don't have great wifi coverage out there. Maybe that's changed? I suspect most people will use it inside their home or in bluetooth mode most of the time. Another WAG perhaps.

What do we imagine this will cost? If we assume it is similar sound quality to a Sonos One, then it would likely be at least $200. But then you have auto tune, weatherized (to some extent), battery, and bluetooth. $300? Maybe it's slightly lower quality and placed at $250?

Personally, I don't know that I'm going to get one myself. A lot depends on whether it can be stereo paired, what the actual cost is and how it sounds. It doesn't fill much of a need for me personally.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Danny, no, not at all directed at you - just a result of Edward's edit.
Wouldn't take a genius who it was directed at as most of the threads they post in invariably descend to.
Danny, no, not at all directed at you - just a result of Edward's edit.
Wouldn't take a genius who it was directed at as most of the threads they post in invariably descend to.

I didn't take offense either way, just wanted to clarify that my guess wasn't based on anything concrete.

I'm aware of some of the posts that got removed, and how it got started.
If 'you' is me in this case, then I did absolutely no research in coming up with my guess. It is pure WAG. I really have no idea what power requirement we can expect from this, nor battery costs, or what final product cost Sonos is going to have. My thought was that 3 hrs would be ok, if it was feasible to get a typical portable battery charger. But that's only considering my theoretical use case.

Assuming the rumors are true about this product, I didn't see it coming. I don't know how well it's going to work in a back yard since most people don't have great wifi coverage out there. Maybe that's changed? I suspect most people will use it inside their home or in bluetooth mode most of the time. Another WAG perhaps.

What do we imagine this will cost? If we assume it is similar sound quality to a Sonos One, then it would likely be at least $200. But then you have auto tune, weatherized (to some extent), battery, and bluetooth. $300? Maybe it's slightly lower quality and placed at $250?

Personally, I don't know that I'm going to get one myself. A lot depends on whether it can be stereo paired, what the actual cost is and how it sounds. It doesn't fill much of a need for me personally.

It’s well beyond rumor at this point, photos and detailed specs, clearly leaked by Sonos, are everywhere.

When I take my Insignia smart speaker, via its convenient built in handle, to the back yard, I use Bluetooth from my phone, in 4G LTE mode, as WiFi is unavailable for the speaker or phone out there. Works nicely for up to the five hour limit of the speaker’s battery. A USB-C port, with a mega battery pack, would allow the Sonos to outlast your phone’s battery.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I was thinking even lesser quality and cheaper than the One, £100-£130, with maybe a dock as optional extra.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

When I take my Insignia smart speaker, via its convenient built in handle, to the back yard, I use Bluetooth from my phone, in 4G LTE mode, as WiFi is unavailable for the speaker or phone out there.

If you have an indoor Sonos near your back yard, eg kitchen, maybe you'll get a signal. WiFi in my garden is poor but I can take a Play1 to the end of my garden as it uses the signal from the kitchen play5

I was thinking even lesser quality and cheaper than the One, £100-£130, with maybe a dock as optional extra.

No way is Sonos going to cut into Ikea's market by offering a speaker with these extra features at the same price as the Ikea bookshelf. My guess is also $250.