Alexa Siri integration video request

• 14 September 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
I don’t have a Sonos One yet. I would love for someone to post a video on say YouTube demonstrating starting a song from Apple Music through AirPlay 2 or Siri from an Apple device and then controlling it with Alexa voice commands to skip, pause, resume, the track and ask Alexa what is playing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +2
Oh that’s brilliant Keith. I am definitely getting the Sonos One for Christmas- perhaps on Black Friday here in the UK. Sorry if I went on a bit from your previous response. I just listened to a podcast from The Verge and thought I would use this community to ask for a bit more information as I am yet to buy something from Sonos. Thanks again Dean
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, deano1x. Thanks for following up and apologies for missing this. After further testing, it seems that so long as Sonos has the metadata from the source (be it a title of a YouTube video or album name from Spotify) Alexa will be able to see that and give the correct response.
Badge +2
It took me a while but I think I understand what Keith N’s reply to my initial discussion means now. I don’t own a Sonos One yet. I think what he is saying is if you start a song with Siri from Apple Music - Alexa doesn’t tell you what is playing. But if you playback music using AirPlay 2 sent manually which can be observed onscreen from an iOS device then Alexa has the metadata to tell you what is playing.
Badge +2
At the specific part of 31:39 of episode 310 15th June 2018 Vergecast from the Verge podcast ‘continuity’ is mentioned where you start the music on Siri with AirPlay and then Alexa will be able to tell you what is playing with voice services working together.
Badge +2
I would also add the Sonos CEO said in an interview with The Verge that a song could be started on Siri but then Alexa would know exactly what was played and tell you. Also Sonos UK support confirmed this would work with Beats 1 Radio.
Badge +2
Oh! What happens if you request a song using Siri on an Apple device by saying something like “Play some Drake on Sonos One” so it knows where to send the audio and see if Alexa can identify the track this way. I think in order for this to work you have to have the Sonos One added as a HomeKit accessory in the Apple Home app under the speakers heading.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, deano1x. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. When initiating audio playback via AirPlay, Alexa is unable to see the content playing and cannot give the correct answer. In fact, when I tested this in the Lab, Alexa said "That was, (so and so)" even with nothing in the queue. This leads me to believe that the content being reported by Alexa is the last audio started by Alexa.