Answered

How to control volume on Sonos Arc via LG new remote?

• 28 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have now new LG TV Oled65c2 which comes with new Bluetooth remote MR22GN (no IR support) and connected it to old Sonos Playbar via optical cable, sa it was expected that there is no volume control available on Sonos from that tv and its remote.

So I have decided to make upgrade and going to buy Sonos Arc and connect it to tv via HDMI eArc, but before doing that I would like to be sure that it will allow me to control volume of soundbar without any additional remote just through Hdmi Arc connection. Maybe this is trivial question but I want to be 100% sure 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 May 2023, 08:15

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, the C2 remote will be able to control the volume on the Arc. Just be sure to enable Simplink in the TV settings before you set up the Arc.

Badge

Thank you. This is what I thought. I will check when it will arrive 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My Samsung QLED can be configured to emit ir-commands to other devices, so the remote can stay on bluetooth. This does need a line of sight between TV (Connect box in my case) and the receiving device. LG does not do this?

With the Arc, the normal volume commands are handled via CEC from the TV, so the connection type between the remote and the TV doesn’t really matter.

Things are different on the optical connection, since it’s only one way. It’s relatively unusual to have an optical connection on an Arc, but required on the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and Ray. That is when the whole IR thing comes in to play. 

Badge

Afternoon All. 
I recently purchased the Sonos Bean gen 2. With an Lg C1, since setting both up the Sonos beam has only worked once with trying to turn volume up/ down mute, via my Lg Remote, I have tried everything did a factory reset turned simplelink on & off have updated to latest software still cannot adjust volume or mute tv. Thanks for any help in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you using the HDMI-Arc connection? Then Simplink (HDMI-CEC) should be on.

Badge

Yes bean is connected to hdmi earc2 & simplelink is turned on. 

Resurrecting an old thread as I simply couldn’t get my new LG G3 TV to control my PlayBar. Tried all the methods on all the old threads to no avail. Lots seems to have changed over the years, for example I don’t even have “SIMPLINK” as far as I can tell.

Anyway, maybe not a solution for all… but I happen to run Home Assistant at my place, and using that it’s been straightforward to query the volume-level and mute-status of the TV, and apply it to the soundbar. I’d have never thought to try this but came across a random post ironically while searching for something else!

SIMPLINK is a synonym for CEC in LG TVs. Because you’re using a PLAYBAR, which connects via optical, and not HDMI (CEC), SIMPLINK will not work for you. The only way the Sonos PLAYBAR can get a volume command is either via IR (InfraRed) or WiFi from the Sonos controller.