Question

Will the beam send sound to the connect, then to other speakers?

• 26 July 2019
  • 3 replies

I currently have a Sonos Connect, hooked up to my existing Speakercraft wired whole home audio system to allow me streaming services and app control to music. One of the zones of this wired system is outside on a patio. I am enclosing the patio and putting a TV in that space and would like to use a Beam for the TV sound and for music as the existing wired speakers are behind where people would be sitting to watch the TV. My question is, when I connect the TV to the Beam, will it also be able to play the TV sound from those rear speakers that are connected to the Connect? In essence, once the TV is connected to the Beam, is it now also connected to the Connect allowing the audio from that one TV to play anywhere I want?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes. However, any Sonos device which is grouped with the Beam to play TV audio will suffer a slight delay due to the need to buffer the audio for transmission. Music will not see any delay.
Yes. However, any Sonos device which is grouped with the Beam will suffer a slight delay due to the need to buffer the TV audio. Music will not see any delay.

Thank you, just for clarification, there wont be a delay between the TV and the Beam, just the other speakers that are connected to the Connect?

Thank you, just for clarification, there wont be a delay between the TV and the Beam, just the other speakers that are connected to the Connect?

Correct. The Beam and any surrounds/sub connected to it use a 5 GHz low latency wireless connection to maintain sync with the video. Unfortunately, 5 GHz has not been found to be reliable going through walls, so any grouped rooms need to use the higher latency 2.4 GHz, which involves more buffering