Answered

sonos arc with Sonos amp more than 40 feet apart

• 23 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello, it is my understanding that this Sonos arc can be hardwired along with a Sonos amp, and then ceiling speakers for the rear. As long as everything is hardwired, is there an issue? I know if the arc and amp or wireless they have to be within 20 feet of each other? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 January 2023, 11:52

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the Sub is close enough to connect to the Arc, no.

Hello, i have the same situation, and my Amp must be in another room (1 floor directly under the Arc).  If amp and Arc must both be wired, must the Sub(GEN 3) for the Arc also be wired? 

thanks!

Yes, thank you. Tech Support told me that a data hard wire connection to the arc and the amp would not make a difference. I have now actually tested my system by putting the amp 60 feet away and it did fail. Once I connect a data/hard wire to both. Everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joecable1 

Yes, if the Arc and Amp are too far apart for a reliable, direct 5GHz connection between the two, you will need to connect both to the network (not to each other) with ethernet cables for a Surround Sound setup to work.

As a side note, if the Arc is wireless, so must be the Amp. If the Arc is wired, however, the Amp doesn’t have to be - only if out of range.

The same applies if the device connected to the TV is a Beam, Amp, Playbase, Playbar or Ray.

I hope this helps.

It’s a variable. The Amp connects, generally speaking, to the sound bar (Arc in your case)  using a 5Ghz hidden Wi-Fi channel. If there is no interference, or blocking of that Wi-Fi signal, it should be fine. However, if it is hidden away in a closet, surrounded by metal, wood, drywall, what have you, there is a greater chance of signal blockage, commonly called wifi interference.

You can follow the instructions in the setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers FAQ, if concerned. 

I’m not sure I understand what a ‘true surround’ from their comments is. 

Tech Support, I was setting up an arc amp situation where the amp was 40 to 50 feet away. Tech Support mentioned that he wouldn’t get a true surround or something like that. And it was a very busy day. I didn’t have time to get into it with tech-support guy at the time so I let it go. Now I’m asking a question before I set up another house like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With two Amps you can wire both to Ethernet or just the front. You can’t wire just the surround amp. I don’t see that limitation mentioned for an Arc / Amp setup though.

Where did you find that 20 foot limit?