Sonos Arc gives no sound with DTS Surround 1.0

• 30 November 2022
  • 21 replies

Badge

Sonos Arc gives no sound with DTS Surround 1.0

All other formats working fine, but I have a few high quality movies with mono DTS soundtracks, which just give silence. App says it’s receiving DTS Surround 1.0 but no sound from speaker.

Running Plex on NVidia Sheild, eArc connection.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What’s interesting is Sonos supports Dolby mono tracks but doesn’t seem to support DTS mono tracks.

But does it? I recall a recent report that DD 1.0 plays silence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does it work if you switch the audio-out on the Blu-ray player to PCM stereo?

@Pixaranimated Have you tried this?

Same issue here but with a DTS HD master track on Police academy blu-ray using sonos Beam gen 2 and Sony X90J.  There is no alternative English track on this disc like most others, the sonos app says it is in DTS 1.0 but not sound.  I understand the lack of support for DTS HD but you would expect it to be encoded to mono or something and actually produce some audio.  No audio whatsoever so I will be returning the blu-rays due to the rubbish codec support on Sonos.  I sure do hope DTSHD support is added soon considering most blu-ray discs have it or i’ll have to return my system too.

I would either try PCM stereo as that would be better than mono - or if the TV has HDMI-eARC, then swap the codec on the player to multichannel LPCM and see if that provides surround audio… note you may have to turn up the volume a bit with the LPCM codec, but it should work.🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue here but with a DTS HD master track on Police academy blu-ray using sonos Beam gen 2 and Sony X90J.  There is no alternative English track on this disc like most others, the sonos app says it is in DTS 1.0 but not sound.  I understand the lack of support for DTS HD but you would expect it to be encoded to mono or something and actually produce some audio.  No audio whatsoever so I will be returning the blu-rays due to the rubbish codec support on Sonos.  I sure do hope DTSHD support is added soon considering most blu-ray discs have it or i’ll have to return my system too.

Userlevel 7

What’s interesting is Sonos supports Dolby mono tracks but doesn’t seem to support DTS mono tracks.

Oh wow! Yes, it works! Thank you so much @Ken_Griffiths :D

...still weird that the Beam does Atmos, but not a silly little 1.0 track. ;)

As mentioned earlier, I’ve only ever seen Sonos say that their HT devices support DTS 5.1 and all the various Dolby Codecs. I know that they do not support DTS-X/HD audio and I’ve never seen them mention DTS 1.0 so maybe it’s not compatible, but the stereo PCM codec should almost always work as a fallback. Anyhow, at least you can enjoy the Blu-Ray Movie now without having to switch to the TV speakers.

Badge

Oh wow! Yes, it works! Thank you so much @Ken_Griffiths :D

...still weird that the Beam does Atmos, but not a silly little 1.0 track. ;)

Hello everyone,

Same issue here : the Sonos app recognizes the Surround DTS 1.0 audio track, but no sound.

This issue doesn’t seem to be resolved here, so here I am adding to the list of people having the same problem.

It’s the first time this happens since I bought the Beam (gen 2) a couple months ago.

I own a Toshiba 4K TV and a LG 4K blu-ray player. Trying to watch Righting Wrongs on blu-ray, but only the menu, the commentary track and the bonus features have sound.

Only way to have sound is to disconnect the Beam from the TV set and watching it with the sound coming from the TV internal speakers… so the problem is definitely coming from Sonos.

Regards.

Badge

Hello everyone,

Same issue here : the Sonos app recognizes the Surround DTS 1.0 audio track, but no sound.

This issue doesn’t seem to be resolved here, so here I am adding to the list of people having the same problem.

It’s the first time this happens since I bought the Beam (gen 2) a couple months ago.

I own a Toshiba 4K TV and a LG 4K blu-ray player. Trying to watch Righting Wrongs on blu-ray, but only the menu, the commentary track and the bonus features have sound.

Only way to have sound is to disconnect the Beam from the TV set and watching it with the sound coming from the TV internal speakers… so the problem is definitely coming from Sonos.

Regards.

@DBrowne, welcome to the Sonos Community!

While you’re running into the same issue, it’s likely caused by something else, as you don’t seem to have the same setup as bradslk does.

As suggested before, I’d recommend you submitting a diagnostics then reach out to our support team to troubleshoot.

Submitted a diagnostic and Support is insisting I log a support case with Sony to say it can pass through DTS Surround 1.0. Even though Sonos support acknowledge that the Beam is actually receiving a DTS Surround 1.0 Signal as shown by the Diagnostic. One of the other language tracks on the disk is in stereo (DTS Surround 2.0) and that works fine.

Onto Sony then :-(

It seems the Sony TV supports the pass-through of DTS 5.1 codec via optical and ARC/eARC, that information is shown on rtings.com, but what isn’t clear is if the TV/devices in the mix each support DTS 1.0 - I’ve never read anything to say that the TV, or indeed Sonos products, support that codec - it seems that it comes in both lossy and lossless formats from what I’ve read online and maybe there are some incompatibilities with the DTS 5.1 format supported. 🤷‍♂️

While you’re running into the same issue, it’s likely caused by something else, as you don’t seem to have the same setup as bradslk does.

As suggested before, I’d recommend you submitting a diagnostics then reach out to our support team to troubleshoot.

Submitted a diagnostic and Support is insisting I log a support case with Sony to say it can pass through DTS Surround 1.0. Even though Sonos support acknowledge that the Beam is actually receiving a DTS Surround 1.0 Signal as shown by the Diagnostic. One of the other language tracks on the disk is in stereo (DTS Surround 2.0) and that works fine.

Onto Sony then :-(

Badge

It’s lossy. The Shield is configured to get the list of supported formats from the Arc, and will convert if needed. If the format isn’t supported, then the Arc should say so, so teh Shield can manage the conversion.

I don’t want to have to reconfigure this to a manual setting and muck up all the other formats; nor do I see why I should have to. When I worked in support, and someone reported a bug, the first thing I did was try it myself.

Sorry I thought you were referring to the DTS 5.1 (lossy) audio codec .. maybe it’s something to do with compression and the audio source - so do you know if the source is a lossy or lossless format? I’m just thinking it perhaps may not be a supported audio format? 

I’ve only seen DTS 5.1 (lossy) mentioned as being supported by Sonos and obviously all the Dolby Digital lossy and lossless formats.

Have you perhaps tried outputting the audio as PCM instead from the Shield source device to see if that will work for you? 

Badge

I have no issue with any format other than DTS 1.0. 5.1 is just fine.

FWIW I’ve just tried DTS 5.1 Audio here from a Blu-Ray movie and it’s playing fine here to the Arc/Surrounds/Sub so it’s probably not a Sonos issue. My setup is..

PlayStation (Blu-Ray Disc) Bitstream —> LG C9 TV (eARC/Passthrough) —> Sonos Arc. Screenshot attached.

Badge

So you’re still not going to just try it yourselves, but instead force a customer to do your work for you. Recabling a wall mounted setup is not trivial; neither is putting it back again.

It is quicker for me to extract the audio, convert it, and remultiplex it back into the video files, which I have for the mono movies.

I rate the support from Sonos as very poor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have the exact same problem. Mine is with the Beam (Gen1) and the Playbar.

playbar connected to a Samsung TV (Direct, Already ruled out the splitter although that causes no issues)
Beam Gen1 connected to a Sony A80J TV, connected Directly to a Sony 4K bluray player via arc port on TV. All other supported formats work fine.

The S2 app says its DTS Surround 1.0. If I change to the TV speakers I get sound so I know the signal is being sent

I have updated to the latest version of the Software

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @bradslk,

I’ve had a look into the chat you have with our support team and see that you’re using a HDMI-Splitter. While this type of setup can work with Sonos, it’s not supported and can cause issues. 

The step provided by the last agent is what I’d suggest as well, trying with the Nvidia Shield and Sonos Arc connected to the TV rather than via the HDMI splitter then checking if you’re still receiving no audio with DTS Surround 1.0.

There may be other users on the community with some more insight into the type of setup you’re running, but if you’ve tried the above and are still having issues, you should reach back out to our support team for further troubleshooting.

Badge

A long and frustrating chat with first level support to no solution. I can’t understand why support doesn’t just try it at your end, instead of making me recable my setup to see if that helps. This is not a trivial process with a wall mounted TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

HI @bradslk,

This is a strange one in the fact the app shows it’s receiving DTS but not playing it, it sounds like something is not being passed correctly.

I’d recommend submitting a diagnostics then reaching out to our support team, as they have the necessary tools to help troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

I hope this helps!