Answered

Inconsistent Atmos w/ Beam (Gen 2) and LG CX

• 4 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi all, 

I am new to the Sonos community, and I’m hoping you can help me understand what I’m doing wrong. I recently purchased a Beam (Gen 2) and Sub Mini. Something I was looking forward to was Dolby Atmos, however my experience has been inconsistent. When I first setup the Beam, I played the intro sequence to Top Gun Maverick, and the Sonos app was correctly reporting Atmos (and it sounded great). After bouncing around several apps, including watching content without Atmos support, I’m having a hard time getting the Beam to resume Atmos when it’s available. For example, when attempting to watch Andor on Disney+, the output was labeled as Dolby Digital 5.1, when the content is labeled as having Dolby Atmos. The only way that I’ve been able to get the Beam to resume Atmos is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable from the TV. 

Considering that I have gotten Atmos, I’m sure that the hardware itself isn’t the issue. I’m hopeful that this is a setting or other configuration issue somewhere that I’m missing. I would love to not have to reconnect the HDMI cable every time I want Atmos. 

Setup: Apple TV 4K, LG CX, Beam (Gen 2) and Sub Mini. Beam is connected to the eARC port via the included HDMI cable. 

Thanks for any help you can offer here! 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 December 2022, 16:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Does this issue happen with the TV’s native streaming apps or just the apps on the Apple TV or both?

I would unplug all of your devices from power for a couple of minutes. Then make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC: On

You might also try testing a different HDMI cable for the Apple TV.

I haven’t used the TV’s native apps, but that is an interesting thought to maybe isolate the issue. Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a look at the settings as well. 

Does this issue happen with the TV’s native streaming apps or just the apps on the Apple TV or both?

I would unplug all of your devices from power for a couple of minutes. Then make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC: On

You might also try testing a different HDMI cable for the Apple TV.

So far, it looks like these setting changes solved the issue! Thanks again!