Question

Windows Outputs Stereo - Kodi 5.1

• 24 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

I've searched long and far, but can't seem to find anyone with the same issue. Looking for ideas to see if there is anything obvious I'm missing. Using a Playbar & 2x Play 3's.

Current set-up is:

HTPC (Windows 10 / nvidia GTX 960 HDMI Output for Audio and Video) - > Monoprice HDMI Switch - > Playbar (VIA Optical)

I've set Kodi to Passthrough and I get 5.1 for anything that plays though Kodi, verified through About My Sonos System.

Anytime I play Video or a Game through Windows though it is only pushing out Stereo, again verified through About My Sonos System. I've set the internal Speaker Set-up in windows to 5.1 and even tried stereo, but still only stereo is being sent out. Windows test only plays on left and right channel.

I've verified all content is AAC that I have been testing this with, and been at this for about two weeks trying to figure out whats going on here.

Any other thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, smh410. Thanks for posting the details of your setup. From the sound of it, you may need to take a closer look at Kodi to ensure that the content is being passed or converted appropriately. Additionally, it may be a good idea to verify that the games you are playing are putting out 5.1 to begin with. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to take a look at a diagnostic report while you are playing games through Windows. This will mainly just verify the signal the PLAYBAR is getting at the time, but it may give us a little more information to work with. Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end.

While I may not be the best resource for Kodi support, perhaps members from the Community can point you in the right direction.
Hello, I too am interested in this solution. My current set up
HTPC with m-audio 1010lt connected to mcintosh 7205 connected to magnaplanars and a velodyne sub. The HTPC is a win 10 unit running KODI. this is connected to a NAS. I use this unit to play audio and video for now.

I have several laptops all with kodi playing through PC speakers

I an currently building a 2nd HTPC to put in my media room mainly to pay videos

• My Dreamscape woulld be to add a 2 sonos 3 and maybe a sub to connect my HTPC in my media room.
  • Migrate all my laptops (4) to SONOS One solutions. All laptops are in 4 by 4 meter rooms (or do you recommend I use sonos 3 here as well)
If i understand you correctly, you set up kodi settings>system>audio to direct sound default and everything you decide to play on your kodi will be channelled to paired sonos speaker.

If I decided to play on one laptop throughout the house on all other sonos speakers could i do this.

Please advise if i am correct and advise on any additional components i would require

Thank you for your time and your response
Hello, I too am interested in this solution. My current set up
HTPC with m-audio 1010lt connected to mcintosh 7205 connected to magnaplanars and a velodyne sub. The HTPC is a win 10 unit running KODI. this is connected to a NAS. I use this unit to play audio and video for now.

I have several laptops all with kodi playing through PC speakers

I an currently building a 2nd HTPC to put in my media room mainly to pay videos

• My Dreamscape woulld be to add a 2 sonos 3 and maybe a sub to connect my HTPC in my media room.
  • Migrate all my laptops (4) to SONOS One solutions. All laptops are in 4 by 4 meter rooms (or do you recommend I use sonos 3 here as well)
If i understand you correctly, you set up kodi settings>system>audio to direct sound default and everything you decide to play on your kodi will be channelled to paired sonos speaker.

If I decided to play on one laptop throughout the house on all other sonos speakers could i do this.

Please advise if i am correct and advise on any additional components i would require

Thank you for your time and your response

I'm afraid you misunderstand the OP's setup. His Kodi sources were being output to a Sonos Playbar via an optical cable, which is a physical connection. In your setup, there is no physical connection to a Play:3 or Sonos Ones, and Kodi is not a source that can be streamed wirelessly. For you to connect a HTPC to Sonos, you would need a Playbar/Playbase connected via optical, or a Beam/Amp connected via HDMI-ARC.