Question

Can I get everyone's opinion on alternative controllers for Sonos hardware?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm ready to explore other options as the new v5.0 'update' is a complete turd. Sonopad looked promising in the App Store, can I get everyone's opinion of which controller is the best? Sonos employees need not respond...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Downloaded sonopad several days ago, better than 5, not totally as good as 4.3, nice that it still supports ios5.1.1, bad that its not running on the iphone (I didn't load sonophone because its not supporting iOs 5.1.1), I wrote an email to the guy who is behind the two apps: he is not planning a mac app, but maybe all this in the forum let him think twice. Maybe kickstarter is something we could offer him to place his costs for programming???
At least sonopad was cheaper than the time I wasted with sonos v5 and my attempts to restore 4.3 .
Is there any other controller for the iphone beside sonophone?
Userlevel 5
Badge
For Android users there's Andronos in the Google Play store. It works for accessing locally (NAS) stored music and internet radio. I can't speak for online services as I don't use them. The interface is designed for a phone but works on a tablet, with small icons and sensible amounts of text. It's OK - certainly not butt-ugly like the UI-which-must-not-be-named. Not as convenient as v4.3 used to be on a tablet by a long way, but quite usable.

There was also the sonosweb project, but that needs a local web server to work. There's not been any development for a while and the Sonos API has changed in the meantime. So not all features currently work - most notably internet radio. There are multiple example interfaces available. I'm interested in trying to update this, which is why the Sonos API definition would be useful. But I'm afraid it's probably only of interest to hackers (in the GOOD sense of that word) with their own local web servers.
Userlevel 3
"UI-which-must-not-be-named", first time I had a smile in my face while reading in this forum....
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I like how the sonopad bullet points seem to address my every concern. I'm willing to pay someone else for their efforts if I like the results at this point.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Android users, if you haven't found it already I suggest you head over to the Google Play Store and get Andronos, which I mentioned above. It's designed for phones and so has separate screens for the play controls, zone controls, playlist and album browsing, but each of them works very nicely. You can view your albums with small icons and lots of text! See which zones are linked and what's playing on each of them. And it has themes, though I haven't changed from the default which I find very attractive. I've been using it for the past couple of days on my Nexus 10, and have been enjoying my music again! The full version is free, but I've just bought the (identical) paid version to say thanks to the developer.

It could be the basis of a brilliant controller on tablets as well, with three side-by-side panes (two in portrait) each containing the user's choice of the control screens. Having bought the app I've asked the developer if he will consider doing that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Joachim, I see on sonopad it says the newest version, v1.7 updated april 19, has a 'fresh ios7 look..' Question - Do the current pictures reflect the look of the new updated controller? Thanks!
Android users, if you haven't found it already I suggest you head over to the Google Play Store and get Andronos, which I mentioned above. It's designed for phones and so has separate screens for the play controls, zone controls, playlist and album browsing, but each of them works very nicely. You can view your albums with small icons and lots of text! See which zones are linked and what's playing on each of them. And it has themes, though I haven't changed from the default which I find very attractive. I've been using it for the past couple of days on my Nexus 10, and have been enjoying my music again! The full version is free, but I've just bought the (identical) paid version to say thanks to the developer.

It could be the basis of a brilliant controller on tablets as well, with three side-by-side panes (two in portrait) each containing the user's choice of the control screens. Having bought the app I've asked the developer if he will consider doing that.

I tried it too. It´s good on a small 7" tablet or a phone, but not on a 10" tablet. But if the tablet version will evolve in a 4.3-style, I will gladly pay for it.
I wonder if SONOS would dare to put up the 5.0 as a payed version with -try before you by-?

Now they act as the BORG:s in StarTrek.

-We are the SONOS
-You will be assimilated
-resistance is futile
Userlevel 5
Badge

I agree that it's not ideal on a 10" tablet. But I'm using on a Nexus 10 and I still massively prefer it to the official v5.0 app. Andronos doesn't hurt my eyes.
I like how the sonopad bullet points seem to address my every concern. I'm willing to pay someone else for their efforts if I like the results at this point.
Hi toolfool, 

I'm the author of SonoPad, Joachim pointed me to this thread.

I'd say - just try it out, nothing to lose here. There is also a video on YouTube which shows you the look and feel of the App. The video still shows the "old" look of the App, it has been polished a bit in the meantime to look more like an iOS7 App (removing button borders, creating a more 'flat' design - you can see it on the pictures posted by Joachim ) but all functions are still at the same place.

Should you not be pleased with the App, I'm happy to refund your purchase (please contact me at support@sonopad.com) 

Right now my roadmap for the App is as follows:
- support of iOS6 for SonoPhone (almost finished)
- support for Google Play music
- support for alarm + sleep timer.

As Joachim pointed out, I'm a "one-man-show", mainly developing the App in my free time. This comes at the cost, that (much like Sonos) I won't be able to fulfil every wish I get for the App obviously and that I can just do one feature after the other.

As I don't want to use Sonos' support channels to discuss my App please ask any specific question via email: support@sonopad.com. I'm typically answering around 22-23pm CET (wife + kids are sleeping then - some spare time 😉 )

Cheers
Stefan
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Thanks for joining in Stefan, I appreciate the info! I must admit, I CANT STAND the new 'flat' look of iOS 7, but your app looks still 100 times better than the new Sonos app. I visited your website and have watched the YouTube videos already, and it looks like your app addresses a LOT of the current problems we are experiencing. Not only that, but you have already displayed good customer service! I guess with a guarantee I have no reason to not try it out. Thanks for taking the time to post here. With all the displeasure from Sonos, your app may become the new go-to!
Userlevel 3
@ Stefan : is there a way to read and save the firmware of the zone players, connects or docks?
Not that I am aware of, as Sonos' API is undocumented.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
SonoPad is only $4.99
That price makes it welcoming to at least try it out. if i don't like, i will let the developer keep the money as a small donation or thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge

The android andronos download page is infested with malware. I guess the app is dead? Are there any other apps out there for android?