Feature request: full music playback mode for tv input

• 20 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m not sure how to submit a feature request and hope this post could work.

I have been using a Beam 2 and pretty happy about it. Recently I added Sub mini and era 100s for a full setup.

However, I just found that there’s no way to have a full music playback mode when the input source is TV. This is very inconvenient for me since I regularly use my TV to play music from YouTube (much more frequent than watch movies or play music from Sonos app) and with the current setup the rear speakers seldomly have any actual sound. I understand this depends on the music source, but for my use case, I hope at least I could have an option, just like playing music from the Sonos app.

Thanks!

8 replies

It’s a fairly common request, and yes, Sonos staff will see this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I wouldn’t be unhappy to see the Full option for TV sound too.

My example, watching a game during a party when most folks aren’t in a position to get the surround effect, then having a more even (all speakers) sound field would be better.

Userlevel 7

Although this is a welcome feature, I wonder how many users will keep the setting on “full” all of the time even when playing 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos audio? I think this is probably a concern for Sonos since this setting is not optimal for most TV audio sources.

And it will be less of a “full music playback” option (since Sonos can’t differentiate between TV audio and music audio from the TV) and more of a “full stereo” option as it would more than likely convert ALL audio to play full stereo out of the surround speakers AND Sonos sound bar.

Although this is a welcome feature, I wonder how many users will keep the setting on “full” all of the time even when playing 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos audio? I think this is probably a concern for Sonos since this setting is not optimal for most TV audio sources.

And it will be less of a “full music playback” option (since Sonos can’t differentiate between TV audio and music audio from the TV) and more of a “full stereo” option as it would more than likely convert ALL audio to play full stereo out of the surround speakers AND Sonos sound bar.

I would assume that the ‘full stereo’ option would have the surround speakers play surround when surround channels are present, and just play stereo when only stereo channels or present.  This is obviously possible since streaming music does this already form atmos music content. (edit: I assume this is the case. My atmos playing is not currently set to full stereo)

That said, I’d be happy with a 3rd option to play stereo regardless of current content. I think that would fit @Stanley_4 ‘s scenario better.  My ideal case, which is to have two amps connect to an outdoor TV and have potentially 8-12 (non-Sonance or Sonance) passive speakers setup as the same Sonos room, would also be better with the ‘always stereo’ option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AaronZhao 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

I would also like this feature. Would also be good when watching music concerts such as Glastonbury on TV

This is the exact problem I was having trouble trying to articulate! So glad someone else was able to describe the scenario correctly, I could not! Haha 

The scenario I was coming across was rather interesting. I would try and play the full YouTube audio from our tv in all sonos speakers (arc, gen 3 sub, 4 sonance ceiling speakers powered by the sonos amp) 

what I heard was full audio coming from the sound bar and sub, then distant/spatial, artifact sounding audio coming from the ceiling speakers. 

frustrating to say the least after paying this much for a full system.

Has anyone found a remedy for this yet? 

Userlevel 7

This is the exact problem I was having trouble trying to articulate! So glad someone else was able to describe the scenario correctly, I could not! Haha 

The scenario I was coming across was rather interesting. I would try and play the full YouTube audio from our tv in all sonos speakers (arc, gen 3 sub, 4 sonance ceiling speakers powered by the sonos amp) 

what I heard was full audio coming from the sound bar and sub, then distant/spatial, artifact sounding audio coming from the ceiling speakers. 

frustrating to say the least after paying this much for a full system.

Has anyone found a remedy for this yet? 

That’s how the system is designed to work. Most YouTube videos are in stereo, not 5.1. When the Arc detects stereo audio, it sends what is determined to be ambient audio to the surround speakers to create a faux 5.1 surround audio track. The better quality the stereo audio from the YouTube video, the more convincing the faux surround is. Some low quality stereo videos will produce little to no audio from the surrounds.