Answered

Dolby Atmos not working hisense U8HAU

• 28 February 2023
  • 25 replies

Hi all,

I’ve just purchased a Hisense 65U8HAU TV which supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. I am pairing this with my Beam Gen 2. 

When playing audio from the TV to the sound bar, my app says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, rather than Dolby Atmos. 

I have done some googling and all of the advice online refers me to the TV’s sound settings, which are completely different on the Australian model compared to the USA model. The sound settings I can adjust say that the audio enhancement is Dolby Atmos. The sound bar is connected through the ARC, and the TV is up to date.

When accessing Netflix and Disney+, it also says the maximum audio quality is 5.1.

Any advice would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 February 2023, 17:37

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7

On the TV under the Advanced Settings under Sound, look for a Digital Audio Out setting and set it to Pass Through.

Userlevel 1

Although what GuitarSuperstar is correct and will enable ATMOS on all apps that provide it, there's an issue with the HBO Max app.

HBO Max shows the ATMOS logo, but it's not actually enabling the feature on receivers.

This might be a Hisense bug, but certainly both parties need to solve this.

HBO and Hisense?

Sonos is merely reporting what type of data stream it receives, with no judgement as to what is contained in that stream. 

Userlevel 1

HBO and Hisense?

Sonos is merely reporting what type of data stream it receives, with no judgement as to what is contained in that stream. 

How's this related to the concern?

certainly both parties need to solve this” is unclear which both parties are. There’s three under discussion, Sonos, HBO, and Hisense. Trying to determine which two of the three might need to be working on it. 

Userlevel 1

certainly both parties need to solve this” is unclear which both parties are. There’s three under discussion, Sonos, HBO, and Hisense. Trying to determine which two of the three might need to be working on it. 

Oh, sorry.

I meant that Hisense and HBO need to communicate and solve this. 

Then I certainly agree with you :) It’s unlikely, however, that either of those two companies ever bother to read posts here in this forum. Which is unfortunate, but not much we can do about that, I’d think. 

Userlevel 1

I just exposed the situation in a support chat with Hisense, as I could confirm with images from the TV's Menu itself, that Signal Info. indicates only EAC3 audio for HBO Max.

For Disney+ and others it indicates EAC3_ATMOS.

Not only that, it also showed that video was at 1080p; although this can happen when starting from a pause or restarting an episode, until the high-bandwidth is detected.

The agent said the case would be escalated with the images, and techs may call me afterwards.

I hope this is taken seriously, I had a similar situation with a Vizio that was never solved.

But this is fairly new, maybe with others reporting, they fix the issue; it's a Google TV issue also.

So, @australiantoby , you should also confirm and take pics of the Signal Information and send them through Hisense's support chat.

Signal Info. appears under Help, in the Quick Menu (two-line box icon on the remote).

I, too, never had success with escalating anything with Vizio. Best of luck!

I have this problem with the hisense U8K and the ARC/A300. Everything shows Doby 5.1. I cannot get Atmos at all. I have played with every settings . nothing works. It should be just enable passthrough and sonas would read the single of the movie. Not working 

Anyone find a solution ?

Looking at the specs for that TV suggests it can indeed pass an ARC signal to an Arc. Are you certain that you’re feeding an ARC signal to the TV? What is feeding the TV set?

On tv , set to pass through.  Any streaming service netflix or prime never get more than dolby 5.1. 

I have Nvdia shield on different hdmi and it also fails to pass atmos. 

For new tv hisense U8K , must have a bug . 

I am out-of ideas why it fails . I opened case with hisense support today . Let's see

On tv , set to pass through.  Any streaming service netflix or prime never get more than dolby 5.1. 

I am out-of ideas why it fails . I opened case with hisense support today . Let's see

Let us know how you go!

Userlevel 1

About 2 weeks ago, a new update was released by Hisense which corrected my HBO Max Dolby Atmos issue.

Please make sure you update your tv, then go to the audio settings and check that Dolby Atmos is ON; also re-check that your signal is passthrough.

Good Luck!

Can I learn the tv firmware you are running .  I see dolby atmos is turned off. I was thinking this was for the tv and not sonas. It's grayed out in the menu on the hisense  it looked ticked but says not available 

In speakers menu

Audio output - earc

Digital audio output pass through 

earc enabled 

V00000.07.5OS.N0801

When i check says this is latest version 

Thank you for your help 

Sorted , anyone need settings let me know 

Might be just as easy to go ahead and post the solution now, so that in x months, you don’t have to remember all the machinations required, for the next person who runs into this. 

Please post the settings.

Userlevel 1

I answered your request, but for some reason, didn't appear here.

It seems there's an issue posting through my phone, so, although you solved it, and I'm curious, I'll give it here again.

My TV is a 65” US unit.

Android OS is RTT2.21120.001

Software is V0000.01.00P.N0724

I did not update as it worked for 24 hours where I saw it stop working. It seems complete power restart Hisense / ARC / Shield resolved the issue.

I see atmos again on the sonas app. 

my TV is 75 inch 

version of hisense I have is N0801 as the end . Your version is N0724 . try updating to recent version 

update / clean reboot and tell me if you have issue still ?

Userlevel 1

I did not update as it worked for 24 hours where I saw it stop working. It seems complete power restart Hisense / ARC / Shield resolved the issue.

I see atmos again on the sonas app. 

my TV is 75 inch 

version of hisense I have is N0801 as the end . Your version is N0724 . try updating to recent version 

update / clean reboot and tell me if you have issue still ?

As I explained, the TV applied an update recently, that version difference could be related to country/regional, or some other spec.

Also, the only issue remaining is with Peacock, streams aren't in 4K, HDR, or Dolby audio. They're only in HD and stereo, if you can believe that.

Already reported to both parties, I'm sure this needs another update.

As I explained, the TV applied an update recently, that version difference could be related to country/regional, or some other spec.

Also, the only issue remaining is with Peacock, streams aren't in 4K, HDR, or Dolby audio. They're only in HD and stereo, if you can believe that.

Peacock doesn't do 5.1 or 4K on many devices.  

Userlevel 1

Peacock doesn't do 5.1 or 4K on many devices.  

Oh, but if the content is advertised as such on your unit, then it should.

And, you know, how is it that in the 21st century a stream service goes by 20th century standards!?

And, you know, how is it that in the 21st century a stream service goes by 20th century standards!?

Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just informing you of what I learned.  Hulu was the same way, but they’ve improved.  And YouTube still has 95% of it’s content which is marked as DD 5.1 or Atmos playing in stereo PCM. 

Userlevel 1

Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just informing you of what I learned.  Hulu was the same way, but they’ve improved.  And YouTube still has 95% of it’s content which is marked as DD 5.1 or Atmos playing in stereo PCM. 

Sorry, nah, not shooting anyone, but those situations make me a bit mad. Peacock is showing brand new content, like The Continental and Twisted Metal, and I refuse to see it at last century's standards...😣