dolby atmos via somos arc through ARC?

Badge

I have à Sony ag8 oled tv With hdmi ARC, and not eARC. Do Anyone know in my tv can play atmos sound trough Sonos arc trough hdmi arc or is that impossible to me to get atmos sound through the arc? It haves 

Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus.

my tv:https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-a8gag8-oled-tv

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried playing Atmos content through your internal TV apps?

Badge

I dont have aatmos Soundbar yet, want to know if its worth to get ARC. 

Userlevel 7

According to this website, your TV supports Dolby Atmos through Dolby Digital Plus. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8g-oled

Dolby Digital plus can carry atmos content.  However, only streaming sources are likely to be in DD+, while bluray discs will be in TrueHD, which requires eARC.    As well, just because a TV is ARC capable does not mean it will send atmos content through to the Sonos Arc.   You’ll either need to talk with someone who has the same TV as you, get an answer from Sony, or just test it out yourself.

This chart is generally useful, but not for your question specifically.

The other option is to bypass the restrictions of your TV and get an Arcana, which is available for preorder.

Badge

If i understand you correct:

an exemple: Netflix shows in dolby digital plus, which Also my tv is supported. If i put arc througt ARC it should be atmos sound ?

Userlevel 7

an exemple: Netflix shows in dolby digital plus, which Also my tv is supported. If i put arc througt ARC it should be atmos sound ?

Based on the RTINGS website, your TV should play Dolby Atmos content via Dolby Digital Plus through the internal Netflix app on your TV. Be sure you have a “premium” Netflix subscription so you have access to Ultra HD content with Dolby Atmos audio.

Based on the RTINGS website, your TV should play Dolby Atmos content via Dolby Digital Plus through the internal Netflix app on your TV. Be sure you have a “premium” Netflix subscription so you have access to Ultra HD content with Dolby Atmos audio.

‘should’ is the operative word here.  Also note that most content in Netflix, everywhere really, is not available in Atmos.

Badge

I was wondering because its maybe stupid to even think about ARC If my tv is not support atmos sound in any dimension, and i should consider beam.  But if i understand this correct some content should been played in atmos sound and its not Waste to get ARC with my tv?

Userlevel 7

I was wondering because its maybe stupid to even think about ARC If my tv is not support atmos sound in any dimension, and i should consider beam.  But if i understand this correct some content should been played in atmos sound and its not Waste to get ARC with my tv?

What is your current setup? What streaming services do you use? Do you use any external devices like an Apple TV, Roku, or Fire TV Stick? Are you planning on using a Blu-ray player? Whether or not you get Dolby Atmos content depends on what your sources are.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wretling.erik.

Thanks for reaching out.

This article outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio.

These factors include the HDMI connections on your TV, most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. 

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Badge

Thank you!

then it should not been à problem with my tv ?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/ag8-series/specifications

HDMI AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL (ARC)

• Yes (ARC)

DOLBY AUDIO FORMAT SUPPORT

• Dolby™ Audio(Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus)
Badge

What is your current setup? What streaming services do you use? Do you use any external devices like an Apple TV, Roku, or Fire TV Stick? Are you planning on using a Blu-ray player? Whether or not you get Dolby Atmos content depends on what your sources are.

Using most Apple TV 4k connected to Sony ag8. If that is not possible with atmos i also can use internal app on Sony ag8. Mostly watching Netflix with 4k and HBO on Apple TV 4k. Not planning external blu ray

Userlevel 7

Using most Apple TV 4k connected to Sony ag8. If that is not possible with atmos i also can use internal app on Sony ag8. Mostly watching Netflix with 4k and HBO on Apple TV 4k. Not planning external blu ray

If I were you, I would leave a message on this AVSForum and ask other Sony AG8 owners about whether or not they can get Dolby Atmos audio from external devices like an Apple TV 4K:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-sony-a8g-oled-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3081106/page-25

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wretling.erik.

Thanks for the immediate response.

When using HDMI-ARC, you can get the Dolby Atmos audio (Dolby Digital Plus), but not the Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD) when using eARC.

HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.

I hope I was able to answer your question.Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you

Badge

Sorry to disturb you again.

I asked Sony and they said that my tv dont have support for Dolby atmos but have support for Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus. 

it that menas that Sonos ARC can convert dolby digital plus to atmos even if the tv is only digital plus ?

Userlevel 7

Sorry to disturb you again.

I asked Sony and they said that my tv dont have support for Dolby atmos but have support for Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus. 

it that menas that Sonos ARC can convert dolby digital plus to atmos even if the tv is only digital plus ?

Dolby Atmos is embedded into Dolby Digital Plus audio soundtracks. If the Sonos Arc receives Dolby Digital Plus audio with Atmos embedded, it should play Atmos audio.