New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

To recap:
Really expensive connect replacement
$50 more than the current Connect, with additional features. I'd say it's not bad for those who don't have a Connect already, but isn't going to cause anyone to replace what they have.

And a feature removed (optical output), on a product that was overpriced to begin with.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's BLE, used merely for initial setup. As jgatie said.

It even has two separate test reports, one for BLE and one for BT.
Fascinating.

That would be a pretty significant turn around for Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What do you mean?Posters going into a discussion of what is being released to complain about what isn't being released.

I was clearly complaining about what was being released as well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I was clearly complaining about what was being released as well.

Well, good for you! It's posters like you who make this place so special. 😊

And posters like you who think the company can do no wrong will be what ultimately drives it out of business. So good for both of us I guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've removed some responses here. It would be appreciated if we could focus on the subject matter of the topic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://fccid.io/SBVRM017
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
To recap:
Really expensive bluetooth speaker
Slightly more expensive Play 1

No Playbar updates
No smaller Sub
No DTS support

Home theater crowd left out in the cold again. Am I missing anything?
Fascinating.

That would be a pretty significant turn around for Sonos.

Could it be for the Sonos headphones we’ve heard so much about? BT would make sense there...

Actually, any old BT headphone would work if Sonos integrates a BT transmitter. Dunno.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So the smart money is that the release will be at the IFA show in Berlin from the 6th to the 11 Sept. Hopefully more info at the end of this week!

We'll find out soon enough :)

Actually, Aug 27 doesn't feel soon enough to me.
For those who (beats me why) still want to use AirPlay, they’ll have three options: $99 for the IKEA, albeit with inferior sound, $149 for the SL, or $199 for the One. Lots of examples of these stair step product offerings out there. Look at cars, for example. People love choices.

True...along with the lamp and others.

I wonder if Sonos considered this SL product when Sonos One was released, but worried it would impact Sonos One sales negatively and wanted to give it a couple years to establish. Does that also possibly mean that the Sonos Move can possibly be considered a play:3 replacement? And then, assuming the Connect is being replaced, that means play:5, playbar, sub and possibly playbase are all that remains of the 'old line' of products. Does that mean they are next?

play:5 may actually be up to date enough. It has the black/white color scheme, airplay 2 compatibility. What it lacks is voice assistant and auto true play, if that becomes available. Perhaps not enough to warrant an upgrade, but also seems rather important for your best speaker.

playbar, it could use an upgrade for sure, but it feels like it should get more than just colors, hdmi-arc, airplay, and voice control...if atmos or some other advancement is in the near future. I'd say the playbar needs more than just getting the bar up to date, it needs new features.

sub...nothing really to change excpet maybe the finish.

playbase. It's pretty similar to the play:5 really.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Been pulled. Oops Amazon.....
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ooooh shiny!
I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂

If they do spill after agreeing not to, they'll never be invited to another Sonos presser!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Erm, leaks are generally anonymous and deliberate...
Not being invited again isn't quite the same with some client 'agreements'..
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?

Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
The pictures were of the SL and said $179.
Release date was 13th Sep I think. Around then anyway.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....

I'm sure Flexson will be on the case! £50 for a crappy piece of plastic 😂

If they're discreet enough, a few wall mounts around the garden would be good for me, then I can move the speaker around when needed.

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

Re battery life. I used to have a Squeezebox Radio, an amazing bit of kit. The battery lasted 6+ hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I expect it to have much more than 3 hours batrery life - around double that should be no problem based on what many other manufacturers are able to achieve.
I'm a Lowepro guy myself. Still have my Dad's Lowepro bag from 1983, to go along with my new backpack.
Interesting that it’s going to be a two day event. Sonos must have a lot of new stuff to show. One day for the two channel audio, another for sound bars?
A 20000mAh battery is not that big or heavy and don't think just 3h would satisfy many of the use cases I'd envision. I don't have a clue when you did your battery quote but don't think actual battery tech has come on a huge amount for a fair few years actually - but more and more people are using portable packs. I also imagine Sonos not to use any of the really new battery tech anyway, just whatever does the job for a price. USB C on the other hand I imagine to be a key enabler for this device.

If 'you' is me in this case, then I did absolutely no research in coming up with my guess. It is pure WAG. I really have no idea what power requirement we can expect from this, nor battery costs, or what final product cost Sonos is going to have. My thought was that 3 hrs would be ok, if it was feasible to get a typical portable battery charger. But that's only considering my theoretical use case.

Assuming the rumors are true about this product, I didn't see it coming. I don't know how well it's going to work in a back yard since most people don't have great wifi coverage out there. Maybe that's changed? I suspect most people will use it inside their home or in bluetooth mode most of the time. Another WAG perhaps.

What do we imagine this will cost? If we assume it is similar sound quality to a Sonos One, then it would likely be at least $200. But then you have auto tune, weatherized (to some extent), battery, and bluetooth. $300? Maybe it's slightly lower quality and placed at $250?

Personally, I don't know that I'm going to get one myself. A lot depends on whether it can be stereo paired, what the actual cost is and how it sounds. It doesn't fill much of a need for me personally.
Well that didn't take long.
To recap:

$50 more than the current Connect, with additional features. I'd say it's not bad for those who don't have a Connect already, but isn't going to cause anyone to replace what they have.

Really expensive bluetooth speaker

Well, if you want a cheap bluetooth speaker this is not it. If you want a good speaker that's fully part of Sonos and can be used as a bluetooth speaker with weather protection and auto tuning...seems like it might be priced similar to the competition.

Slightly more expensive Play 1

...that matches Sonos One, can be paired with Sonos One, capacitive controls, and has airplay. If those don't matter to you, then a play:1 is a definitely a better option.

No Playbar updates
No smaller Sub
No DTS support

Correct.

Home theater crowd left out in the cold again. Am I missing anything?