Question

Will my Samsung UE40ES6540 pass through 5.1 to PlayBar?

• 7 September 2017
  • 7 replies

As per title - I've read a few things about this, like it not working if the input to the TV is HDMI - but I'm struggling to find the detailed tech specs for the TV. My BluRay player is connected to the TV using HDMI.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The BluRay player is a Sony BDP-S4500, so it has two outputs, HDMI and coaxial audio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I've bought an EDID emulator to try and pass 5.1 through my Samsung TOSlink, will see if it is needed or not. Have 4 HDMI devices to may end up needing 4 in the end though.

I beleve the Hdmi EDID handshake will class the TV as a stereo only device but some people have better results than others..
I Googled EDID emulator and found somethign on lindy; can't say I'm any the wiser though :-)

What is it?

And you said "to try to" - have you had any success?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
See if your Sony Blu-ray has option to downmix.to 5.1 also. I just purchased a Samsung Blu-ray player because of this ability.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Easier to buy a optical switch. TV and bluray in. Out to Playbar.
"Easier to buy a optical switch" - would you have any recommendations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I Googled EDID emulator and found somethign on lindy; can't say I'm any the wiser though :-)

What is it?

And you said "to try to" - have you had any success?

Google/ bay "kwmobile EDID Feeder".

Just received my playbar today and with my 7 year old Samsung LED TV it would not pass 5.1 through. Fitted the EDID emulator and it's now on full 5.1.

The kwmobile unit is size of a box of matches, very nicely made. You will need one for each HDMI source.

I'll be buying a couple more, like the simplicity of one TV controller and the Playbar been fed from the TV.

Very noticable difference in sound quality!.