Question

Will this entertainment center destroy the sound quality of an ARC or Beam?

As you can see from the photo, I currently have an old, cheap Visio sound bar in the bottom area of the entertainment center.  I’d like a new ARC or Beam by I worry that this placement means any top or side firing speakers are essentially blocked.  Am I just waisting money by putting an ARC or Beam in there?  There really is no room anywhere else for it.  I can’t wall mount the TV, and the TV’s stand is so short that any sound bar will cover the bottom of the screen if set in front.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@awindram You will need 5” of height for the Arc.  Based up the depth of your stand, I think it would be prudent to place the Arc on top of the stand directly in front of the TV.  If you find that the TV is too low, then you can take a lesson in frugality to lift it.  Buy 6 rolls of translucent shipping tape.  Place 3 rolls (flat) under the front bar of the TV support and place 3 rolls under the back bar of the TV support.  Then after placing the Arc in front, which is 45” wide, you probably won’t see the tape rolls.  If you do see them, get some black construction paper, and cut it to cover the outside of the rolls.  Check my other post where I did this to lift a Beam.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Or go with the Beam. No upfiring speakers (as there is no Atmos-support). No Dolby a Digital Plus either but it might suit your purposes better anyway. 

Might also consider the Amp and some dedicated bookshelf-speakers. For the price of an Arc you should be able to get a decent setup. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Correction to my earlier post:  The Arc is 4.5” height.   The Beam is 2.7”.  So Arc is 1.8” taller.  Honestly, I wouldn’t let the height be the deciding factor.  The price and sound quality you’re seeking should be first.  Then, do my trick to raise the TV.

I’m a little weary of raising the TV, especially with tape rolls.  The stand is a very weird design that appears to have a much larger contact area with the tabletop than it actually does. Between the kids, the dog, and the cats, it’s bound to get tipped.  I suppose I could try to build something with wood, but that’s alot more effort than I wanted to put into this.  I don’t watch that much TV.   

Tejs is probably right, I should just go with a Beam.  Now that I have FOUR Play5’s that are obsolete, I wonder if I could link  a couple of them to the Beam and keep the TV on its own separate S1 setup?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

From that angle, I can now see the stand better.  If you have other possible obstructions then the tape roll Idea might not work.  I can’t tell the length and width on that stand.  I don’t know if some like this could work.   Or even two of them end-to-end.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39162

While I have ‘legs’ on one TV, I used simple wall shelves from IKEA to raise my TV over the height of the PLAYBAR. 12 inch ones for under the feet, but the 43 inch (?) one for the TV with a foot stand, not unlike yours. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

While I have ‘legs’ on one TV, I used simple wall shelves from IKEA to raise my TV over the height of the PLAYBAR. 12 inch ones for under the feet, but the 43 inch (?) one for the TV with a foot stand, not unlike yours. 

I did exactly this with my beam, my lg 65 b7 sits nicely on a lack shelf, and would work for you too

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I’m a little weary of raising the TV, especially with tape rolls.  The stand is a very weird design that appears to have a much larger contact area with the tabletop than it actually does. Between the kids, the dog, and the cats, it’s bound to get tipped.  I suppose I could try to build something with wood, but that’s alot more effort than I wanted to put into this.  I don’t watch that much TV.   

Tejs is probably right, I should just go with a Beam.  Now that I have FOUR Play5’s that are obsolete, I wonder if I could link  a couple of them to the Beam and keep the TV on its own separate S1 setup?

Keeping the Beam and 5s as surround in S1 should be possible. You should set the Play 5s to play in full mode (not just surrounds) when playing music. The old 5s are really good for music in stereo. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @awindram 

Taking a cue from @Airgetlam you don’t need a riser that runs the entire length of the base. I’d guess that a riser in two parts 12 to14 inches x Depth of the stand x 2 inches would be enough support. Judging from your pics should be enough height to clear the Arc or Beam. 

The Ikea Lack shelf idea is great!  Thanks to all who suggested it.  Exactly the simple solution I was looking for.