Sonos Arc power cord is loose

• 18 December 2020
  • 45 replies

Show first post

45 replies

Badge

Thanks for response Bruce, my power lead came and it’s a better fit than the original so problem solved

Badge

I have the same issue, Sonos have promised to send a new cable but after calling to chase up still has not arrived - having said that based on the last post sounds like it won't make a difference!

Prior to finding this issue I had been linked to a thread regarding intermittent sound, now I realise why it was intermittent ie due to the power cable connection.

You have to keep pressing it in then lightly take your fingers away, then stay well clear as the lightest disturbance causes it to pop out.

New cord received, better fit and no further issues 

Update: 

I took the Arc off its wall mount and got the power cord end all the way in,

so it now looks like the photo above and it is now snug.

Note to all: It must be perfectly flush. It’s all or nothing!

Thanks for the photo!

Hi,

My brand new Arc is driving me nuts because any time someone touches the TV console the power cord gets shaken loose and the speaker setup stops working!!

Has anyone else had this issue? Can you please suggest how I can get the cord replaced as it must be covered under warranty?

I had the same problem with my Arc, push hard the power cable and it will click.  You wont need a new power cable

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe (I didn’t go look) Sonos needs a better picture and instructions in the install manual?

If it solves nothing else it will at least let tech support say “It is in the manual.”

I had to return my Arc. When I did, the young lady who processed said she knew when she saw us walk in that this was the issue. She said it is one of their most returned products because of the loose power cord. It would not even stay in long enough for us to even connect it. What a disappointment.  We ended up not re ordering until we get confirmation that Sonos is fixing the issue. Best Buy agreed and said they really should be issuing a recall.  It has been a year and they have to yet to fix it and keep selling a defective product so I am not hopeful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A very light touch of dry silicone lube -- powder not grease -- can help it slip in.

That works for any Sonos speaker with a tight cord.

my plug is inside the hole as in the picture above but still nothing.  The center “hey sonos” light comes on orange or white for a second, then goes off.  The power light never comes on. Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

“Center Hey Sonos” light? Isn’t the center light the power light?

If it comes on when booting and then goes off is there any possibility you set your Sonos to turn the LED off after booting?

I am having the same problem with the Arc power connection. The problem is NOT the cord being pushed fully home. The flange on the power cord is flush with the Arc housing and it still falls out with no pressure. I spoke to Sonos and sent them a video of the problem and their response was that they would send a new power cable. I tried to get assurance that this was a different design of power cable, but never got a definitive answer. If they send the same design, it will not work, the problem is clearly with the Arc unit. They just repeated that with power cable issues, their protocol is to replace the cable first and see if that fixes the issue, before moving onto the Soundbar itself.

They told me I would get an email confirmation within 24-48 hours. I waited over a week before I called them back. They were apologetic that nothing had happened in that time and agreed to increase the priority of my issue and I would get an email confirmation within 24 hours. We are now past two days with no email.

This is very unimpressive build quality and support for an expensive Soundbar.

I am having the same problem with the Arc power connection. The problem is NOT the cord being pushed fully home. The flange on the power cord is flush with the Arc housing and it still falls out with no pressure. I spoke to Sonos and sent them a video of the problem and their response was that they would send a new power cable. I tried to get assurance that this was a different design of power cable, but never got a definitive answer. If they send the same design, it will not work, the problem is clearly with the Arc unit. They just repeated that with power cable issues, their protocol is to replace the cable first and see if that fixes the issue, before moving onto the Soundbar itself.

They told me I would get an email confirmation within 24-48 hours. I waited over a week before I called them back. They were apologetic that nothing had happened in that time and agreed to increase the priority of my issue and I would get an email confirmation within 24 hours. We are now past two days with no email.

This is very unimpressive build quality and support for an expensive Soundbar.

I waited 10 days before I called them back. Another apology, another promise to increase priority of my issue and another promise of an email in 24-48 hours. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Now I’m really confused, looked at my ARC again as well as the Product Guide and I only see two LEDs, Status and Mike.

When the microphone light is on, voice control is on and your voice service is ready to respond.
When the light is off, voice control is off.

Displays the product's connection to WiFi, indicates when the volume is muted, and signals errors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If it is really hard to push a bit of DRY silicone lube on the outside of the plug can help.

Hello and thank you for your responses.

The cable is completely flush with the housing, the socket is simply too large to hold the cord in place.

I can probably use blu-tac or something to hold it in place but obviously having spent 800 pounds on it I would prefer for Sonos to replace what appears to be a faulty part!

Appreciate any further help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Contacting Sonos (directly) or your seller would prpobably help…...

I have the same issue and the Sonos tech support said it’s a “standard” cable,

so… I will have to suffer with it. The problem is that the power end of the cable is

made of hard, slick plastic, not softer rubber, so if you breathe on it, it falls out of

the socket. The Arc is a nice unit, but, give me a break and offer better power cords

that stay put. It’s made even worse, because the power socket is way up inside the unit

where it can’t be seen while mounted on the wall, so it’s nearly impossible to plug back

in without unmounting the unit. Unacceptable!

Is yours flush, like the picture above? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

According to European consumer laws, the seller is liable for the things he sells. So that would be my first port of call……..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If it isn’t flush try my suggestion (on page 1 here) to use a DRY silicon lube on the cord.

Just a light touch on the outside of the connector.

I was having kittens after spending so much money to find the cable kept disconnecting from my ARC. But thanks to this thread learnt that all I had to do was push really

hard on the plug to get it seated correctly. It is now rock solid.

The wide outer ring of the plug actually goes inside the plug hole on the ARC. It takes some real force to get it to click in, but once in, it then looks completely flush with the outside of the ARC body. 

Plug fitting to Sonos ARC

This is a terrible design flaw that Sonos is reticent to acknowledge,  I have had nothing but frustration trying to convey the issue to customer service,  they are in utter denial about the issue