Anyone see this!!?

• 24 December 2005
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 2
http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/24/sonos-zoneplayer-zp80-leaked/#comments

48 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I wonder if and when they will acknowledge or confirm it exists.
Userlevel 2
Well, CES is right around the corner...
Well, CES is right around the corner...
Anyone have any info on if sonos will be at CES and where they will be located?
http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/directory/rd_exhibitor_details.asp?exhibid=7480&src=brand
Userlevel 2
So... is this the ampless one? or digital? or both?
Badge +1
I was truly hoping for an "IR OUT" to control an external amp's volume via the Sonos controller ... maybe even turn the amp on and switch to the right input ...

AndyN
IR Out is certainly on my list, but prior threads have not generated a lot of enthusiasm for it. I'd love to see it soon, but I'd expect that we are looking at 2nd generation at the earliest.

This "ZP80" is just the previous model without the amp, with fewer network ports (limited by space), and optical out. As such, it's a minor reengineering and not truly a new product.

Provided that this is not a hoax, I regard this as Sonos listening to us and giving us what we ask for. The packaging is certainly small enough! It remains to be seen whether the packaging negatively affects wireless performance. It also remains to be seen if the price will be significantly lower than the ZP100. I'm betting it will not be and hoping I am wrong.
Userlevel 2
Excellent.

I'll bet the ZP80 is 80/100ths of the ZP100 price ¦¦-)
Userlevel 2
I'm with ya - will be ordering ASAP 😃
Userlevel 2
Having ordered and just received 4 zone players and 4 controllers, I am questioning whether to send the goods back to Sonos while under the 30 day return program. I don't know how word got out, but it seems that if new product(s) are on the way - it would be nice for Sonos to acknowledge and comment. On one hand, may and probably would affect sales. On the flip side, will make for some unhappy individuals who just ordered products only to find ?newer? ?updated? products released.
Userlevel 2
Bruce,

It will affect sales. I'm more than ever going to go with Sonos rather than the alternatives.
Userlevel 2
Having ordered and just received 4 zone players and 4 controllers, I am questioning whether to send the goods back to Sonos while under the 30 day return program. I don't know how word got out, but it seems that if new product(s) are on the way - it would be nice for Sonos to acknowledge and comment. On one hand, may and probably would affect sales. On the flip side, will make for some unhappy individuals who just ordered products only to find ?newer? ?updated? products released.

Bruce,

You have the full 30 day money back guarantee option to take advantage of. Also I am sure if anything is going to get released from Sonos in the near future, it will be at CES which is well within your 30 day money back period. So I would just hang tight and wait till then and enjoy your new Sonos system. Also You may not even want this new model depending on your application, or you may want to only return some of the hardware in place of the new model being released.
Userlevel 2
I've spoken with Sonos today and it appears that anything coming out will "compliment" the current components - not replace them. Still wonder about digital? I guess CES will keep us up-to-date.
Userlevel 2
Bruce,

Seeing as nobody at Sonos is denying it then it must just be a matter of when its officially announced though I'd not be surprised if there's a considerable delay between announcement and availability?
Userlevel 2
A little poking around on the Sonos site uncovers many pictures of the new ZP80.

It has no amp, a digital out, and looks to be tiny!

EDIT: I've removed the pictures, but they're very easy to find on the website.
No Sub-Woofer out. Is that going to be an issue?

UR
Userlevel 2
Badge
dbj1000,
I didn't find the pictures you referred to on the Sonos site. Any hints or links?
Userlevel 2
dbj1000,
I didn't find the pics anywhere on the website either.
Not only found pictures, but also a product page listing specs and even the price. Doesn't look like it will be shipping immediately though according to the page.

I'm not going to post the URL out of courtesy to Sonos, but I found it by looking at a page for an existing similar product and changing the URL from there. Really wasn't hard. It was the very first thing I tried.

Looks like it will fill the gap that many have been looking for. Definitely will be on my suck-up-to-the-wife list.
Userlevel 2
Sonos is well aware that the users of this forum are well informed of the ZP80.

So now that you've proved to the forum your cleverness, and have earned your bragging rights. How about not being coy and sharing the link?

The rest of us would appreciate it greatly.:)
Userlevel 2
Sonos is well aware that the users of this forum are well informed of the ZP80.

So now that you've proved to the forum your cleverness, and have earned your bragging rights. How about not being coy and sharing the link?

The rest of us would appreciate it greatly.:)

Agreed. I am not sure how leaving a little trail of breadcrumbs = better for Sonos.
Jeez. Not trying to impress anyone with cleverness here, just trying to give some hints without getting kicked out for posting information that I'm sure Sonos would rather not have posted yet.

You can argue that Sonos is aware of the leaks about the upcoming product, but if they had intended on announcing the product they would have already done so. Often times though companies get caught having the info on there public servers as they're preparing for the launch. I'd bet that the pages get removed as soon as they're aware that people have stumbled upon it.

Until that point, try using the existing product pages and your knowledge of the model number and you should be able to find the info. I wouldn't expect to find out a ton of info that hasn't already been leaked (outside of pricing and a vague timeframe for availability). There are a few tidbits that confirm what I've already gleaned from posts by Sonos staff. For example, there is a thread about WEP security in which someone from Sonos has indicated that they're planning on upgrading to AES encrytpion. The ZP80 product page seems to verify this information. This suggests to me that a software upgrade is due out soon to enable this feature (and probably others) but there is no specifics about when that might happen.
Userlevel 2
There is buzz all over the Internet about this. Just Google for ZP80+Sonos and you'll get links from all over the world. And it is right on the Sonos website ever so lightly veiled at: http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayer/zp80/

By the way, I plan to buy one of these as soon as possible to replace the unit connected to my PC and fed back into my sound card for a PC zone. Then I can use the ZP100 currently being partially wasted in that role, and put a zone in my dining room.
3 ZP100's, 2 controllers, and 1 ZP80 ASAP!
Userlevel 2
If the link to the product page were simply shared with the forum, then we would see the specs and be satisfied and would probably be even more excited that SONOS is listening to their customer base and would start budgeting for this new product.

I really don't think this is a national security issue.

Sonos will not sell the product until they are ready no matter who knows about it. Having their interested community being informed of a great upcoming release only whets our appitite without doing anyone any harm.
Userlevel 2
Looks like the page has gone now.

I would like to know what kind of pricing was talked about? I don't need any secret details, just is it going to be cheaper than a ZP100 and if so what sort of percentage difference?

I want to get another ZP but like others I have a ZP100 feeding a cinema system so could replace it with a ZP80 and use the existing ZP100 to better effect somewhere else.