Ditching Sonos if voice control takes much longer

Tired of waiting for Sonos to incorporate Echo voice control Was promised as early2017 and then postponed to "later this year." I am ready to dump if this company doesn't provide an accurate and reasonable solution in the near term.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Tired of waiting for Sonos to incorporate Echo voice control Was promised as early2017 and then postponed to "later this year." I am ready to dump if this company doesn't provide an accurate and reasonable solution in the near term.

No it was not promised "early 2017 and then postponed". The official press release stated the following:

The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

The fact some assumed this meant early 2017 is not Sonos' fault. And if you dump them, who are you dumping them for?
A factually incorrect original post and a pointless, empty threat. (Might as well tell it like it is.)
So say Sonos is the first to come out with an Alexa integration, which seems likely. Are you going to avoid Sonos and wait for the Bose or someone else to come out? I get the impatience, I really wish it was here now as well. And I get the desire to 'play your cards', but the fact is, we really don't have very good cards to play in this scenario.
I hate these threads. The bunny never, ever gets it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If you are ready to walk the walk, let me know what kind of equipment you'll be selling. I like a good deal.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'd imagine that Sonos are as keen to release an update that enables Alexa integration as we all are.
I'd also think that they would like to get it released before the Apple Homepod is released, which from what I've read is December.
If they don't they will lose potential customers to Apple and other manufacturers.
I know what keeps me with Sonos is the fantastic sound quality of their speakers, I'd be surprised if the Homepod sounds as good.

Apple Music could be an issue though, as it's currently not available with on the Amazon Echo, although maybe that won't be an issue depending on how the integration will work?
I'd certainly agree that I would see very little reason for Apple music to provide the support/hooks necessary to Amazon/ Sonos to help the integration, since they are indeed working on the HomePod system. But I'll hold out some hope that the number of current customers in the Sonos Ecosystem who are Apple Music Subscribers might make them think twice.

I guess we'll need to see when Sonos releases the software update. But I could also see that it might be in phases. First phase is these X groups of streams, then some time later another Y , etc, as companies recognize the number of Sonos users who want this system. Or, they could just say "we already integrated with the Sonos App, and we're not dedicating any more resources, since there's already a way"....
I'll hold out some hope that the number of current customers in the Sonos Ecosystem who are Apple Music Subscribers might make them think twice.

Case in point is how I switched from Apple Music to Google Play as soon as the latter was launched in India a couple of months ago. With that, I no longer care about native casting from the Apple Music app, Google offers that on Sonos today - indeed that has been the case for over a year. Of course, having used it, one realises that it isn't all that much of an additional feature to what is provided within the Sonos controller interface for both Apple and Google and both basically are just slightly different flavours of the same ice cream.

But other than such actions, we really don't have good cards as melvimbe accurately pointed out. Rants are just wasted breath. One only hopes that whenever the integration is released, it is a capable one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
This article I read this morning is very interesting : http://uk.businessinsider.com/aiqudo-startup-voice-assistants-better-2017-8
Indeed; every few years the open standards and communication across different OEM devices challenge raises its head and until solved successfully, someone makes a lot of money from walled garden approaches. Until the next set of applications that lets someone else do so.
Userlevel 1
Just like to say how good Dezzer music is on Sonos. Massive choice, personal favourites,and crystal clear on Sonos. People rave about Apple Music and Spotify. I've tried them all and still went back to Deezer. A friend called who had never heard of Deezer and was amazed at some very obscure jazz tracks that the music app found. No, I don't work for them
Apple Music could be an issue though, as it's currently not available with on the Amazon Echo, although maybe that won't be an issue depending on how the integration will work?

That'll be the next thread threatening Sonos. I'll never understand buying gear like this on a mention of a feature. Or buying it in general and then whining when a new feature is announced way after purchase as a bonus and then delayed. Be happy with what you have and appreciative for what's coming.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Just like to say how good Dezzer music is on Sonos. Massive choice, personal favourites,and crystal clear on Sonos. People rave about Apple Music and Spotify. I've tried them all and still went back to Deezer. A friend called who had never heard of Deezer and was amazed at some very obscure jazz tracks that the music app found. No, I don't work for them

I totally agree with you. Deezer I think has the best integration with Sonos that I've seen and allows lossless playback option. I actually felt like I was left no choice but to sign up with Deezer as most of the other services were not available where I live (Trinidad & Tobago) - though Apple Music is also now available. The translation of their mobile app options into Sonos is rich and excellent. For instance if you do an artist search and elect that artists name in Apple Music it would throw up a complete set of tiles with the act's discography. In Deezer you are given a full set of options. One for going into their discography, another for top tracks, another for playlists involving that artist, and yet another for similar artists - which I use a lot when building my own playlists. Another thing I like with Deezer is that when presenting an artist's discography they show it from the most recent going back - this seems like a logical way to do this. Apple does it in what appears to be random order - probably some method to it but I don't care for that approach. I have seen the other services integration through trials and Deezer's is by far the best.

The thing with these services is how you feel about their catalogue. All will have most of what you will ever want to hear but there are nuances. Apple Music, Tidal have good access to top act exclusives that you won't get on Deezer for even Spotify. But then Deezer has access to a broader category of easy I will call "world music".

For those out of the US in particular I think Deezer is an excellent option. I enjoy a bit of the best of both world's because my wife also has an Apple Music subscription which we enjoy through Sonos as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I actually find this threat a bit funny. Partly due to misinformation that informed it but also because leaving Sonos does not make you better off at this time if voice control through a system lie this is what you are looking for.

As others have suggested here, I rather suspect Sonos will be looking to release ahead of HomePod to minimize loss of existing or potential customers. For that they have till December - although I would suggest they release at least a couple month's before with a strong campaign. But we will have to wait and see. Once they launch Alexa integration it would also be nice to move into working with other voice assistants to send an "all inclusive" message.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Due to their release period, the integration must already be in beta testing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I understand the frustration. However, I do not understand the threats. I am eagerly awaiting Alexa integration, and have had Echo Dots hanging around for months. But it won't kill me if I have to control my Sonos gear with a tablet for a few more months. Nor will it have any serious impact on my life or music listening. It's a feature, not a life changer. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty small potatoes. I'm more interested in expanded podcast abilities, fixes for some existing problems, further implementation of features that are missing from API-linked apps and Audible (which I and others expect Is now tied to Alexa integration). And I know Sonos doesn't give a damn if I buy someone else's products. They only give a damn if huge numbers of existing and potential customers do so. Of course, that is a possibility if Sonos lags as others advance, and if others can match or exceed Sonos audio quality at a similar price. Only time will tell.
I have to agree, this is no longer super critical. I have 26 zone players scattered across 17 zones and for quite some time now I have been the only person left in the family who uses them. I am hopeful once the integration is released that it will be easy enough for the family to use that they will once again utilize the Sonos gear but for now they are happy enough using the Echos. I have experimented with replacing Connects with Echo Dots in a few places where I have amps and large speakers and am happy enough with the result that I have started listening through Alexa more myself.

There is no drama, threats, or frustration, but rather a slow fading of Sonos as everyone adapts to Alexa. I think this is likely to be more common in most households than folks suddenly dumping Sonos in anger. When the integration eventually comes it may breathe new life into my Sonos gear and that would be nice but there is no urgency, and to some extent fading interest.
Much like controlling my front door lock or thermostat was cool for a week, and then paled in the light of reality. I look on this as an accessory, but not key to the value of my Sonos system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I use Echo Dots for temperature, light and door lock control. I suspect I'll end up using them for those purposes much more than for Sonos when Alexa compatibility arrives. I usually like to explore before I decide what to play, so the ability to issue explicit musical instructions won't normally be all that interesting. But I'll be ecstatic if voice control can help me get around the sometimes burdensome task of selecting Sonos speakers, particularly for attached linein devices.
I have no doubt that Sonos will get used a lot more at my house after integration. Much of the time, I'm wanting a particular song or artist, and voice searching is just so much easier. Even more so, this is the interface my kids are most comfortable with. They always opt to use the dot of the sonos system, don't even want the app on their phones. This brings the best of both worlds together.

I don't think it's going to have that much of a difference though, if your the type of person who just wants to listen to a radio station, or album, or whatever, and never switch it up.

I do think it's absence is/would effect sales though. Last Christmas I was going to get P1s for my kids rooms. Bought them and everything. I ended up taking them back though, as I realized that they would get much more use out of Echos. Multiroom wasn't that big of an appeal for their bedrooms. If the integration existed last Christmas, I certainly would have gone with P1s paired to a dot.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm sure Alexa will make a difference to those whose families use Sonos. I hadn't thought much about that. My kids are grown and my wife is a technophobe, so here it is pretty much just me and Sonos. My wife keeps telling me I have to write a book on how to use our audio and video equipment in case I die and she can't figure out what to do with it.
Heh. My wife just made the same comment... if anything happens to me she won't have a clue how to run all the gadgets around here. I definitely get the family thing. And I'm not complaining that it's just me and Sonos. 😃
My mother, god rest her soul, was an elementary school librarian, and while not a technophobe, certainly couldn't get her mind around the whole process of electronics. I used to spend a lot of time writing up instructions for her on how to do all sorts of things like hooking up TVs to VCRs, etc. But once a device was set up, including computers, she was a wizard. It was just the setup that she got hung up on.

I have fond memories of visiting her at Vienna Elementary in Vienna, VA, and setting up all sorts of things for her.
Getting offtopic now, but my mother is similar. She doesn't want to understand how things work, she only wants a set of instructions to follow. So something as simple switching tv inputs caused her much trouble. She didn't want to understand that you hit the input button till you get the input you. She only wanted to here. "Push the input button twice". That would have been fine, except if she pushed the button 3 times by accident, she was completely lost.

She has gotten a lot better, lately but she still isn't very good with the concepts.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Should I die and end up in hell, I'm convinced I will be condemned to an eternity of teaching old people how to use computers and Windows. Forget rats, snakes, spiders, fire etc. This would be my own personal hell. I'm no longer young, but I've been working with computers since before Windows or even DOS (can we say CP/M, lol) and still like to build my own machines for the fun of it. So I'm okay. They are not. I hope Lucifer isn't reading this.