Question

ZP80/90 connectivity

i have a sonos beam and 2 sonos one SL.  Does anyone know if either the ZP80 or ZP90 would be compatible.  i am looking for a way to send the sound from a projector to these speakers.

4 replies

i have a sonos beam and 2 sonos one SL.  Does anyone know if either the ZP80 or ZP90 would be compatible.  i am looking for a way to send the sound from a projector to these speakers.

Hi.  Don’t even think about it.  You probably need am HDMI switch / audio extractor so as to take the audio from the sources before it even gets to the projector.  What are your sources?

I mainly use a laptop via HDMI to the projector.  The sound currently comes from the projector

First, most projectors only output a stereo signal, and on an analog output. Second, you’d definitely have the minimum of a 70ms delay required for Sonos to bring in an analog signal. As John B states, this isn’t a great idea, unfortunately. You’re better off with wired computer speakers than trying to force Sonos into this kind of use. 

A better option than trying to use a ZP80/ZP90 (which would also prevent you from using the new Sonos S2 system from next month) would be to get an HDMI switch / audio extractor with optical out.  Run the HDMI from the laptop to a switch/extractor input, HDMI out from switch to your projector, and optical out of the switch to the optical to HDMI-ARC adaptor supplied with the Beam, and connect that to the Beam.

It means a trailing wire somewhere, but the Beam is really designed for use with a TV not a projector.