Question

Yet another DD+ to DD TV transcoding thread for Samsung TVs

• 21 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I have a Vizio P55-F1 that I’ve enjoyed for the last year. One of the best features of it is that it will transcode DD+ to DD to go out over the optical. All my devices send DD+ into the TV, it sends DD out over optical to the Playbar. I’ve verified that this is what is happening on the Vizio’s system information. It’s an optimal setup with Sonos.

Unfortunately, due to chronic backlight issues, Vizio is going to be refunding me the money, and so now I’m left to find a new TV. I’m looking at the Samsung Q70 series. I can find lots of posts on here about the UN and JS series, but nothing on the QN series.

Does anyone know if the Samsung will behave like the Vizio does: will the Samsung QN series Q70 take DD+ in and send DD out over optical?

If the answer is no, as much as I wouldn’t want to replace the Playbar with the Beam, I would accept that tradeoff. In that case: will the Samsung QN series Q70 take DD+ in and send out DD over HDMI ARC?

It seems to me that this transcoding is supposed to be part of the spec for handling DD+/DD, but you never know how things actually get implemented.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Have you tried contacting Samsung directly? I’ve not seen any discussion about anything like that on this Sonos forum. I didn’t even know my Vizio would do that.  

Badge +1

Unfortunately it’s a very specific question that most customer service agents have no idea how to answer. 

I’ll post my findings tonight. 

Badge +1

Conclusion: yes, Samsung Tizen TVs will take DD+ in and output DD over optical.