Question

Wall mounting Beam on dot and dab taylor wimpey wall

• 20 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all

DIY is not my thing, so might just get a handyman. But before I do, just wondered if anyone knew which fixing method I should use for dot and dab wall on a new build Taylor Wimpey home. It’s dot and dab and/or metal studs. 

Some YouTube vids suggest treating dab sections as solid wall and non dab sections as hollow. Does this mean I should or shouldn’t use the anchors provided in the wall mount kit?

help appreciated 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @badobsession81.

Thanks for your immediate response.

I totally agree that we need to be sure with the classification of the wall material, to identify what kind of anchor can handle the mount.

I tried to do some research and I find it confusing that in some situations you need to treat dot and dab like a hollow wall and in some situations you need to treat it like a solid wall.

It might be indeed a good idea of getting someone else’s help on this first before doing it, for safety purposes as well.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Badge

Hi @badobsession81.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

You can refer to this wall mounting information to identify if you will need to use the provided anchors based on your wall material.

Wall Material

Pre Drill

Use Wall Anchors

Use Screws

Wood Stud

1/8" / 3 mm bit

No

Yes

Drywall (no stud)

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Hard wallboard or double board

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Plaster

5/16" / 8 mm bit

No, requires toggle bolt

Yes

Concrete or Brick

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Additional details and specifications can be found on this link, Wall Mount product manual.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Thanks for this - this is what I’ve got in the manual but it left me confused as I wasn’t sure which wall material my dot and dab walls came under. Pretty sure they’re plasterboard with a gap (where there isn’t a dab) and then our blockwork external wall that joins our garage. Didn’t know whether to class this as plasterboard, drywall, or something else. The only studs used throughout are metal studs. It’s mainly dot and dab throughout.  Think I’ll just get someone else to do it rather than chance it! 😆 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @badobsession81.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

You can refer to this wall mounting information to identify if you will need to use the provided anchors based on your wall material.

Wall Material

Pre Drill

Use Wall Anchors

Use Screws

Wood Stud

1/8" / 3 mm bit

No

Yes

Drywall (no stud)

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Hard wallboard or double board

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Plaster

5/16" / 8 mm bit

No, requires toggle bolt

Yes

Concrete or Brick

5/16" / 8 mm bit

Yes

Yes

Additional details and specifications can be found on this link, Wall Mount product manual.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.