Best Songs for SUB and Stereo Imaging?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
  • Prodigy III
  • 395 replies
Hi Everyone!

I have SUB configured with two PLAY:1's in a stereo pair and was wondering what everyones favourite songs are that you think really brings out the best of SUB and the wonderful stereo imaging that the PLAY:1's provide!

I'd be keen to hear any kind of music and really want to bring out the most of my system with a wide variety of tracks!

Thanks in advanced!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Let me add Partition by Beyonce to the mix. Give the song 15 seconds (after she says hey Mrs. Carter) and your speakers will explode. Every SONOS speaker sounds ridiculous with his song.
Well, I still don't have a Sub, but what about Sympathy from Steve Rowland & Family Dog for some serious bass? Sounds pretty low on my Stereo Gen 1 Play 5s already. Hmmm, Iron Sky from Paolo Nutini wouldn't be that bad either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Well, I still don't have a Sub, but what about Sympathy from Steve Rowland & Family Dog for some serious bass? Sounds pretty low on my Stereo Gen 1 Play 5s already. Hmmm, Iron Sky from Paolo Nutini wouldn't be that bad either.

Nice suggestions Hermie. I've enjoyed what Paolo Nutini I've heard.
Userlevel 2
Let me add 'Unfinished Sypathy' by Massive Attack. At the start of the song your SUB will blow you away!!
From Caroline Lavelle's album "Spirit", try the tracks 'Waiting for rain', and 'Lagan Love' (hang on to your hat from 2:15).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Let me add 'Unfinished Sypathy' by Massive Attack. At the start of the song your SUB will blow you away!!

I'm a big fan of testing with Massive Attack.

Another fun one is Glitch Mob - Carry the Sun or Fortune Days.

I haven't tried out those Pierre, I'll have to give it a shot later.
A good test is

The weeknd - The hills

Turn it up and your sub gets a good test at the 40 second mark.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Everyone go listen to Flume's new album Skin, all tracks great on bass.

Definitely listen to Tiny Cities (feat. Beck) make sure your speakers/sub are up and don't give up during the long build up after the verse, trust me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
My bass shortlist for Skin would be: Lose it, 3, When Everything Was New, Take a chance (2min10 on), Like Water and Tiny Cities.
For jazz lovers, two legends that seem to have been around forever - Houston Person and Ron Carter - have just released a new album, Chemistry. Every track has enough content for the Sub from Carter's double bass playing, while the album itself is very well recorded from a stereo imaging and sound quality POV. Laid back music, but far from elevator style. Best heard late at night over a drink or three.
@Josh D nice tracks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Flo rida - Roots
THE best track I've found to really test the SUB (and structure of my house!) is La Roux - in for the kill (let's get ravey remix).
Please try it!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jplo3kpNc

I always love the way the drums go from side to side on Bjork Hunter, bass is brilliant too! Enjoy!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I haven't seen these two mentioned:
On My Level feat. Too $hort by Wiz Khalifa
Bad and Boujee (feat Lil Uzi Vert) by Migos

"On My Level" hits hard in my car but I think the bass messes with the treble and garbles his voice. On my Play:5 gen 2 and Sub, it's very clean and absolute bass.
The Knife
Genesis Live

Insane range and dynamic range
This is a great thread. I've had some fun comparing some of these suggestions with my Play5s (2nd Gen) and Sub. Thanks for everyone input. But the ultimate track for me is one my son recommended. Not exactly my kind of music, but its growing on me (I love it for showing off my setup 🙂. Try: Infected Mushroom - Demons of Pain Remix. And give the volume a push. Its mind-blowing with my setup. Now addicted to Sonos 🙂
Userlevel 3
spotify:user:1265128152:playlist:37gbHb3lpCNkslL2snrA3H
Userlevel 3

Badge +1
"Hold me by the waist" by George Maple, turn it up at 1:23 and then you know you have a SUB. Also check out HERO by George Maple, awesome song when played loud!
Great suggestions! I’d like to also suggest the following:

Hey Now (by London Grammar)
Toccata (by Mannheim Steamroller / album: Fresh Aire III) - This one is a bit old school, but worth it, especially if you have the sub.
Unfinished Sympathy (by Massive Attack)
Angel (by Massive Attack)
A Milli (by Lil Wayne)
The National Anthem (by Radiohead)
Act Like You Know (by Fat Larry’s Band)
GoGo Penguin (by Raven)
Time (by Hans Zimmer)
YYZ - Live in Canada /1980 (by Rush)
Under The Influence by The Chemical Brothers
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
For Sub and also nice on Play:5: A$AP Rocky - L$D