Wireless headphones for use with Playbar?

• 4 January 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I know there are lots of topics on this, but they are all old. Any news on getting wireless headphones to work with playbar/sub? There is no way to listen to the tv privately with sonos at this point.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

But if you were listening through headphones in what sense would you be listening to the Playbar and Sub?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Maybe I should rephrase my question... Is there a way to listen to tv on wireless headphones? It would be awesome to pair the home theater with a set of headphones and listen privately at times.
If you are listening through headphones you are not listening to the home theatre system.. Sonos make speakers and you are not listening to the speakers. Get some Bluetooth headphones and a transmmitter. Mute the Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's too bad that there is such a gaping hole in the system. Switching sonos off and buying a another transmitter device is kind of a bummer. There are plenty of people who'd love to occasionally listen to their tunes or play the tv on headphones, without leaving the sonos environment.
Badge
I have an Apple TV and if I don't want to wake anyone I select the headphones from the bluetooth menu and use my wireless headphones. I know this doesn't help with other media devices but its an idea.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Interesting... I will have to try that out. I also have Apple TV. Thanks!
I have the same issue. Little kids upstairs at night and Game of Thrones blasting downstairs does not work. Nice to use headphones sometimes.
Can be done with Amazon Fire Stick https://www.cnet.com/how-to/use-bluetooth-headphones-with-your-amazon-fire-tv/
I have the same issue. Little kids upstairs at night and Game of Thrones blasting downstairs does not work. Nice to use headphones sometimes.Then get some headphones for the TV. This has nothing to do with Sonos.
Best bet is plugging headphones directly into TV - there is usually an audio port (3.5mm) on the back or side. Or a bluetooth transmitter and wireless headphones.
Userlevel 1
Let me elaborate on this question a bit and hopefully the Sonos people will answer it even though it's a bit old. It's still the first hit on my Google search.

This is possible of Sonos would update their app and their firmware on the Playbar. And it's incredibly useful. If I'm watching TV and I have my output always going to my sound bar, I don't want another system like wireless headphones only for my TV. I don't want to run a 30 foot cord from my TV to my headphones (which eliminates the assortment of Bluetooth headphones I have anyway). And I don't want an Apple TV or a FireTV - I have a TV and cable.

Here's the solution that works for anyone with Cable, Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast - or antenna. As long as you have a Sonos handling your Audio output...

Sonos should allow the app on my phone to tell the Playbar to redirect the audio to the app. The app should operate as any other app that can output sound. From there, let the iPhone or Android phone handle the sound and send it to the Bluetooth headphones that I already have paired.

Sonos, please address. This is definitely possible. Why not do it and open yourself up to an even wider market share? This additional feature would eliminate those costly devices people buy just to watch TV keeping the sound private. And you could potentially sell more units as people would possibly even want a 2nd Sonos unit for their bedroom TVs.

Brilliant mcchi! Thank you!
I gave you a response in one of the other several threads that you've posted this in.
Userlevel 2
Badge
If Sonos released a headphone product it would probably cost about $499 and sell like hotcakes. I'd prob buy a pair and cuss the price the entire time.
Userlevel 1
I agree with OP, a headset solution would be great. My mother is very hard of hearing, and at home, she has her own set of headphones I set her up with so she can hear whatever is on television. At my home, since I have a Sonos setup, it’s more difficult. Ideally, if there were a set of Sonos headphones, you could just add them as a “room” to the broadcast. Otherwise, it would be nice if the playbar, which really is intended for television, had a Bluetooth pairing option to hook up a headset for the hearing-impaired (or me, when my wife is asleep).
I gave you a response in one of the other several threads that you've posted this in.
Do you work for SONOS?
Good heavens, that would be nice. Getting paid!

No, I don't.
I have an Apple TV and if I don't want to wake anyone I select the headphones from the bluetooth menu and use my wireless headphones. I know this doesn't help with other media devices but its an idea.

I never thought of checking for this on my apple tv. You just made my day!