Works with Sonos - Pioneer SC-LX904

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos Port and Pioneer LX904
Set up the Port on the Pioneer, when i start playing on the music on the Port zones 2 and 3 turn on and play music.  problem is the zones do not turn off, so the amp stays on.  I have the auto power off enabled on the pioneer.  seems like the port doesn’t tell the receiver to shut down the zones that where turned on.  thoughts?

edit: i feel that the port should have been designed with hdmi port, which has native power management…  would be nice to have video as well.

11 replies

There is no way for PORT to communicate with the receiver over the RCA connections. If the receiver could respond to a 12V trigger (it cannot) PORT could shut down the receiver Zone 2&3.

If this is in your skillset, you could program a small computer such as a RASPBERRY PI to shut down the receiver with IR commands keyed by PORT’s 12V trigger.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It communicates over the network. That is how the receiver is turned on. 

I’m not familiar with your receiver’s details, but I doubt that you could program it to turn OFF the Zones in response to a CEC command. CEC is the command channel in HDMI connections.

If you can find the network protocol for the Pioneer a $6.00 Raspberry PI Pico W (plus power supply and a couple resistors) could easily solve your issue. Someone may have already published the program to do this. For someone already familiar with the PI, this could be a one evening project.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m not familiar with your receiver’s details, but I doubt that you could program it to turn OFF the Zones in response to a CEC command. CEC is the command channel in HDMI connections.

the bit about hdmi has NOTHING to do with the problem, just think it should have been designed with a hdmi port…

The Port needs to send a command over Ethernet to shut down the zones turned on by Sonos, for me it is zone 2 and zone 3.  leaving these zones on consumes 50 watts.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

sonos please help

Sonos support doesn’t read these forums, just Sonos forum moderators. In order to talk with support, you need to call in. 

Have you asked Pioneer why their “Works with SONOS” feature does not support this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Have you asked Pioneer why their “Works with SONOS” feature does not support this?

The “Works with Sonos” is a certification from Sonos (their words not mine). Definitely needs both sides to work together though. One would think that since this is a Sonos initiative they would pull certification. I wonder how @RottenMutt ’s amp meets the standard?

Did a Sonos update break the integration? Did it ever really work? Good luck getting support on this from anyone. IME it was less aggravating to connect my Port to a dumb amp and return the (doesn’t?) “Works with Sonos” product but YMMV. 

For the record the amp did work initially but after an update it didn’t. But of course this could be coincidental to the update 🙄

“Certification Mark

Our Works with Sonos program certifies products that seamlessly connect with the Sonos Home Sound System. The badge helps you answer the question, “Will this work with my Sonos?” The badge helps people choose products that meet Sonos’ exacting standards for design and sound.”

If you are within the window, I recommend returning one or both products and redesigning your system.

If you want to continue with PORT, you need an amplifier/receiver that will switch its power in response to a 12V trigger or you could install an external box that switches power to the amplifier/receiver in response to PORT’s 12V trigger. Note that, if you use an external box to switch power, remote controls that normally control the amplifier/receiver will not operate. Switching power by using an external box will result in minimum power draw while on standby.

From the Pioneer manual:

The following functions have been added due to firmware updates after you
made your purchase or changes to the firmware during production.
• You can register a maximum of 3 Sonos Connect to play music.
After registering the first unit in "Hardware" - "Works with SONOS" in the
Home screen, press several times to change the menu from "SONOS-1" to
"SONOS-2" and "SONOS-3" to register the second and third unit.
* Refer to this unit’s instruction manual for Sonos Connect connections and
settings on this unit, etc.
• When the "Volume Pass Through" mode has been selected with the Sonos
App settings, you can use the Sonos App to control the volume of this unit.
* You cannot use the "Preset Volume" function when the "Volume Pass
Through" mode has been selected.

Note that there is no mention of switching power. Also note that, from page 168 of the manual:

This setting allows the unit to enter standby mode
automatically after 20 minutes of inactivity without
any video or audio input. (When "USB Power Out
at Standby" or "Network Standby" is enabled, the
unit enters the HYBRID STANDBY mode which
minimizes the increase in power consumption.)
"On": The unit automatically enters standby mode
("AUTO STBY" lights up).
"Off": The unit does not automatically enter standby
mode.
• "Auto Standby" is displayed on the main unit’s
display and TV screen 30 seconds before
entering standby mode.
• "Auto Standby" does not work when Zone 2/
Zone 3 is active.

• Default values vary depending on the regions

Userlevel 1
Badge +1