Answered

Amazon Echo integration w/ third party app

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
After previously posting about a streaming solution to enable Amazon Alexa voice control for my Sonos speakers I've discovered a much simpler solution that works.

It requires a Mac, an Echo and an App!

It literally takes two minutes to setup and you can play any Amazon Echo compatible music source to your Sonos speakers using your voice.

Hope this helps others wanting to control their Sonos speakers with their Amazon Echo 🙂
icon

Best answer by Andy B 3 August 2017, 22:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Badge +20
This is promotional SPAM.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It's actually a fully working solution for anyone who owns a Mac and a Sonos system that only costs $59 for the Nicecast app ( of which I receive nothing ).

What am I promoting?, I don't sell anything on my website relating to this solution and don't have any links to either Apple, Sonos, Amazon or Rogue Amoeba, I'm merely a geek who's found a solution that others can benefit from.

If it isn't useful to you then that's fine.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I've now linked the Echo dot to my Mac Mini's audio input using a Bluetooth Audio Receiver, I had an old iSkin Cerulean lying around and to my surprise, the sound quality is still very good.

This means that I can have my Echo Dot in the Dining room, where my Sono's Play 1's are located, but still use voice control by sending the audio via Bluetooth to my Mac, then to a network stream using Nicecast, and play through my Sonos system using a TuneIn Radio Station I've created that is actually the network stream of the Echo Dot.
It's actually a fully working solution for anyone who owns a Mac and a Sonos system that only costs $59 for the Nicecast app ( of which I receive nothing ).

Is it because I've linked to my blog that you accuse me of writing a spam post?

What am I promoting?, I don't sell anything on my website relating to this solution and don't have any links to either Apple, Sonos, Amazon or Rogue Amoeba, I'm merely a geek who's found a solution that others can benefit from.

If it isn't useful to you then that's fine.

Community Code of Conduct

- Keep it spam-free. The Sonos Community is provided as a service to Sonos customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations. Please refrain from posting content that would constitute advertising, junk mail, spam, chain letters, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation.

You have linked to a commercial site advertising a $59 product. That is Spam.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ok, so I can create a post telling all the other Sonos users that it's possible to control their Sonos speakers with an Amazon Echo Dot, but I can't tell them how, or link to my website that does?

So should I just delete any link or reference to any third party service, products, websites or organisations?

Is it then possible to just ask people to message me with the solution if they're interested?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Haha, witty!

Obviously I'd love to trawl through all of the posts from people requesting Amazon Echo integration and Bluetooth input for their Sonos speakers telling them that it is, in fact, possible, for a reasonable price, and practically no technical knowledge to achieve just that, but then inform them that I can't tell them how it's possible here on the community forum.

What a fantastic community spirit!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Will I risk upsetting anyone if I continue to reply to posts telling other users that I know of solutions to their requests but not actually telling them how?
Looks like a Rube Goldberg "solution" to me. Sonos is successful because of its elegant simplicity. People never seem to realize just how important "it just works" simplicity is to the success of a product line. Have a look at the LMS/Squeezebox disaster for a reminder.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey All,

I want to jump in to let you know that I've gone through and made a few edits to comments, deleted a couple posts, and changed the title of this thread. As this is industry related, I've gone ahead and moved the thread to the Music, culture, and the industry section.

Although this may be in a bit of a gray area, we're going to keep the post. The intent here is not to sell a third party app, just that there is one that can be used if one so wishes to make the purchase. We encourage our users to speculate and discuss options such the Nicecast app, but we do request the app not be spammed in other threads or pressuring others into purchasing the app.

We're always happy to take a look at a post that may be in question, so if at anytime you believe a post is breaching our community code, flag it, and one of us will take a look.