Answered

LG CX + ATV + Arc + Play:1 + Sub - Interrmittant no sound when switching apps

• 14 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’ve had my system for quite some time now, and though this issue has happened in the past, it’s started to happen a lot more often lately.

From all my scouring of forums, everything should be set up correct in terms of settings, etc.

LG CX

This is set to eARC and with the settings to pass though with the HDMI input set to Bitstream.

Apple TV 4k

I have this set to allow Dolby Atmos. I almost never have issues when listening to Atmos (usually via Disney+).

Arc

Truplay on. No real different settings done on this side.

There has been several scenarios that bring up this issue:

• Switching from Dolby Atmos to Multichannel 5.1/7.1

When going from an Atmos enabled movie (say Endgame on Disney+) to a Multichannel tv show on Hulu or Paramount+, the sound goes from working perfectly fine to nothing at all with no signal detected. If I try to switch back to an Atmos movie, sometimes the sound plays again, sometimes it doesn’t.

• Pausing during a Multichannel 5.1/7.1 Show/Movie

Lately it’s watching Star Trek Lower Deck on Paramount+, pausing the show for whatever reason, coming back to resume and now no sound. Opening and closing the app sometimes works, but mostly it does not.

Current Workarounds:

• Unplugging the Sonos Arc for a few secs and plugging it in 50/50 works. It use to work 100% of the time back when it happened extremely rarely, but now that it’s happening a lot more often this trick doesn’t seem to work as much.
  • Change the Apple TV sound settings to 5.1. This works 100% of the time. But it also means I have to manually swap the settings depending on what I’m watching. Not a deal break, but a little annoying.
  • Change LG CX settings to “Auto” instead of “Passthrough”. This works 100% of the time so far, but it also adds lip sync lag. So I don’t usually do this option.

I feel like these issues shouldn’t exist. I’ve read a few places that say Apple TV doesn’t always play well with Sonos via a TV? Not sure if that’s the reason.

Any help or insight would be great! I love my Sonos system (have a bunch throughout the house), but these little issues are an everyday occurence lately and would love to get it figured out.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 March 2022, 21:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Try this:

Disconnect the Apple TV and Arc from the TV and unplug everything from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Simplink is enabled in your TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app, and when the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV to the TV.

Badge

Try this:

Disconnect the Apple TV and Arc from the TV and unplug everything from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Simplink is enabled in your TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app, and when the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV to the TV.

Will definitely try anything! I’ll give this a shot today and report back! Thanks!

Badge

Tried it out yesterday and did a few swaps that generally bring up the “no sound” error and it seemed to be fixed! I did some regular daily watching across a few different apps and still good! I think this might have done it so thank you! Will update should anything else change!

What exactly does the “TV Setup” do? I remember doing it awhile back when I first go the Arc, but haven’t re-used that function since.