Question

I guess I don't get Chromecast Audio

• 14 December 2015
  • 63 replies

Show first post

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You are supposed to be able to cast anything when using chrome browser and google cast add on thingy...I think....
GCA on order.
The quality is fine but it's a live recording, not a studio mix. I haven't been watching the video but I just checked and the synch is fine.

Well,good to know, thanks! Gives me hope that one day Google will support this in their app, as well. Although now that I have a Playbar, the Chromecast video version works perfectly for casting videos to the TV, with great sound.
Badge
Just browsed through the thread a bit & after looking at the various comments here's my two cents:
What I see Google doing with it's Chromecast products is bridging the gap between digital services and analogue products. Home theater equipment is a niche hobby & the technology reflects that. I bet most of us can count on one hand the number of our friends -or- family who care about getting Dolby or DTS decoded directly from the media source & being reflected in the playback experience.

Therefore I see the customer base for both products to be different as well. Chromecast users want a plug & play solution to use with their existing set-up. Sonos, on the other hand has designed their product from the ground up; for those of us that are purists (or overly specific) when it comes to compression, codecs, format, and or not being married into a specific ecosystem (i.e. agnostic).

In short, it's apples to oranges IMO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I just want to get sonos to my a/v receiver. I refuse to pay £279 for a connect. GCA can do this for £30, I keep all my music in google play anyway. This could be a sonos killer with Sony & LG already selling speakers with GCA inside.
Ideally I want sonos to cast to GCA, or sonos brings out its own output dongle with a premium.....say around £80
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I just want to get sonos to my a/v receiver. I refuse to pay £279 for a connect. GCA can do this for £30, I keep all my music in google play anyway. This could be a sonos killer with Sony & LG already selling speakers with GCA inside.
Ideally I want sonos to cast to GCA, or sonos brings out its own output dongle with a premium.....say around £80

I am guessing Sonos won't be doing any casting to the competitors product but MAYBE they can discount the Connect to stop some from going down the GCA path. With the GCA now capable of sync and grouping it is difficult to justify the crazy pricing premium on the Connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The connect does too much, I need a cheaper output only device to hifi kit I already own. I think a sonos dongle would be great to combat GCA.
Anyway tried GCA in my receiver, it works fine with google play and tunein radio, but a few drop outs. It won't work with my old ipod's as they are too old iOS6, and chromecast wants iOS7 or 8, working with iphones, Samsung tablet, and laptop. Setting up laptop was usual nightmare, got latest chrome, tried googles self help, eventually re-started laptop and all worked.
In summary experience nowhere near as slick as sonos. I love the way you just press the top of play:1 and music instantly there, then fire up a control device to change it if desired.
I love the way you just press the top of play:1 and music instantly there
I agree; now that I am used to this with all my Sonos units, I can't see myself settling for Chromecast that is very clunky in comparison.
I love the way you just press the top of play:1 and music instantly there, then fire up a control device to change it if desired.

You'll love the new Play:5 then... touch controls. Even less physical effort to start the music! 😃
I was looking at buying 2 or 3 sonos connects, however I can't even find Australian stores selling them... and considering I could buy 9 CCAs for the price of one connect, with change left over.. It's a tempting switch..
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just got an £5 optical lead for CCA, so much more detail using a/v receiver's DAC. Had trouble with laptop finding device, disabled iTunes bonjour service (whatever that is) and it all worked.
Looks like I'm stuck with 2 systems at the mo, sonos for kitchen & upstairs, CCA for other powered speakers & a/v receiver in lounge.
Best of both... Sonos throughout my house with a Chromecast plugged into one. This means I get the benefits Sonos delivers and patches over the features they can't/won't implement. Eg I can now stream BBC iPlayer from the app throughout my house given the Sonos/TuneIn offering is inadequate. I can use a load of apps like SoundCloud and even TuneIn and not have to suffer the awful Sonos interface, yet still enjoy the sound!

Unless Sonos integrate Google Cast, a CCA will only compliment your system!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
What are you using as a controller?
When I used the pc, bbc iplayer radio opened in own little window, and then there was no cast symbol.
Userlevel 2
I've been at this digital audio thing for many years now, starting back with the old Squeezebox version 3 (SB3). I became a Sonos convert in order to access Songza. At the time (circa 2010 or so) the only way to bring legacy stereo systems into the Sonos world was Connect, so I bought one (along with a Bridge and a Play5). Over the years I've added 2 Play1s.

Now Songza is dead -- converted to Google Play Music. In order to get access to the latter (without upgrading to the premium subscription service) I bought a CCA and ported it into the line-in of my Play5.

So now I have a real Frankenstein monster of a set-up:

Bridge into router
Seagate NAS into router
Logitech Media Server on laptop (for old Squeezebox devices)
Connect into old (speakers are from the 80s :D) stereo system in the living room; SB Touch ported into line-in
SB Radio on bedside table
Play5 in kitchen; CCA ported into line-in
Play1 out by the hot-tub
Play1 in the dining room

Recently I discovered that I can "cast" Google Play Music (the free version) from my Blackberry Priv, bypassing the CCA that is ported into the Play5 -- but I still need the CCA to "cast" from an iPad. I haven't tried "casting" from a computer yet, but I imagine that's not a problem out of Chrome.

So, what I have learned is that my system will NEVER be set and finalized -- the industry is organized in such a way that I am ALWAYS adding, tweaking and finding work-arounds.

So it goes ...