No 5.1 sound

• 19 March 2023
  • 5 replies

I am a new owner of Beam gen2. I have connected the Beam to my Samsung the Frame and apple tv 4k. 
When I look at Netflix and a film supporting Atmos, I can see in the Sonos app that I have Dolby Atmos. But when I look at a film with DD 5.1 I can see in the Sonos app stereo pcm 2.0. 
What is wrong with my settings? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7

That is strange. The only other thing I would try is rebooting the Apple TV and making sure the Apple TV and Samsung TV have the latest firmware/software installed.

It did not help, unfortenately. But thanks!

I did as you said, except for the HDMI cabel. I could not use the Sonos cable as I had to use a longer one. But it’s a good one.

But I noticed that everything works great with Samsungs own apps, Netflix , Viaplay etc with passing through. Both Atmos and 5.1.  Appletvs apps works with Atmos and the 5.1 films only deliver pcm 2.0.

Strange it is!

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have issues. Keep the setting set to Pass Through and then do this:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV  to the TV and test again.

Thank you! The last thing I tried was the passing-through setting. But with this setting the sound from Netflix, HBO Viaplay, disappeared totally. 
Any idea what could be the reason?

Userlevel 7

Be sure the TV is set to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

And the Apple TV is set to this audio setting:

Change Format: OFF