Amazon Echo

• 19 January 2017
  • 31 replies

Over One Year

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
They are working on it, no other manufacturer has released an Amazon integrated product so they can't be accused of being behind yet. Not sure what you are getting at?
They got a late start which the outgoing CEO admitted. Now they are playing catch-up. He had to re-align his workforce (lay-off and then hire). They also had to get through the busy holiday season where they released the Spotify connect update 7.0. But, Google changed the landscape and multiroom speakers with googlecast built in are showing up. It's a race for market share as the multiroom market blows up. There is no way Sonos doesn't feel that. I wonder if they have enough cash on-hand to keep pace?

Their new CEO says they have to move faster but some here jump on a customer who says the same thing. Way to rationalize your Sonos purchase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Check
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes, the new CEO said no more funding rounds were required. Holiday season sales were up 20% YoY.
I think the figure was that Sonos was in 20% more homes yoy after the holiday season. They are going after market share. That Play1 is a door-opener. A lot of folks, like me, also picked up an Alexa device. In fact the Dot was the most frequent Amazon gift and Alexa products were up 900% yoy. Yea, that is the train to hop on. If Sonos can get that Alexa update out soon, the millions of folks who purchased or got a Dot as a gift will quickly pick up the Play 1 to listen to music since the Dot speaker is really basic. And once you have one Sonos product in your house, it won't be long until you are hooked.
Yes, the new CEO said no more funding rounds were required. Holiday season sales were up 20% YoY.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
They got a late start which the outgoing CEO admitted. Now they are playing catch-up. He had to re-align his workforce (lay-off and then hire). They also had to get through the busy holiday season where they released the Spotify connect update 7.0. But, Google changed the landscape and multiroom speakers with googlecast built in are showing up. It's a race for market share as the multiroom market blows up. There is no way Sonos doesn't feel that. I wonder if they have enough cash on-hand to keep pace?
Don't bother chicks. Little Logan's on his way to getting banned again anyway.
And it doesn't happen in 4 months.
Apparently not since it has been almost 5 months.

Anyone who has ever worked on a large software development project knows that 5 months MIGHT get you into preliminary testing stages, if everything has gone exactly per plan.... which never happens in the real world.

With two companies involved, with different priorities, double the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have no idea what they are doing other then what we all know that Amazon and Sonos are jointly developIng Sonos ability to be completely controlled by Alexa.
And it doesn't happen in 4 months.
Apparently not since it has been almost 5 months. They are working on making Echo Speakers Sonos zones?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly. And multiroom bragging rights is a big stake for Amazon. I personally think a team up with Sonos is what is needed to compete with the likes of Google and what they are doing with Google chromecast audio.

Bringing Sonos speakers to market as Alexa speakers gives Amazon a major leg up if they can some how link Sonos and echo zones and make echo zones Sonos zones. Challenging yes and maybe too technically impossible. And it doesn't happen in 4 months.
I think multiroom music is a big threat from Google for Amazon as well since Google home can do it. Amazon is in a bigger race right now then Sonos.

Maybe. I think the AI race (which one is better or perceived to be better) is the one Amazon and google are probably most concerned about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think multiroom music is a big threat from Google for Amazon as well since Google home can do it. Amazon is in a bigger race right now then Sonos.
Just being realistic. Should Sonos have not mentioned it until it was closer to fruition like they normally do? Many complain about that. Amazon itself also said notificTions are coming to Alexa in same time period. Haven't seen those yet. So amazon moves too slow as well by your definition. Yet then Amazon has no part of Sonos integration ... yea right. They are working on together and it is a major change for Sonos and amazon. If you see the video on what they are planning there is nothing in Sonos or Alexa today that makes it capable. So they have a lot of work to do. I would rather see it mid year this year and done right then some half baked version their programmers rushed out to hit some arbitrary early 2017 deadline demanded by users with no knowledge of the process.

Good points. But I personally give Amazon the pass since none of this seems to be a threat to their future vuabillity, where as not sure the same can be said about Sonos. As a Sonos owner im confident they will get it right, but there is no harm in being impatient other than I guess it affects the Sonos defenders the wrong way
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just being realistic. Should Sonos have not mentioned it until it was closer to fruition like they normally do? Many complain about that. Amazon itself also said notificTions are coming to Alexa in same time period. Haven't seen those yet. So amazon moves too slow as well by your definition. Yet then Amazon has no part of Sonos integration ... yea right. They are working on together and it is a major change for Sonos and amazon. If you see the video on what they are planning there is nothing in Sonos or Alexa today that makes it capable. So they have a lot of work to do. I would rather see it mid year this year and done right then some half baked version their programmers rushed out to hit some arbitrary early 2017 deadline demanded by users with no knowledge of the process.
This echo thing I can't say they are moving slow as it's a major change and also is on amazons timetable. .

It doesnt really matter, but you let Sonos off the hook by making statements like this. We dont actually know why it is taking so long. Maybe it is Sonos usual glaciel development speed and not due to Amazon. IMO given Sonos historical speed this is most likely imo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will agree Sonos moves at a snails pace when it comes to changes. This echo thing I can't say they are moving slow as it's a major change and also is on amazons timetable. But when you talk about more easily accomplished things like part mode, permanent groups etc that could be implemented more straightforward. Sonos fails to deliver. I know a lot of it is their directive that they want the experience to be the same in every home. But today's market dictates customization and hopefully the new CEO changes that policy more to innovation and customization vs standardization.
I agree that Sonos could move faster; this is a point made by the incoming CEO in his first interview, so I expect things to change on this front.

THis is something that seems to have escaped the other posters. I agree with your other points too, especially your last sentence. I don't think this is an either/or thing though, I have confidence that they can do both.
OP has a point. Sonos needs to move faster (IMO).

Hmmm. So Bose, Bluesound, Denon, Polk, LG, Samsung, etc. all have voice control on their multiroom systems now?

Dafuq you talking about. If you want to talk about Bose or those other 2nd rate systemsgo to their forums, this is SONOS. The best of the best (slightly behind google).
I agree that Sonos could move faster; this is a point made by the incoming CEO in his first interview, so I expect things to change on this front.
The thing to remember is faster moves cannot be made at the cost of losing the Sonos USPs of backward compatibility, high up time in multi zone wireless mode, and excellent sound quality, and that has to come at the cost of some speed, I guess. I can't see anyone wanting those USPs to be diluted at all.

Hmmm. So Bose, Bluesound, Denon, Polk, LG, Samsung, etc. all have voice control on their multiroom systems now?
Every time Sonos does something new, there's at least one whiner who comes in and complains about it being too late because it wasn't done yesterday, and then claim they are tossing their Sonos to the street (which they never do). Fact is, the only voice control multi-room music system that beat Sonos to market is Google, and they made their own. The OP is talking nonsense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
...moving on from sarcasm. The level of integration Sonos is talking about with Alexa requires complete integration with Alexa. The timeframe to roll out is just as much dependent on the big guy amazon development as Sonos. They are doing it together. This isn't some slapped on halfway Alexa skill as others do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Alexa doesn't control my refrigerator a year after I heard of echo either. I'm going back to using ice.