Bluesound a new Sonos with 24-bit

• 28 February 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi I have just read about a new wireless sound system with hires. Has anybody heard about it ?
www.bluesound.com from Canada.
It sounds like a big competitor for Sonos, and they have a disksystem that can rip your music.

/Legul

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Looks like the first really good Sonos rip-off!
Userlevel 1
Bit odd that the Swedish Hifiklubben distributor doesn't list on their website.

Be good to see their prices, looks like they just use a Network share, same as Sonos, so if the Vault is also a player (as it appears to have audio outputs as well as being storage) it could conceivably serve Sonos as well, and play the 24-bit files itself (although it wouldn't exactly be a smooth operation switching from one to the other I guess).
Userlevel 2
Know anything about pricing and availability?

Manuals for the products are here.
Userlevel 3
Badge
HI-FI klubben i sweden have prices:

a NOD costs 3698 SKR
and a Sonos S5 costs 3498 SKR

a POWERNODE costs 5798 SKR
and a Sonos connect AMP costs 4298 SKR

so its a little more expensive.
Userlevel 1
That puts the Powernode at roughly Simple Audio prices. Any ideas how much the Vault is?

Where did you find the prices? I couldn't find it on their website.
Competition=good!
Some interesting music features which should give Sonos cause to reflect.

However, it does use WiFi so imposes a hub/spoke architecture. There may be some wireless diagnostics in the client players but they don't control the Access Point.

Also there appear to be some significant limitations/restrictions with grouping: http://www.bluesound.com/support/faq "GROUPING AND OTHER PLAYBACK ISSUES"
Userlevel 3
Badge
That puts the Powernode at roughly Simple Audio prices. Any ideas how much the Vault is?

Where did you find the prices? I couldn't find it on their website.

The Vault cost 7998 SKR

and its on the web site www.hifiklubben.se
Competition=good!

I agree!

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 1
The Vault cost 7998 SKR

About 800 quid, I guess given that it's a player as well (like a Connect with built in storage) that's not a bad price, compared to something like AVA's offering (and the Vault is much better looking).

and its on the web site www.hifiklubben.se

Yes, I worked that much out for myself! 😛 Found it now though.
Userlevel 2
I had the Sonos Connect unit and really liked it but I had a small library of hi res music that I wasn't able to listen to. So I gave the Bluesound Node a try and will probably keep it. They are $150.00 cdn more then the Connect and as far as I can tell won't do SiriusXM. If Sonos update to play hi res I don't think I'd hesitate to get another one becaused I like the unit
For anyone interested, Blusound is aparantly due on the 11th March in the UK.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/bluesound-nodehi-res-wireless-streaming-music-player
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has bought any of these components !
Userlevel 1
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has bought any of these components !

Maybe you should hang out on their forum then?