Ditching Sonos if voice control takes much longer

Tired of waiting for Sonos to incorporate Echo voice control Was promised as early2017 and then postponed to "later this year." I am ready to dump if this company doesn't provide an accurate and reasonable solution in the near term.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Not sure why I thought you were in the UK Air. Nice tribute to your mom. Sorry for your loss.

My business started 25 years ago teaching old people how to use computers and windows and AOL. Hated it, but loved it at the same time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
just sharing:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-lays-out-terms-for-voice-control-ahead-of-alexa-skill/
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
just sharing:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-lays-out-terms-for-voice-control-ahead-of-alexa-skill/

Yep!!! Got an official email today advising of the update to the privacy policy. This suggests full Alexa integration is around the corner. I trust they would not put out these signals and then wait anything more than 1 week to roll out. Given people's anxiety around this issue that wouldn't be advisable.🆒
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Interesting. I received no email, but my Sonos gear was purchased in Canada, where Echo products aren't sold. However, interestingly, Alexa a few days ago started accepting Canadian addresses in its config setup for the first time (useful for weather etc.), so I'm betting Amazon will soon be selling Echo there. Canadians, Alexa and Sonos-Alexa may be on their way to the Great White North. Too bad I'm now in Brasil, lol (but with Sonos/Echo here as well).
Too bad I'm now in Brasil, lol (but with Sonos/Echo here as well).

If usage is limited to North America at first, you could route your traffic through a US VPN service (if the new upcoming Sonos terms do not prohibit such a workaround). Depends on your internet connection though.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Too bad I'm now in Brasil, lol (but with Sonos/Echo here as well).

If usage is limited to North America at first, you could route your traffic through a US VPN service (if the new upcoming Sonos terms do not prohibit such a workaround). Depends on your internet connection though.

I can use Echo Dots in Brasil. I just can't set a local street or city address. So I have them set to a US address (although I can now change to my Canadian address). So, for example, instead of saying "what's the weather," which will get me Detroit weather because of the current setup, I must say "what's the weather in Salvador Brasil."
Not a biggie. I can make everything else work in Brasil, just as I could make everything work in Canada before Alexa allowed Canadian addresses. If fact, because my Dots in Canada and Brasil are on the same account I can control lights and door locks in my Canadian house from my Brasil home, using Alexa. Brasilian Spotify also works fine with my Alexa account either in Canada or Brasil
I'm expecting no problems with Sonos. Pre-Alexa everything Sonos works fine in Brasil. Only Slacker is a problem, easily solved with a SmartDNS service I use for other reasons. Slacker is North American only, so is geolocked. Tidal and Deezer Elite are Brasilian accounts because both are cheaper here and they are also fine on Sonos in both Brasil and Canada. But I have VPNs available if needed. I use them because sometimes life on the internet is difficult for those who bounce back and forth between two countries.