Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Hi everyone,
I've been a Sonos user since 2008 and currently own:
2x Play:5
1x Play:3
1x PlayBar
1x BRIDGE
I've also owned connects etc., which I retired as I didn't need them any more.

My typical use for Sonos is to listen to music - what a surprise. I utilize Deezer and a few internet stations. I usually select one of the following options:
- a certain artist (an album) and then whilst listening add other ones to the queue
- my Deezer favorites and let Deezer do the work
- use Deezer to provide random music
- use a radio station and let it play

Of course I use my PlayBar to watch TV, at which point I don't use the controller at all since it works flawlessly and without intervention other than the TV remote.

I own an Echo dot and tried it at the beginning and don't find any use for it, noting that I don't have any home automation installed - so it is now sitting unused.

The only place where I currently see use for voice control is inside the car. I use it every day.

At home, I really don't see how it would make it easier for me to listen to music - I can use the controller app and my wife does too (which is a big thing as she isn't into tech).

I also have my doubt that any voice control would work properly when music is playing at elevated levels or when others are having a conversation at the same time.

I've been reading all those excited posts about the echo and the new home pod.

What am I missing? ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

I'm not sure where the integration line should be drawn between the two. They are different ecosystems but when used in the same room it could get awkward if you are listening to music on a Sonos speaker and that speaker had no awareness that you were speaking to the Echo device, regardless if it is to change the music on Sonos or respond to an incoming Alexa voice call or whatever. Hopefully the beta will go into detail in testing how Sonos centric and Alexa centric activities happening in the same room will work together rather than conflict with each other.