Music library not reacheable because of SMB1

Badge

Hello SONOS,

I'm disapointed that you have not a secure communication standard like smb3 available.

Now my music library on the NAS DS720+ is not reacheable anymore.

Please supply me a modern communication protocol.

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi @bentriviani 

This thread is somewhat out of date. Sonos S1 software still requires SMB1, but S2 software now supports SMB2/3, which all NAS servers support.

If you’re on S1, you’ll need to look up your NAS manual on how to make the changes to the settings.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7

To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file sharing protocol.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Or use a NAS to SMB v1 gateway for a more secure solution. See the thousands of other SMB v1 posts for more background on this issue.

NAS (any protocol) toSMB v1 gateway: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Badge

To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file sharing protocol.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US

Hi thanks for your reply.

I used my NAS already for one year with the SONOS system to play the music library on the NAS DS 720+ without any problems.

After Synology release update to DSM 7.0 this service is not working anymore.

This however SMB1 is selected as minimum SMB protocol.

I tried to set back the SMB1 protocol, that Synology offers on his site. But the downloaded file cannot be set back to my NAS (SMBService-x86_64-4.10.18-0189.spk)  

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US/

and how can I find out if NAS supports SMB (v1) / CIFS file sharing? thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bentriviani 

This thread is somewhat out of date. Sonos S1 software still requires SMB1, but S2 software now supports SMB2/3, which all NAS servers support.

If you’re on S1, you’ll need to look up your NAS manual on how to make the changes to the settings.

I hope this helps.

@bentriviani You would need to check the manual for your particular NAS to see how to find/change that setting. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, my library became unreachable exactly after I disabled SMB1 on my Windows machines (my library is on a Windows Server, NOT on a NAS device). So much for the thread being “somewhat out of date.”

But once I re-enabled SMB1, I still am not able to connect to my music library. This is a royal mess, folks. The music library set up starts, but after a few minutes I get the below:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update: this is maybe NOT SMB1 after all. I still have no idea why I was suddenly unable to connect to my music library from any device (the day after I disabled SMB1). The standard suggestion is to remove your library and add it again.

However, my music library is around 100GB, and Sonos (S2) croaks a few minutes after trying to set up the library again. If I [re]build my library a little at a time, it works. But it has to be VERY little, and as you can see it takes time to do this for a library this large.

I see that this is a known issue - documented in other posts. One person even said that 1,100 is about the most that Sonos can bite off at a time.

Is there any intent to fix this? I can open a ticket if I don’t see a response - meanwhile I’ll rebuild my library a little at a time…

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

One person even said that 1,100 is about the most that Sonos can bite off at a time.

Just my 2 cents: my library contains abt. 64,900 items in 6,300 folders, 901 GB. Indexing takes between 5 and 10 minutes. You must have some other sort of problem, I'm sure.

I have/had the same problem. My music library is stored on a Synology DS920+ (SMB3). Using the S2 app I can connect no problem. Using the S1 app doesn't work.

However I can connect to my library with S1 app by using ‘Plex’.

T

I’m using Synology and S2. I have no issues accessing my library and I can casually flip the Synology between SMB1-2-3 while music is playing.

At other homes I have seen issues with the SONOS controller not being able to setup the library shares due to a Windows setting. Make sure that the library share is marked as “Public” and that SONOS has the correct access credentials.

The indexer might crash if it encounters a stray character in the track metadata. 

Finally, one of the SONOS players will be in charge of building the index. If this player doesn’t have enough free space, the indexer might terminate in mid run. The solution is to break the library into smaller segments, perhaps having separate shares for Classical, Pop, and Seasonal. You can also reduce the size of the meta data. For example, some rippers insist on pushing the whole first stanza of an opera track into the file name and track title. This is unnecessary. A very manageable scheme for the human is to keep each CD in a separate folder and simply use the track number or similar for each file name. My file names are simply TRK001.flac, etc.

So, just double-double checking, if completely migrated to S2 the idea is to set a Synology NAS to;

• Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3
  • Minimum SMB protocol: SMB2

(i.e. so no SMB1)

☝🏻 Anyone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sup4rfu8e 

So, just double-double checking, if completely migrated to S2 the idea is to set a Synology NAS to;

• Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3
  • Minimum SMB protocol: SMB2

(i.e. so no SMB1)

Yes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m having similar issues with my S2 system, I have ~300GB library with around 22K tracks. If I add a large amount of new stuff in one go my S2 system can’t index it and throws the “share unreachable error” The only way to “fix it” is to trash the library and rebuild it around 20-30 albums at a time. Totally unacceptable. My S1 system doesn’t have this issue and runs on the same LAN using the same NAS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @groove_regulator 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @groove_regulator 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Thanks Corry we've had lengthy remote sessions and your technical team have concluded that this is a bug on your side but with no timeline to fix 😭

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I see that this thread has a few different issues being discussed but from my perspective I can report since the Sonos update this morning (02/Apr/23) (think it was both a controller and firmware update) I’m able to re-add my entire 300GB library in one chunk without the S2 platform throwing an error. Since I also run an S1 platform the QNAP NAS still has the option to support SMB1 enabled. It’s a shame S1 can’t be upgraded to read SMB2 or 3.

Yes, it is indeed a shame that there’s not enough memory available to add SMB v2 or above to the linux kernel that is S1, and put it on older devices that also don’t have available memory space for it. I’d guess that might have been one of the substantial reasons why Sonos had to move to S2 for support of higher versions of SMB.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just to add I still get library errors, when loading a large playlist (say 800 tracks) I will get "track not found errors" for the first few items, but it eventually settles down. Still far from acceptable for me since local library access is the main reason I bought into sonos more than a decade ago. There are several cheaper alternatives if streaming is all that's required. I really hope they sort this out else I'll need to move to bluesound.

There is no fundamental issue at 800 tracks. As a quickie test I loaded an entire share into an empty Queue, saved it, emptied the Queue, then loaded the Playlist and it played without event. There were just over 2700 tracks.

I notice that my NAS drives are slow to startup. If a drive has been sleeping the first track might fail because SONOS is impatient. After the drive is awake there are no further issues.

This could create issues for alarms. A workaround is to make up a silent or zero Volume alarm a minute or two before the actual alarm. This will wake the drive and get it ready for the actual alarm.

As a further test I added another share to my saved Playlist. It’s now almost 6300 tracks. Still no issue.

Just a note: while SONOS is sensitive to the number of tracks and the size of metadata, file size is not an issue. If all tracks in an album are combined into a single file, the library limit would be 65000 albums. Of course, finding and playing a single track would be difficult.

Just for fun I built a 10000 track Playlist and added it six times to the Queue. Queue length is now 60000 tracks. No issues. Note that my metadata for these tracks is relatively short.

I was able to save this monster Queue as a SONOS Playlist and load it into an empty Queue.